WV Mountaineer 18-Dec-20
Charlie Rehor 18-Dec-20
Ziek 18-Dec-20
Kurt 18-Dec-20
timberdoodle 22-Dec-20
Kurt 22-Dec-20
Ollie 22-Dec-20
16-Dec-20
In typical arrogant, know-it-all fashion, the Obama administration instituted a ban on the importation of legally taken polar bears. That ban has remained in effect throughout the Trump Administration's tenure. Canada has had and continues to have a polar bear management program that carefully monitors and manages the various polar bear "populations" throughout Canada. The last report that I saw, all but one of the populations were increasing. One population was labeled "stable". These studies are obviously ignored by the mainstream press as well as the "I know more than you do" US politicians. Unfortunately, the polar bear has become the poster animal for climate change. Disappointingly, SCI and the Conservation Force have abandoned this issue in favor of the importation issues relating to African game. Prior to the Obama ban, there was a group of bears that were legally taken and awaiting importation into the US. After the ban, bears were and continue to be legally harvested. They bring in much needed revenue to many Inuit villages and they must continue to be managed to keep their populations in check and in balance with their environment. Both of these groups of legally take bears remain in Canada due to the Obama Ban. It is time for the President to act and allow these bears to come into the US.

16-Dec-20
Agree 100%

16-Dec-20
I'm probably wrong, but I thought that the importation ban was due to the Marine Mammals Protection Act from the 1970s and thus required an act of Congress to get those bears in.

16-Dec-20
Yes, pardon the Polar bears.

16-Dec-20
he'll be getting right on that one!

16-Dec-20
41 guys with white bear capes in purgatory constitute a meaningless voting block.

16-Dec-20
There are a lot more than 41 bears and it is the right thing to do.

16-Dec-20
He's got 35 days to get it done.....not looking good.

16-Dec-20
Would love to see it happen, but would be shocked if it happened.

16-Dec-20
While the situation sucks, I can't imagine this is even on his to-do list.

16-Dec-20
Crazy how the side that says listen to the science refuses to listen to it concerning polar bears. A shame they cant be imported.

16-Dec-20
Email his son.Doesnt Pat know him?

16-Dec-20
I thought the polar bear ban has been in place for decades? My uncle went last year and actually spent time with Don Jr in between airports and Don said that his dad would get it done ????? Getting kind of late now

16-Dec-20
2024-2028

16-Dec-20
Since lawlessness is being condoned everywhere by politicians I suggest you just drive up and bring it back into the states. Tell anyone that asks that it’s a therapy blanket.

16-Dec-20
"Crazy how the side that says listen to the science refuses to listen to it concerning polar bears."

Politicians on both side invoke and ignore science when it suits their purpose.

16-Dec-20
Or just tell them you're going to make it into a Black Lives Matter banner. No problem!

Or tell them that even thought it's white, it identified as a black bear.

16-Dec-20
Quote: “I thought the polar bear ban has been in place for decades”.

Since 2008, I believe.

16-Dec-20
They were put on the endangered species list in the US (Alaska) in the 70’s. The ban on imports to the USA wasn’t till ‘08 under the Obamanation.

16-Dec-20
A polar bear's skin is black.

16-Dec-20

huntinelk's embedded Photo
huntinelk's embedded Photo
Not that it makes what the government doing is right, but there is an option of a reproduction of your polar bear. Since there is no actual polar parts or pieces used, you can bring your repro mount to the US. Advanced Taxidermy, in Ontario

16-Dec-20
I've all but given up on this happening. I would be beyond surprised at this point. Its been a long 12 years.

16-Dec-20
Gentlemen, it doesn't take much looking, but the ban was authorized by the 1972 MMPA and the 1973 ESA (both Nixon administration), and the ban was set in place in 2008 (Bush administration).

16-Dec-20
Here's a deal. Canada should be allowed to send us the polar bear hides, we'll send them the ex-President. Seriously though, it seems Ovis2 's information is correct.

16-Dec-20
I’d say we trade liberals for the right to import them. Life in America would be much better. lol

16-Dec-20
Pat oughta get with his buddy Don Jr. to put a bug in his Dad's ear...8^)

16-Dec-20
Since lawlessness is being condoned everywhere by politicians I suggest you just drive up and bring it back into the states. Tell anyone that asks that it’s a therapy blanket.

Or say, at the time I shot this bear it was self identifying as a Black Bear so perfectly legal to import...unless you’re a bigot and are racist towards black bears. Do I need to dox you???

17-Dec-20
I just wrote the guys for the replica full mount price .Has anyone done this??? How much was it and does it look good? I'm trying to decide what to do with mine because when Biden is in there will be zero hope on my end .

17-Dec-20
I’m sure everyone has their opinion on replicas but I couldn’t do it. I don’t fix broken deer tines either. It’s got to be the real deal or nothing at all.

I also imagine it’s pretty damn expensive. Imagine shelling out 8k and the next administration allows the bears to be imported?

17-Dec-20
What would the real mount cost? Guessing not cheap either.

Next administration? I'd put that likelihood up there with OTC Swamp Creature tags.....

Might be worth a polar bear replica though, just to watch a few heads explode. Maybe hang a sign that says "save a baby seal today!"..... faux fur probably easier to clean too....

Hey Matt! There's an idea! Maybe they offer a CA model mt lion rep!

18-Dec-20
As a hunter I always thought I was better educated but I was wrong. I bought into the polar bears are not doing well BS for to long. I finally looked into it and polar bear numbers are at the highest numbers ever recorded. I have yet to meet a person who knows this.

The media is soooo biased.

18-Dec-20
"I have yet to meet a person who knows this."

Everybody here knows this! While your at it - you might as well look at the Man Made Global Warming false/bias/skewed data as well, goes hand in hand with the Polar bear farce.

I blame Coca-cola as well for making it their mascot! I'm Kidding! (not really).

18-Dec-20
The sad truth of it is that both parties ignore the truth and science. The Dems will never concede that the polar bear populations are doing well and actually increasing because it goes against their climate change narrative and the Republicans don't have the balls to challenge them due to being excoriated by the press. I was under the impression that his ban could be lifted by an executive order, but it appears like a change in the law would be required. This means that the republicans would have to have control of the house, senate and the Whitehouse and then you would have to convince them to do it. Unlikely. Too bad for the Inuit communities who suffer as well as the bears themselves. No science involved in this issue - all politics.

18-Dec-20
^^^^This^^^^

18-Dec-20
You’re not getting any younger. Get the replica so your trophy room looks finished in your elder years for you and loved ones to enjoy.

18-Dec-20
Did I miss something? Did Canada suddenly ban polar bear hunting? Or is it just that too many polar bear hunters are not interested in the experience, just the trophy? Maybe you should get your priorities straight? I get that the ban on importing them is stupid, but it's not nearly as bad as ban on hunting them.

18-Dec-20
You can't get into Nunavut or the NWT right now unless you are an essential worker, even if you are a Canadian from outside of Nunavut or the NWT. There is no ban on polar bear hunting, just importing them to the US.

The Inuit communities in polar bear country each get an allocation of tags each year. They have their own resident Inuit LEH draw for them and a few are available to NR "Sport Hunters". They pretty well tag out the quota each year in the community I hunted out of.

22-Dec-20
Mad Trapper & Treeline - I think you meant the Bush Administration. The ban officially went into effect in May 2018. Obama wasn't elected until November 2018.

If Trump cared so much about the hook & bullet crowd, why hasn't he acted on this before? He had 2 years where the republicans controlled all 3 branches of government and didn't do anything.

Treeline, I think you do have one thing right - it's less to do with science than politics, and in a world where politicians lose by 7 million and still tell people they won, I don't have a lot of hope that facts and science will mean a thing.

22-Dec-20
I think Timberdoodle is a decade off with his 2018 dates for Obama being elected??

22-Dec-20
Doodle, I think Trump had more important priorities his first two years.

• Sitka Gear