BULELK1 05-Jan-21
BOWNBIRDHNTR 06-Jan-21
Neubauer 06-Jan-21
Moosemania 06-Jan-21
BOWNBIRDHNTR 07-Jan-21
26-Dec-20
Anyone chasing cats yet?

26-Dec-20
If we could just get some lasting snow. Keep getting snow that changes to rain.

26-Dec-20
Will be traveling to catch some cats in a few weeks.

Coyote running been very soild the last two weeks at home, some great chases and kills

26-Dec-20
I wish!

27-Dec-20
My Taxi has two in his shop from this month.

He has his own hounds and takes guys that have a tag.

1 really big Tom the other a decent Tom

Good luck, Robb

27-Dec-20
Have had several buddies get cats recently. Snow conditions are pretty good. Deep enough for good tracking and not so deep to make it too tough to run.

27-Dec-20
Canyons West has been posting lots of big toms taken in the last couple of weeks in NV.

27-Dec-20
Yes they are and I'm waiting patiently for my turn to head to Nevada!

27-Dec-20

whipranger's embedded Photo
whipranger's embedded Photo
The girls and I are headed to Colorado tomorrow. Still working on their first treed lion

27-Dec-20
Good luck Whipranger!

27-Dec-20

wildwilderness's Link
wrong thread :)

28-Dec-20

BOWNBIRDHNTR's embedded Photo
My "lion" target.
BOWNBIRDHNTR's embedded Photo
My "lion" target.
Heading to Arizona two weeks from tomorrow. Been on the bucket list for a long time.

28-Dec-20

BowFly's embedded Photo
BowFly's embedded Photo
Got this one in Idaho early in December. We had no new snow until after we got the cat. The outfitter and guide I went with was able to figure out where this guy probably was based on old tracks we located around a particular drainage. Very exciting fun hunt!

28-Dec-20
Good luck on your hunt, Jeff! That target setup looks pretty familiar!

29-Dec-20
Thanks Troy! Very glad I made this set up. Shooting up at a steep angle is very different, at least for me. Really changed my sight picture and messed with my eyes. Found my left eye taking over dominance making it hard to shoot with both eyes open. When I closed my left eye I was losing 40% of my sight picture. Finally got thing worked out and have a shooting sequence dialed in.

29-Dec-20
Whipranger - how have you been training the hounds without lions in your region? Sorry if this is a basic question, I have not worked with dogs before.

29-Dec-20
When I rigged my target up like Jeff’s, I figured it would really change my sight picture as well, but I never even had to move my pins at all. It was sure awkward shooting straight up, though. The shot on my cat was almost straight up as well, scoot.

29-Dec-20
Alovely we have lots of bobcats that I run and have ran a couple lions in Co. already but it’s tough with young dogs. I got the girls as pups from a Co. oufitter friend. My parents had an outfitting business which I ran for 15 years. And caught 150+ lions with older experienced dogs and used those to help train younger ones but trying to train them alone and only getting back to Co. to lion hunt occasionally has been a very slow teaching process

30-Dec-20
Thanks for sharing your shots Scoot and Troy. I've practiced from many different angles but not the straight up shot. Will do that for sure. As far as my sights go I haven't had to change anything for distance, it's just the picture I see is much different than shooting flat or down.

30-Dec-20

BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
Got outsmarted by a good one yesterday. Ed F

30-Dec-20
BOWNBIRDHNTR, thats the way to practice, trust me!

Have a blast and good luck! Post pics!!!!

30-Dec-20

30-Dec-20

30-Dec-20

30-Dec-20

Hondolane's embedded Photo
Hondolane's embedded Photo

31-Dec-20
Great picture Hondo!

31-Dec-20
I found a decent Tom track yesterday and the girls got to attempt their second lion run. While I ended up pulling them at dark I was more than ecstatic for how well they did working threw several rock bluffs, some partially melted off ridges, and even jumping several deer and not leaving the track. According to the tracking collars they went 17.6 miles and did just over 5200’ of ups and downs. Worst part was we never even were able jump the cat. He apparently got up the night before and took off on a mission.

Even more impressive was my 72 yr old dad did the whole thing including the 5 mile climb back to truck.

31-Dec-20
Your dad is a beast. Bless him.

31-Dec-20
Ole' Gary can still get after em....

31-Dec-20
Hondo - That pic is awesome

02-Jan-21
Plenty of lions around, my dogs have put up several just no clients this winter with Covid. I did find probably the largest track I have ever seen a couple weeks ago. I never put the dogs on him due to time but I still am dreaming of seeing him in a tree.

02-Jan-21
T minus 20 days

02-Jan-21
My boy has a lion in a tree now. Wish I could be down there with him...

He’s a little north of Paul and Gary near BV.

Gary’s a tough one for sure!

Good luck guys!

04-Jan-21

Quick Draw 1's embedded Photo
Quick Draw 1's embedded Photo
Was able to take advantage of the snow last week to take a nice lion in Colorado. It was a great ending to this crazy year. It's been 23 years since my last lion, so the trip through the rocks, deadfalls, and snow was a little tougher on the knees this time. But all worth it. Just moved a little slower than when I was 32. I think my favorite part of the hunt (and the last hunt, too) was laying eyes on the cat for the first time. All the anticipation of trying to get to there, and the climbing, falling, getting back up, all with the dogs getting louder and louder with each step...and then there he is. Just something magical about that instant in time. For you guys who do this on a regular basis, I can totally understand why you're hooked on it.

04-Jan-21
Congrats on your cat, Alan. BTW.....Love your Bowsite handle!

04-Jan-21
That’s a big cat!

Get’em fellas.

05-Jan-21
Good job!

That's a dandy

Congrats,

Robb

06-Jan-21
I hope to be replicating that photo next week Quick Draw. Congrats! We are about the same age, hopefully my body is up to the task as well.

Also, thanks again for the advice Troy and Scoot. Been shooting from many different angles from a ways out to nearly straight up and now confident in my whole shooting process. Hopefully I can remember the process before my quiver is empty!

06-Jan-21

Neubauer's embedded Photo
Neubauer's embedded Photo
Leroy and I got it done in Utah with this mature Tom Saturday. So much fun!

06-Jan-21
Beautiful lions guys! Keep them coming.

07-Jan-21
Looks like a great cat Neubauer. Hope you can post some more pics and the hunt story.

• Sitka Gear