DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
1800s California

23-Dec-20
A lifetime of trophies on the wall

23-Dec-20
I bet he could shoot that bow.

23-Dec-20
probably close to the last time California was a good place to live. :)

23-Dec-20
Just think how many pelts he’d have on the wall if he had turned that horseshoe the other way.

23-Dec-20
I was thinking the same thing t-roy!

He was probably conserving nails ;-)

24-Dec-20
Maybe he just wanted good luck to come pouring down all over him every time he went through the door?

24-Dec-20
Maybe it was after the Civil War and he couldn’t own firearms. Or he just couldn’t afford a firearm.

Most poor people didn’t hunt for sport.

24-Dec-20
Photo just depicting signs of the times...

"probably close to the last time California was a good place to live. :)"

That was a good one...8^)

24-Dec-20
Amazing pic. Cant help but wonder... Did he eat the skunk?

24-Dec-20
I'd like to here some hunting stories from him.

Wonder how they ever killed anything back then without Kuiu, Ozonic's, Nose Jammer, Sitka. :)

24-Dec-20
A real bow and arrow hunter, do not see many these days.

24-Dec-20
He’s probably got one of them new fangled steel broadheads.

24-Dec-20
Honestly how many think today's camo is necessary? I like the old times ways. Hell I shot my buck last year in a pair of bright red shorts, a white t shirt and rubber boots. Shawn

24-Dec-20
For a second, I thought that was me in the picture, but then his beard is longer than mine and I never shoot a skunk with an arrow.

Merry Christmas guys. my best, Paul

24-Dec-20

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
No camo needed. I had 33 deer walk by me the other night while wearing blue jeans. About 25 entered the field 30 yards from me.

24-Dec-20
That NJ did the trick Jason?

;-)

24-Dec-20

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
That fella has all the cover scent he needs after skinning that skunk. My daughter kills deer at less than 15 yards without face covers and in blue jeans usually. Now when the 8 year old is fidgety we have problems. The camo shirts are just to look the part.

24-Dec-20
No nosejammer involved. Did have one doe smell something she didn't like and refused to come into the field.

24-Dec-20
Yes mr Kansas, we all know you’re the greatest hunter ever

24-Dec-20

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
28 yard neck shot.
LINK's embedded Photo
28 yard neck shot.
My daughter was wearing camo and orange on this rifle hunt. The 6&7 year old were wearing solids and I was wearing blue jeans. Multiple deer at 28 yards.

24-Dec-20
Paul that’s yur younger brother.

24-Dec-20
LINK- Remington 700 with a Nightforce? What caliber?

24-Dec-20
We hunt the suburbs, camo is to be invisible to dog walkers.

24-Dec-20
Hey, skunk (polecats as my Grandpa called them) pelts brought big dollar back in the day... My Grandpa was born in 1901 and trapped them as a kid and said they brought more money than any other critter when he trapped... He graded them, blacks to whites, blacks being black all over with maybe a little white on the head and neck , then the ones that had thin strips to just over the shoulders (he had a name for them, can't remember) and other grades of whites with stripes all the way down... I think however the whites were graded how wide or how much white they had... Blacks and forks bringing the more money... Dang, I miss my Grandpa who passed when I was 16 and could talk with him now...

03-Jan-21
Not moving is the best camo ever!! Having said that there are places where if you wear something that doesn't blend well you will never get a 15-20 yard shot just depends on the pressure on the herd! Gotta love the old school pics!!!

03-Jan-21
Thornton it’s a .22-250 that I bought with intentions of converting to a .22-243. Ive never converted it but killed coyotes at 500. The night force is awesome. I won it in a raffle in a calling contest. I don’t own a “deer” hunting rifle. In Oklahoma a legal deer rifle is a center fire with a 55+ grain bullet so it does the job when asked. With neck shots only.

03-Jan-21
Heck, I bow hunted for years in blue jeans and a green and black plaid wood shirt. Killed plenty of deer. Then I was in an Army surplus store and bought some camo for a very low price. Bought an Army pup tent too. I killed a turkey while working in my garden and I was wearing a bright yellow shirt and green shorts. Not moving is the key. It was turkey season and I had my shotgun, loaded, just in case. My wife videoed the shot out of the kitchen window. She wanted to know why I didn't shoot the huge gobbler instead of the Jake. The big gobbler was much closer to me. I told her I was going to eat it and thought the jake would be better on the table. I'm just not a trophy hunter and have let bucks walk by to shoot a doe. Now I have learned to use a crock pot I will shoot bucks since everything is nice and tender from the crock pot.

03-Jan-21
I would love a Nightforce on my 7mm mag. 700 model. Not sure why that’s a surprising combo. My 700 is extremely accurate at long ranges.

03-Jan-21
Remington makes a good action at a fair price too. Drop a tight twist barrel in one and they shoot long range as good as anything.

03-Jan-21
A couple buddies built 22-243s set up for the heavy VLDs. Barrel life was relatively short but they were a ton of fun while they lasted. Honestly would last a guy many years if you just shot coyotes but they were so much fun to play with we shot them all the time.

04-Jan-21
I have model 70 243 that is very old. I my dad bought it in the early 50's. It is like brand new and I was offered $2000 for it years ago. Seems it has a serial number when they were hand made. I killed deer with it but it hasn't been out of my gun safe in years. Last time I shot it was out of the kitchen window and killed a groundhog eating my string beans. I used a bullet that my dad had hand loaded for me to hunt deer in Maine when I was 15 years old. I am now 78 years old. The ammo worked fine.

04-Jan-21
Glunt my brother was shooting a 95 grain Sierra through his. The sierras were too hard, he was punching holes through coyotes and they would run off so he switched to a 88 grain Hornady. It’s neat to hear that bullet vs most calibers. Those long .22 bullets being pushed at around 4000 FPS sound like little missiles.

04-Jan-21
I built a .204 Ruger on an AR platform. It’s convenient with the AR. Just remove two pins and go from 5.56 to a .204 upper

05-Jan-21

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
Here’s my daughter with her first animal. Sporting the concealment camo for those close shots we had.

05-Jan-21

I hadn’t noticed until this that she seems to not wear camouflage. This was the buck she killed the year before we moved to Alaska her last year in high school.

05-Jan-21
Kind of old school Adams with the plaid.

06-Jan-21
Barring a terrible choice in camo pattern that totally stands out in a given environment they’re all going to be pretty much the same what really matters is the quality of the garment ......... is it quiet does it keep you warm does it keep you dry ...........does it keep you in the field longer

09-Jan-21
Lined dickies plaid still works ,

• Sitka Gear