ki-ke 16-Dec-20
Live4MtnHunts 18-Dec-20
Rob in VT 18-Dec-20
Live4MtnHunts 18-Dec-20
Kurt 18-Dec-20
Chukar 19-Dec-20
q d m 19-Dec-20
15-Dec-20
If you had to pick a 10 day stretch to hunt big bull moose in northern BC, what would it be? I’m considering late Sept into early Oct.

Thoughts?

15-Dec-20
10-1 - 10-11

15-Dec-20
Since you will have to hunt with an outfitter ask them which week is best in their area. Ask several just to make sure someone is not trying to push you towards an open slot.

15-Dec-20
I’d lean towards the first 10 days in October as well

15-Dec-20
Amen

15-Dec-20
I killed one near the Yukon border that came to the call on September 22nd.

15-Dec-20

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
Got mine in early October near Toad Riverv

15-Dec-20
Yes the outfitter said early Oct as well. Just doing a fact check!

Nice one gobbler, congrats on a fine bull.

16-Dec-20
That’s why AK shuts the season down the last week of Sept. and October 1st In some units. They just start cranking up really good the last week of Sept

16-Dec-20
I'd go in July if I could AFFORD it!!

16-Dec-20
Moose are typically callable during the 3 and 4th week of Sept. By the end of Sept they seem like they are really with the cows and harder to call....but I am no expert. As Altitude Sick says about the closures in AK, we also have some rut closures from Sept 25 (or 15) to Oct 15 and others from Oct 1-10 (or 15).

16-Dec-20
Nice bull Gobbler! Too bad it wasnt any fun! You guys both look like you have a serious case of mud butt.....

18-Dec-20
I'll share something I learned last year hunting in northern BC last Oct (first 10 days or so). There are different times of moose season where the same bull would be legal or not. During my hunt, they needed 10 points on a side or 3 brow times (I believe). We found 1 legal bull but he was really young and it just wasn't what I was interested in. We did see about 15 bulls or so that I would have been thrilled to take but they usually only had 2 brow times and 8 or 9 points (with several bumps that were too close to call points). Some of these bulls would have been close to making B&C all time book because of their other measurements but ultimately weren't legal. If I had gone earlier in September....I believe these bulls would have been legal. I still had an amazing experience seeing moose, deer, elk, stone sheep, mountain goats, porcupines, wolf (tracks and howls), grizzly bears, black bears, spruce grouse, etc. Beautiful country and some place I always wanted to go and experience. If "killing" a moose is really important to you....it wasn't the end of the world for me....this may cause you to consider timing for completely different reasons. Good luck....

18-Dec-20
Where they not legal later because they broke points off?

18-Dec-20
No....these huge bulls simply didn't grow the required # of points or brow tines. Several were upper 50's with long and wide palms. In September, I don't believe there are the same requirements to harvest a bull. If you like the bull, you can harvest it. Could give you more options. To be fair, what I experienced is probably pretty rare (to see that many mature bulls without any making the minimum restrictions) in a quality area in Northern BC.

18-Dec-20
Not all areas have the same moose antler point and date closure restrictions in N BC. Need to know where you are hunting to be sure whats legal.

Instead of managing hunter numbers, in most cases BC manages by antler point restrictions and sometimes rut closures, whether moose, caribou, deer or elk. Sheep are managed by curl and/or age. This makes good optics...bino and spotter with phone scope dang valuable.

19-Dec-20
What Guardian said.

19-Dec-20
Last 10 days in Sept.

• Sitka Gear