Nick Muche 15-Dec-20
YZF-88 15-Dec-20
JohnMC 15-Dec-20
Mark Watkins 15-Dec-20
bluedog 15-Dec-20
Nick Muche 15-Dec-20
Empty Freezer 15-Dec-20
14-Dec-20
Looking at a new rangefinder. Have read all the past threads on here but most are a couple years old. Looking at the Sig 1800bdx or Vortex impact 1000. Like the Vortex warranty but continue to hear the quality isn’t has good. Sig is real nice, but the warranty is only 5 years?

I have an old Nikon that has been working great for over 12 years but now is going to my son.

Any suggestions between the two brands or experience with warranty needs? Not sure if there is another brand that fits? Looking between $200-$300.

Thanks for any thoughts.

14-Dec-20
I would buy a high end vortex. Nice to buy a rangefinder for life. Just don’t buy leupold and their crappy 2 year warranty with their crappy rangefinders that seem to last 2 years and a month.

14-Dec-20
Of those I’d say Sig but have you considered Leica?

I’m with Ucsdryder Leupold rangefinders suck.

14-Dec-20
Sig

Vortex has the best warranty in the business for a reason.

Having said that, I did have to use the warranty on my Sig RF and they sent me an upgrade in ~2 weeks from shipping out my failing unit.

14-Dec-20
had both sig awesome Vortex crap

14-Dec-20
Love my sig... Vortex junk hints warranty

14-Dec-20
Love my sig... Vortex junk hints warranty

14-Dec-20
Sig. Much faster range reading, better display.

14-Dec-20
When I replaced my old Bushnell 3 years ago, I had every intention of getting a SIG, but ended up walking out with a Vortex Ranger 1500. Been lovin’ that piece of crap ever since.

15-Dec-20
I keep reading lately about Leupolds crappy service but I've had 2 different models for a combined 10 years or so and I've never even had to change a battery. Not discounting others experience but I've had good luck with mine.

15-Dec-20
I've had good luck with my vortex

15-Dec-20
Had the top end vortex, it was slow, sold it and bought a high end leopold, its great

15-Dec-20
SIG, but if you want to get something else get SIG

15-Dec-20
vortex

15-Dec-20
Vortex here, I have owned mine for 5 years zero issues. Works greats, Family/Veteran owned company.

15-Dec-20
I've got a Nikon, works just fine out to 600 yards.

15-Dec-20
I'm a Leupold fan for bowhunting. Instant angle corrected yardage in scan or single shot mode. My Leica is my backup due to the delay in giving the angle corrected yardage, and it only displays line of sight in scan mode. Serious shortcomings in my experience.

Not sure about the Vortex or SIG models.

15-Dec-20
Also...if you hunt sheep or goats or shoot steep angles, Leupold has a new rangefinder that corrects for cuts at all distances and angles. It works in conjunction with archers advantage and takes into account your actual sight marks. Yes.... everyone makes an angle compensating RF but they all fail at extreme angles and distances. Supposedly this new technology is awesome.

15-Dec-20
My vote is for the SIG, I've never been overly impressed with Vortex Rangefinders, except for the Fury 5000 bino/RF.

15-Dec-20
Of those two I’d say Sig as well. But since your used to Nikon...have you looked at the stabilized version. I bought one 2 years ago and it is amazing!!! You can easily hold it on an antler from over a 100 yards and get an accurate reading. Smooth and accurate!

15-Dec-20
Super helpful gents! Thanks for all the replies.

15-Dec-20
Vortex is crap, hence the lifetime warranty. The Sigs I’ve seen used by friends are great. Leupold is even better and for the comment they only last 2 years, mines been flawless for 8.

15-Dec-20
I’ve had phenomenal luck with my Leupold RX-1000 TBR.

15-Dec-20
I am a fan of Vortex as a company. I bought their rangefinder last year. It slow spitting out a range slower than my several year old Nikon. As much as I like Vortex I don't think I would buy their rangefinder again.

15-Dec-20
I have a Luepold RF (and the Leica Geovid w/ RF). Carry them both in my bino pack...on sheep hunts (Plan B if needed). Lots of steep downhill and uphill angles...use the Lupy 98% of the time for the past 8 years.

Put new lithium batteries in before each season (to be safe).

The Lupy has been accurate, and dependable!

Mark

15-Dec-20
I have a Sig 1600. Reasonably priced at around $250. Fast and has been flawless. It's very compact and I'm happy with the screen also. I've ranged deer and cattle at 750- 800 yards easily. Trucks at 1500 yards.

Did I mention it is fast?

15-Dec-20

15-Dec-20
vortex

• Sitka Gear