midwest 14-Dec-20
T-rex 14-Dec-20
WapitiBob 14-Dec-20
coelker 14-Dec-20
Bowfreak 14-Dec-20
T-rex 16-Dec-20
New river 16-Dec-20
14-Dec-20
So me and a buddy will have 8 points going into the 2021 season. We are trying to figure out which units in Wyoming will give us the best overall experience.

Expectations are just to have opportunities on elk. Any legal bull is fine and quite honestly any legal elk is fine with me. We both have quite a bit of experience elk hunting with mixed results but feel confident in our capabilities.

Some of the units we are looking at are 39-9 Special draw 41-1 Regular with archery stamp 35-9 or 35-1 Regular with archery stamp 93-1 Regular with archery stamp

Grizzlies are not really a concern unless they try to eat us, then I am blaming you guys :)

We are planning DIY and do not have access to Wilderness areas so we are trying to pick areas that have the least amount Wilderness so we can hunt the entire unit. We have UTV’s so we can be pretty mobile hunting from a base camp. We are not opposed to going back with rifles if need be but prefer to get it done with archery equipment.

Any help/advise would be appreciated. I am not asking for anyone to do “our research for us” we are just looking for options and advise as we plan on burning the points this year so we can get into the normal general drawings in future years.

Thanks everyone Rich

14-Dec-20

T-rex's embedded Photo
T-rex's embedded Photo

14-Dec-20
It sounds like you are describing a general unit, to be honest. I think it's probably a better option than most LE units available to you.

14-Dec-20
You have no chance at 39 and I wouldn't hunt 35 if I had to use points.

14-Dec-20
8 points each or combined?

14-Dec-20

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Yeah, GoHunt needs to update their odds to the 2020 draw. 39-9 ain't happening with 8 pts.

14-Dec-20
Danaln - 8 points each Wapitibob and midwest thanks for the tip on 39-9

14-Dec-20
All odds are last years, no matter who’s they are, and remember you had 7 points when looking at those reports. Be sure to look at the number of applicants in your point pool too.

14-Dec-20
I will throw one out that I have been spying and not too certain about. Unit 11. I know some who have been there and seemed to have decent hunts etc. But as others have said a general hunt would have what you want. Most general units are not horribly busy during the archery hunt.

I hunted unit 25/27 on the draw last year and would recommend either to use your points. Killed a decent bull and had very few hunters, but the elk were hard to find and the forrest absolutely sucked due to all the blow down. That storm in early Sept. made it way worse than it already was. I would think maybe a general tag then pic an area... I can say that I have helped my buddy in WY hunt the general tag in archery and most days we saw more elk than people and we were never really messed up with a bunch of others. We could always get away and find elk to ourselves.

14-Dec-20
You are probably on the upper end of no man's land. I wish I could help you. I think if you don't have a truck load of WY points you probably should never have more than 2 or 3.

16-Dec-20
Thanks for all the help guys

16-Dec-20
Look at unit ,40 borders unit 38

• Sitka Gear