Rsquared 18-Dec-20
Tracker 19-Dec-20
Rsquared 19-Dec-20
XMan 19-Dec-20
joehunter 19-Dec-20
Rsquared 20-Dec-20
Rsquared 22-Dec-20
16-Dec-20
I got some of the old school original rocket STEELHEADS and have heard nothing but great things about them but the blade sharpness is really affecting my confidence in them, should I be worried?

16-Dec-20
Also I'm only getting about 2-1/4 turns with them into my insert. They tighten up but that just doesn't seem ideal. I put some bow string was on the threads just to help keep them tight even tho I haven't really had an issue with them loosening.

17-Dec-20
One of the best mechanicals ever! You can touch up the blades

17-Dec-20
Wouldn't that be pretty hard with how small the blades are, and is it ok that I'm only getting a little over 2 turns into my insert before it's seated. That doesn't seem like much to be holding into onto the arrow

17-Dec-20
I think you might be talking about the old Rocket "Ultimate Steel" fixed blades? They were notorious for not having enough threads to seat into the insert. I tried a pack and could not get them to lock in but blades were really sharp.

I have been shooting the Rocket Steelhead 125s for about 20 years (the mechanical BH) and have killed elk, pronghorn and whitetails with no problems and pass throughs on all - even elk. Totally different BH design from the "Ultimate Steel." Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions for the Ultimate Steel BH.... maybe shoot them at small game? Pete

17-Dec-20
Most broadheads only have a couple threads. It doesn't matter how far they thread into the insert as long as they are fully engaged.

17-Dec-20
Definitely my favorite BH.

17-Dec-20
It’s easy to sharpen small heads on a strop. Take them out and hold with thin needle nose pliers and strop on leather with a compound.

17-Dec-20
Ok, I to answer the guy a few posts up, no they are not the ultimate steels fixed head they are the old original steelhead 100s, and I also came across a pack of un opened replacement blades and when I got them I was shocked at how dull they felt.. I thought maybe it was just me bcs might I'm not the most experienced bow hunter. I also thought maybe they could somehow unscrew when going into a deer or if they hit something hard come loose , sense there was so little thread engaged into the insert. I think I got about 6 of the original steelhead 100s and 3 of the original 125s..I really like the design and they seem to well made except for not feeling sharp at all!!! I also have 3 of the newer silver ones but they don't feel like they are made of good quality materials

17-Dec-20
I've used them and have a bunch of the 100s and 125s. I haven't noticed how many turns it takes to tighten, but I've never had one loosen. As far as sharpness, mine have always been sharp enough to catch on a fingernail. Have never checked to see if they shave hair. They have always killed animals for me if I put it in the right place. Have also never had a poor blood trail with the exception of one time when I exited too far back and the exit plugged with gut. Found the deer so no biggie. Great heads and my favorite mechanical, especially the 125s.

17-Dec-20
The 125s in 1.25 diameter are killer. Always had plenty of tread on them. Agree that the blades could be a bit sharper. I take them off and sharpen them with a KME.

17-Dec-20
I've been a steelhead100 guy probably since they came out. I have to admit i wish the blades were sharper, but I still use them and for everything, from turkey to elk and everything in between. When i found out they stopped making them i bought all I could find. I have the new and the old ones and yes believe the old are much better than the newer ones. Ed

17-Dec-20
Great broadheads, killed quite a few deer with them. Not sure why they stopped production? Everyone I knew that shot them loved them.

17-Dec-20
Well this may sound like a dumb question but can broadheads just become dull over time? Like these unopened packs I bought are probably 15 years old, can they become duller just sitting in a pack that long?

17-Dec-20
And if anyone ever has any they wanna sale, let me know. Like I said, I really like them but the blade sharpness thing was the only thing that had me a little concerned

17-Dec-20

Rsquared's embedded Photo
Death dealers
Death dealers

17-Dec-20

Death dealers
Death dealers

17-Dec-20

17-Dec-20

18-Dec-20
So why do you guys like this head so much? Serious question. They have a small diameter cutting surface, many fixed blade heads are larger. I have read of the sharpness problems for years.

So what makes these heads so special?

18-Dec-20
I have the XP ones and absolutely love them. Wish they still made them

18-Dec-20
The Steelhead 125's were incredible heads. I wish they still made them.

18-Dec-20
The original Steelhead 125's were incredible heads. I wish they still made them.

18-Dec-20
Ironbow-cell, because they are durable (all steel), penetrate as good or better than a lot of fixed heads, fly like a field point, and guys who use them know that you don't need a 2" cut to kill an animal and get a good blood trail. Why choose one over a fixed head? Good question, but it probably boils down to flight. I don't care how good you are at tuning your bow, this head will fly better if you don't have a good release, have less than perfect tune, or if there is a lot of wind. Why not use a big cut mechanical if you are going to use a mechanical? Another good question. But penetration is the answer. You won't get a 2" cut to penetrate as good, especially if bone is hit.

18-Dec-20
Ironbow-cell, Here is why I like them, Fly just like my field points. They are very very, did I mention they are very strong. They penetrate better than any head that's 1 1/8 inches wide. I believe that maybe to the fact that they have no vents for anything to catch in them to slow them down and well swept-back blades.

Three,, notables cases for me. 180 Ibs black bear heavy quartering away, hit right behind the left hind quarter, arrow came out in front of the right front leg, head 100% intact...

Elk,, 56 yds slight quartering away, down hill, arrow hit right behind right shoulder hitting the left humerus and shattering it, head 100% intact.

Elk, 30 yds quartering to, hit the top of the left scapula arrow made it half way into the right tenderloin, head 100% intact.... Also I know of many shooting short draw (kids women) lower poundage getting good to complete penetration with them.

I hope someone picks up the design of this head and brings it back. I too right now buy them anytime I come across them. Ed

18-Dec-20
Thanks for the info.

18-Dec-20
Great head for light poundage bows. My kids killed a bunch of MI deer with them back in the day with their 40 to 50 pound 2003-2010 era youth bows with short draw lengths. I have several packs stashed away for my soon to be daughter-in-law who is draw weight and draw length challenged. Wasp jak-hammers are an excellent option (sharp) with similar function with out the tiny screws. They come in many weights and cutting diameters. They are our go to head for all game and have killed a pile of animals for our family.

18-Dec-20
Have any of u guys had good luck with the last ones they had out on the market? The silver ones, I ask bcs they seem to be a little sharper but not as durable?

18-Dec-20
I have used the 125 grain Steelheads for years and love them. I don't know why, but everything i shoot with them dies within sight! I'll take any 125s anyone has.

18-Dec-20
What would be the closest thing out on the market today to the steelhead 125? The grim reaper fatal steel in 1-1/4? There a little pricey tho

18-Dec-20
The silver ones are what I have in my stash. They seem fine to me and no different than the orange colored ones Trophy Ridge marketed. The orange heads ferrules were slightly different then the original Rockets. The silver ones will shave hair.

18-Dec-20
I don't have any experience with the gold colored ones but I have some of the black ones( from the original rocket company before they sold to trophy ridge) and I have some of the newest silver ones trophy ridge made from like 2015-2017... The silver ones are sharper and have a shorter more scalloped ferrall. The cuttinng diameter is slightly less on the silver ones compared to the black ones. The silver ones feel like they aren't made with the same quality steel as the originals and the blades on the silver ones feel cheap. I actually glued the blades shut on a silver head and they came half way open after shooting my target so I took a hammer to try and just tap them shut and I was shocked at how easily the blades broke. I barely tapped them and they broke about 3/4 up the blade.. I have never killed anything with a steelhead bcs I just became aware of them last off-season. I'm sure the silver ones work fine but the originals in my opinion are made better( made in the usa) my only doubts are in the sharpness of the blades, so that's why I posted this thread to get some opinions

18-Dec-20
What are u guys opinion in the spitfire in 1-1/2 cut? I'm shooting a 60 lbs draw 29 inch draw length and a 413 grain arrow? That's The broadhead I originally was gonna go with but after searing forums and the internet I came to the conclusion that 1-1/2 cutting diameter is a little to large especially with only shooting 60 lbs

19-Dec-20
I have been using them for years. They did have a bad batch that were short on threads. I have had them twist off while going thru a deer never to be seen again lol. They are a good head and I still shoot them but they are running out. I have to say the new ones seem to be ok.

19-Dec-20
Well idk what I'm gonna do, it might just be easyer to just buy some jakhammer 1-1/4 and less stressful but I really really like the feel of the original STEELHEADS . It's the the blade sharpness thing and I'll probably just make them worse if I try to sharpen them and I'm concerned that I only have about 2-1/4 thread holding them into my arrow. Would honestly probably just be less hassle to use the silver ones or go with something different but will see. The 125 grain ones I have are sharp but the blades have some knicks in them

19-Dec-20
Not a fan, small holes and blades break. I shot two deer and then threw them away.

19-Dec-20
Rsquared - if you do your part the 100 grain 1.25 inch cut Wasp Jak-Hammers will be a reliable, tough, sharp, fly great head for 60 pound well tuned set up. I have a couple family members who shoot around 60 and use the 1 1/4 cut version. Kill stuff just fine!

20-Dec-20
Joe hunter- pass throughs?

22-Dec-20
Would anyone want to trade me 3 100 grain original STEELHEADS for the 3 125 originals STEELHEADS I have? The 125s I have a few little knicks on the blades. Not a problem for somebody who knows what they are doing when it comes to sharpening blades, I unfortenetly would probably just make them worse if I tried to sharpen them. They are decently sharp but bcs of the knicks I'll probably never use them so would like to maybe trade them to someone who would and I like the 100s. I'll attach a picture when I get home they aren't bad at all and I believe they have never been shot into anything before. I never shot them into anything and I believe the guy who I bought them off of when he told me he never did either. I just think they got the chips from over time and just from being old.

• Sitka Gear