shooter 27-Dec-20
butcherboy 27-Dec-20
Hunting junkie 27-Dec-20
BOHNTR 27-Dec-20
Buglmin 27-Dec-20
Hunting junkie 27-Dec-20
kscowboy 27-Dec-20
27-Dec-20
Hey I’m a youth hunter and drew the January New Mexico unit 2b hunt and was just looking for some for information on the unit and how to hunt it any info is appreciated

27-Dec-20
I drew the late Jan archery hunt, 20 years ago. I hunted the southern part of the unit, it was pretty warm, temps were hitting near 60 every day. My advice would be to cover a lot of ground and glass a lot. If it's anything now like it was back then, you will see some good ones. Good luck.

27-Dec-20
Be prepared for extremely cold weather in the mornings and then gradually warming up during the day. Usually in the mid 40’s to sometimes mid 50’s. I hunted one year and it was -22 and never went above 5 degrees for days. You won’t see much except for does if you drive the roads. Have to get on high points and glass sage flats that are away from the roads or behind the locked gates. It’s a fun hunt but can be bitterly cold.

27-Dec-20
Thanks guys I’ve heard about glassing the sage flats a couple of times but it doesn’t seem like there’d be much cover there is that a problem or is there plenty of cover

27-Dec-20
Plenty of cover

27-Dec-20
The deer head to the sage flats late evening and leave them early morning. Depending on where you're hunting changes the cover and terrain. You plan to intercept the moving deer as they head to bed. Don't try stalking them on the sage flats, they disappear quick and you'll blow term out. I've got two nephews that will be out there for the January archery and they're out there now glassing and watching. I spent some time in another part of the unit trying to find em some good bucks. Depending on where you are will change how you hunt them. A lot of guys will be road hunting on the roads that aren't closed. Getting in behind locked gates in certain areas will improve your luck.

27-Dec-20
Thanks good luck to your nephews!

27-Dec-20
Just got back from 5A. The drought has made things very tough. I did not see a mature buck in 7 days of scouting. If it doesn't work out for you this year, don't be discouraged. Our neighbor outfits and has guys come in and pay the big bucks for his late season December and January hunts. They haven't taken a thing. Strange year, especially when I scouted and hunted the same dates and property last year and it was Disney Land. Good luck and keep us in the loop.

• Sitka Gear