altitude sick 30-Dec-20
KB 30-Dec-20
Rgiesey 30-Dec-20
BOWUNTR 31-Dec-20
altitude sick 31-Dec-20
Mark Watkins 01-Jan-21
24-Dec-20
Pope and Young Club Announces New World Record Rocky Mountain Goat

On Saturday, December 5th, the Pope and Young Club convened a Special Panel of Judges in Prescott, AZ for a potential P&Y World Record Mountain Goat. Kaleb Baird’s mountain goat scored an amazing 53 4/8” and is now the largest bow-harvested Mountain Goat in North America. This amazing goat was shot in Alaska, on September 11, 2020.

Measurers present at the Special Panel (L to R) were Milo Durfee, Brian Rimsza, Roy E. Grace (Records Chairman), and Marvin Zieser. With a final score of 53 4/8” Baird’s mountain goat was confirmed as the new P&Y World Record. This goat surpasses the previous largest in the records program by 2/8 of an inch, which was taken just 10 short months ago. “Leading up to this hunt I’d known there was the potential for a truly special billy.

I joked with some friends over the summer that the plan was to take a record goat in hopes of enticing a hunting partner”, said Kaleb Baird. However, with a highly unpredictable work schedule and the travel complications 2020 presented I wasn’t able to get any commitments, so I headed up the mountain solo during the second week of September. It just so happened to be the best stretch of weather we had for the entire year in Southeast Alaska. I found this billy on day four and spent the first half of the day ascending to his perch. By the time I got there he’d moved, and I thought I’d lost him for the day. One last pass through his previous hangout and I stumbled right into him and a smaller partner. He stood for a great 31-yard shot but managed to make the edge of the mountain and drop into a nasty avalanche chute for his final dash.

When I finally got to him his right horn was buried in some gravel and I thought it was shattered. Lifting up his head I could see he’d only chipped about an inch and, while not an expert, I could tell his left horn was absolutely world class. I think it’s truly awesome to add this billy to the class of 2019 Ketchikan goats taken by Rosey Roseland and Bryan Moody. I hope all three are on display in Reno to showcase how impressive the goat herd currently is in Southeast Alaska!” “Congratulations to Kaleb Baird on his very special Rocky Mountain Goat, and the Pope and Young Club’s new World Record.

The previous record was declared on February 15th, 2020, less than a year ago. This was also the third Rocky Mountain Goat meeting the criteria to go through a special panel in the last 12 1/2 months.” Eli Randall-Director of Records You can see this incredible animal on display at the Pope and Young’s Biennial Awards Convention and Pope and Young’s 60th Anniversary, in Reno, NV, April 14-17th, 2021. One of the largest displays of North American, bow-harvested, big-game animals (velvet and hard antlered) will be assembled for viewing.

This World Record Mountain Goat has been entered into the 32nd recording period representing entries accepted into the P&Y Records Program from January 1st, 2019, to December 31st, 2020. At the close of every biennial recording period, numerical awards and honorable mentions are awarded to the most outstanding bow-harvested animals in each species category that have been entered during this two-year recording period.

New World Records are verified and proclaimed, and awards are presented to these outstanding animals during the Pope and Young Club's Biennial Convention and Awards Banquet.

24-Dec-20
Any pictures available?

24-Dec-20
A Bowsiter to boot!! Congrats Kaleb!!

24-Dec-20
Heck of a goat! Congratulations Kaleb!

24-Dec-20
Google search, new PY record archery mountain goat. see story and picts

24-Dec-20

BOHNTR's embedded Photo
BOHNTR's embedded Photo

24-Dec-20
What a toad!

25-Dec-20
CONGRATS to Kaleb

25-Dec-20
Hard to grasp the impressive size, need something to compare, like sitting next to one that is minimum P&Y

25-Dec-20
WoW!!

Congrats,

Robb

25-Dec-20
Wow , that’s heavy.

25-Dec-20
Hell of a goat!

25-Dec-20
I’m gonna need those coordinates :^)

25-Dec-20
The Boone and Crockett record is only four inches bigger 57 4/8. so that says even more about this archery kill. Congrats.

25-Dec-20
What’s amazing is 7/8” was chipped off the end one side, otherwise it would have been even bigger!

25-Dec-20
Very cool. Goats are one of my favorite animals. The bases on that toad look like they're almost touching, and he appears to have a lot of growth rings too. Congrats to the hunter!

25-Dec-20

KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
Thanks guys! I’ll do a recap on here at some point. This holiday season has been busy. Excited to get to Reno for everyone to have the chance to see him. Thanks to Ed and Roy for all the help on the scoring, mounting, and transport logistics!

25-Dec-20
Pretty cool to see this on the NY posts app today

25-Dec-20
Congrats!

25-Dec-20
Beautiful Goat!! Congratulations!!!!

25-Dec-20
Great goat....How are you going to have him mounted?

25-Dec-20
Congrats Kaleb! Beautiful...

25-Dec-20
Just a shoulder mount David. An extra 24+ hours on an already gnarly solo pack out and current home size were limiting factors unfortunately. Luckily I can hunt them every year and if I get the itch to upsize him finding a cape should be doable. :)

25-Dec-20
Congrats Kaleb!

25-Dec-20
Kaleb....Maybe I'll make it to Reno to see that monster goat?

25-Dec-20
Outstanding.... Congratulations KB. It's a privilege to do the taxidermy work... hope I don't screw it up!!! Ed F

25-Dec-20
What a great accomplishment!! Congratulations and can’t wait for the recap!

26-Dec-20
Congratulations Kaleb! Well done!

Awesome goat! Amazing how many huge goats are showing up in the records in recent years!

26-Dec-20
Good work man. Excited to see it in Reno!

26-Dec-20
Awesome!! Congrats!

26-Dec-20
I did not even know Mnt goats could get that much mass! Awesome! Congrat's!

26-Dec-20
Wow congrats on a great job beautiful animal Lewis

26-Dec-20
About 10 years ago Bigpizzaman shot what was likely the World Record Mtn Goat (at the time) but it can up a bit short with shrinkage.

In the future if anyone MAY have a Worlds Record animal reach out to Records Committee members on the Bowsite for best procedures. He’s out there.

Congrats KB

26-Dec-20
Wow congrats

27-Dec-20
Grats!

27-Dec-20
Sweet baby Jesus that’s a giant! Congrats!

27-Dec-20
Wow, Congrats!

27-Dec-20
how old is that thing.

27-Dec-20
Congrats on a great animal, KB!

27-Dec-20
Looks to be 8.5 or 9.5 yrs old? Incredible animal!

28-Dec-20
Our big game biologist went with “8” on the harvest report. I had him at 7.5 and another younger bio agreed. Back in the day a billy was taken on the same mountain that scored roughly what this one would have intact. It was 7.5 as well.

30-Dec-20
Woah!! What a brute! Beyond hyped for my AK goat hunt next year.

30-Dec-20

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Kaleb isn’t a one trick pony either :) I just spent a couple days at his home measuring a few of his animals for Pope and Young. We had a great time!

30-Dec-20
Congrats again Kaleb.

30-Dec-20
Thanks again Nick! Long overdue, but glad it made for a good excuse to host you for a couple nights. My brain is still fuzzy, and I did far less math than you. :)

30-Dec-20
Congratulations Kaleb! PnY will be fun. Talk Lucas into coming. Great job!

31-Dec-20
Oh geeze... I bet the nights were long. Good job Nick and congrats Kaleb. Ed F

31-Dec-20
Man any goat would suit me. That’s been one of my dream animals for a very long time. Since I think 1979 I saw one in Washington state, then watching them while climbing in Colorado, and have dreamed of them since. It’s the last on my list that I haven’t even hunted let alone harvested. One of my favorite animals, just because of where they live.

01-Jan-21
Giant congrats KB!!!

New world record animals are great for P&Y and our addictive sport!

Mark

• Sitka Gear