t-roy 17-Mar-21
Paul@thefort 17-Mar-21
BullBuster 17-Mar-21
PSUhoss 17-Mar-21
Rupe 19-Mar-21
t-roy 19-Mar-21
27-Dec-20

TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
The rolling box blind comes in handy for this.
The rolling box blind comes in handy for this.
No complaints here other than the drive.... again.... for the 6th time. Lots to ponder and think about on the way back out to Illinois.

I’ve had a great season with numerous encounters, but not my target bucks (2)

Didn’t think I was going back and I pulled my cell cams...ugh.

Anyway, I’ve received some great advice and I do have food sources so I’m going to give it a helleva try.

Anybody else still out there?

27-Dec-20

Target 1
Target 1

27-Dec-20
Had him pegged...or I thought until the rut kicked in.

He showed back up for 2nd Gun and late muzzleloader with no shot opportunities.

27-Dec-20
One of my target bucks started showing up on trail cam two weeks ago. Set a stand in that area last week. Hunted it for the first time yesterday evening. Buck read the script and passed by at 12 yards. Dead quiet and cold...either the stand squeaked or he heard me draw with three layers of clothes on...regardless, he's still out there and I'm still holding my tag. What a great close range encounter though!

27-Dec-20
I'm still at it. Hunted yesterday afternoon on food being our 1st day of late season. The deer showed up to eat just not any legal bucks.

27-Dec-20
I’m on hunt 92 right now. My only target buck is still alive. I will hunt till he’s dead of time runs out

27-Dec-20
Yep!

27-Dec-20
Grunt n gobble, they still got horns on down there in PA?????

27-Dec-20
Yeah MAPA, they still have them in south central PA. I usually dont start seeing them drop until february

27-Dec-20
Yes here.

27-Dec-20
Good luck that’s a good buck.

27-Dec-20
Bigdog havin a bad day? Come off the anger bridge to friendship shore, fella

27-Dec-20
Here too. Just finished up private land late doe season for firearms. Still got a couple of doe tags for public land and will be out tomorrow with bow in hand. Not many days left.

27-Dec-20
Yep killed my buck nov 2, trying for doe off ground with my recurve

27-Dec-20
3 doe tags to fill by end of January. 2 stands set just right for an attempt at a first recurve deer. Extended firearms (doe) starts Jan.1 and runs through the 24th (archery runs through Jan. 31). If the winds wrong for either stand I’ll be sitting my other stands with a riffle. Need some does thinned out and more venison in the freezer! Come on cold weather and snow!

27-Dec-20

huntinelk's embedded Photo
huntinelk's embedded Photo
Yes, started yesterday, but only doe tags

27-Dec-20
....only at the half way point for me....Sept through April bowhunting whitetails.....

27-Dec-20
Plan to try to get my brother a doe tomorrow evening. Haven't seen much on my last two sets but the wind will be right so I'd really like to give it another shot.

27-Dec-20
Defiitely will get some hunting in but doubt i will deer hunt. The freezer is full and the places i hunt just got pounded by the orange army for over two weeks. The deer are still bedded up at daylight and not moving much until right before dark.

The one place I know i could get on a doe, i dont have a doe tag for. Here in PA u can use ur buck tag on a doe in this late season, but only with a flintlock....

So will probably do some predator hunting and get my 10 year old daughter out to try to shoot a couple rabbits off the beagles.

27-Dec-20
Urban doe hunt until the end of January. Hoping for one more deer for the freezer

27-Dec-20

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Our late season opened back up on Monday and runs through January 10th. I’ve got one buck that I’d still shoot, and had him within 33 yards Monday evening. It was just a little too dark to feel comfortable taking a shot at him. I have a late season either sex muzzleloader tag, that can be used as an archery tag as well. I had him at 20 yards, 2 different times in November as well, but I was out of buck tags by then :-(

27-Dec-20
Yep i can hunt till end of January. I do have to share the woods with the muzzleloader guys. Im ok with that.

27-Dec-20
I’ll be headed to some central IL public with low expectations. But it’s a new property for me so it may turn into more a scouting trip for next year. But it’s an opportunity to get in the woods after losing all the rut to Covid. I got hit hard and could not even hike 100 yards without stopping to catch breath, much less climb a tree. Season ended very early.

27-Dec-20
Just starting to roll in central MS!!

27-Dec-20

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Laying in the backseat now car camping for the next two weeks. My late season buck tag and a pocket full of doe tags. I have some awesome morning property's to hunt and the typical waste grain fields for the afternoons. Bring on the deep snow.

27-Dec-20
PA-MDdeeeslayer....... Yep, bucks still holding antlers but not all of them. I'd say most do until later in January or February. I was at Oglebay in WV tonight to see the Christmas lights and spotted a buck that had dropped already.

28-Dec-20
Please excuse the quality of the pictures but these are from video I recorded then played on my TV to take the picture. On November 15th I took a 30 yard shot at this buck and at 1st I thought I had made a great shot, but he just ran off stood looking and slowly walked away. So I figured that I had missed this buck on November 15th. Never found my arrow. No blood. Just 1 vane laying in the soybean field . Saw him again 6 days later and he was limping . Figured maybe I hit him. Saw him 5 more times, but never had a shot. Once he fed only 60 yards away for over an hour. This buck has been highly visible.

I’m hoping he made it through the shotgun seasons. Going to hunt last 7 days. Calling for snow so hopefully he shows back up.

BTW he busted off his G4 on the right side. That happened after the 15th. Video was taken on November 21st.

28-Dec-20

Rupe's embedded Photo
Rupe's embedded Photo

28-Dec-20

Rupe's embedded Photo
Rupe's embedded Photo

28-Dec-20

Rupe's embedded Photo
Rupe's embedded Photo
Sorry for multiple post.

28-Dec-20

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Luv late season... Have killed a few through the years during January, and this one even in February, Super Bowl Sunday 2018, the last minutes of the last day of a 4-month long season...

28-Dec-20
Good luck to all. My oldest daughter should have her cast off in a couple weeks so we’re gonna hunt hard the last weeks down here. She’s my #1 hunting buddy and it just hasn’t been the same not being able to go with her. Still have a few good bucks around, hopefully we’ll get it done.

28-Dec-20

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
December 20th, MO.

28-Dec-20
I’m out for sure in 5D. Harvested a doe off a bow drive sat. 13 doe came past all single file. Pretty neat.

My tag is still good as is my 1,2,3 buck!! Out now.

Hunting private but a lot of yotes and multi users cat some of the spots.

Good luck be safe!

28-Dec-20
Good stuff guys!

Heading back Saturday, arrive Sunday.

I’m thinking greens and radishes for the warmer temps and standing beans for cold ( Snow would be great)

28-Dec-20
Yep, deer till Jan 1st. Then small game

28-Dec-20
Good stuff guys!

Heading back Saturday, arrive Sunday.

I’m thinking greens and radishes for the warmer temps and standing beans for cold ( Snow would be great)

28-Dec-20

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Now we have a 4-day muzzleloader season the first week of January (used to be mid-January) and our bowseason now ends on Super Bowl Sunday, so I really never considered anything before mid-January late season... Attached buck was arrowed Christmas Day 2018, it's the last deer I've killed...

28-Dec-20
Was out this afternoon....wind chill was at 14 degrees. I was hoping to see something....no joy.

29-Dec-20

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
This morning was not so pleasant, no deer moving either.

29-Dec-20
^...ha...looks cool there too. I'll be on it in a few. The wind is not so bad. Early this morning when I woke up it was a straight 4 degrees. It's a warm 26 right now and little wind. More snow is coming tonight.

29-Dec-20
Yes in Kansas and Oklahoma and both states are kicking my butt

29-Dec-20
Headed out in a few minutes. Snowing pretty good here right now.

29-Dec-20
Good luck T-Roy!

29-Dec-20
Thanks Rich.......No big boys tonight. Saw 6 different bucks and 8-9 does. Best buck was a 130s 8 pointer. I was surprised that I didn’t see more deer with this snowstorm rolling in. I saw 8 bucks and 30+ does in the same plot a few nights earlier.

29-Dec-20
T-roy, what county are you hunting in?

29-Dec-20
MT has almost nothing since our rifle season ends Sunday after Tksgvng. We do have cow elk shoulder seasons, some till the end of January.

I would like a late season but we have 10 weeks, 5 bow, 5 gun/xbow/compound/bow so it's hard to complain and have anyone listen.

30-Dec-20
Passed what was once likely a good Indiana buck last night at 18 yards. Nice long beams, decent brow tines and a 10"+ G2 on the left side....that was it! Every other tine on his head was snapped off near the beams. December 29th and watched him work two scrapes.

30-Dec-20
Great encounter Pav for sure

30-Dec-20

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
2 doe and 2 fawns this morning. Forgot what it was like walking through deep snow. Only fell once going in and once coming out in the cattle ruts.

30-Dec-20
That’s a longgggggggg walk Scrappy.

30-Dec-20
I was thinking the same thing Rube:-)

30-Dec-20
Late season for me starts Jan 4th and ends Jan 31st. Zbone that's quite a Christmas present. Nice.

31-Dec-20

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
A bit chilly this morning
Scrappy's embedded Photo
A bit chilly this morning
3 above and fog sticking to everything. I skipped this mornings hunt and I'm blaming it on the wrong wind direction. :-)

31-Dec-20

31-Dec-20

MQQSE's embedded Photo
My son killed this nice Iowa buck with his muzzy five days ago and then filled his Missouri tag two days later. He loves late season when school is over.
MQQSE's embedded Photo
My son killed this nice Iowa buck with his muzzy five days ago and then filled his Missouri tag two days later. He loves late season when school is over.

31-Dec-20

MQQSE's embedded Photo
Here is his Missouri ice storm buck.
MQQSE's embedded Photo
Here is his Missouri ice storm buck.

31-Dec-20
I plan on hittin' it this afternoon. The wind is low and the temps are upper 20's dropping to teens tonight. It's nice being out in the late season woods and no one else is around. Very peaceful and serene.

31-Dec-20

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Would have been an awesome evening if the weather man would have gotten his act together. Wind went totally wrong after I got stand hung and all set up. Checked weather right before leaving vehicle and was all good. One hour later weather man changes forecast. Still saw lots of deer in the distance and only a doe busted me. Nice sun set though

31-Dec-20

Basil's embedded Photo
Basil's embedded Photo
Just sent off my annual “last sunset” of the season photo. In true 2020 form when I put my phone on my pocket there were 3 big does 15 yards away. They won again. Dang cell phones

31-Dec-20
Scrappy......Would have definitely been picturesque in the stand this morning, for sure! Drove out to western Iowa this morning, on a job, and the hoarfrost on everything was beautiful at sunup.

01-Jan-21
You guys are having way to much fun!!

I've got 1 elk tag left that I can fill until January 31st but I'm not sure if I'm going/need to fill it.

Stay warm out there,

Robb

01-Jan-21
T-roy I didn't know what to call hoarfrost but it was magical looking. Heading to a bedding area this morning.

01-Jan-21

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Good thing cutting down a sapling to clear a shooting lane isn't considered baiting by the DNR.

01-Jan-21
Scrappy,

Good job. I wanted to head out but we are getting ice and snow right now. I stayed in. I must be getting old! GL!

01-Jan-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Another gorgeous evening tonight.

01-Jan-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
This doe stomped at me one too many times, this evening.

01-Jan-21
Good job Troy.... Those “stompers” are the best ones to get out of the way.

01-Jan-21
Congrats on taking that crazy doe out of the gene pool.

02-Jan-21

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Congrats t-roy...

02-Jan-21
Congrats Troy

02-Jan-21
Dang good eats right there

Congrats Mr. t

Robb

02-Jan-21
Congrats T-Roy, single digit temps here this morning. Only buck I saw this morning so far came in off the fields into the timber I was sitting in yesterday morning.

02-Jan-21
Keep at it, scrappy! Only takes one time, and you can’t kill em from the couch!

02-Jan-21
Congrats getting done late season! I pulled my stand yesterday as the season closed. Next up is the squirrels.

02-Jan-21

ahunter76's embedded Photo
ahunter76's embedded Photo
This guy. N.E. Ia 1 hour from where I live. Yesterday Jan 1st. Happy New Year. Muzzyloader

02-Jan-21
Our 4-day muzzleloader season started today...

02-Jan-21

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
That's a good one ahunter76. I was well on my way to having an awesome evening until two coyotes cleared the draw. I bet forty deer run up up the little draw directly away from me. Oh well try again in the morning. Another cool sun set today.

02-Jan-21
Still at it till end of January

03-Jan-21

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Got to love those winter colors.

03-Jan-21

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
I had a blast this morning.

03-Jan-21
Very nice. Congrats, Scrappy!!

03-Jan-21
Your turn now T-Roy

03-Jan-21
Dang guys I'm jealous because you still get to hunt whitetails. Congrats to all that punched there tag!

03-Jan-21
Wow Scrappy, congrats!! You certainly did have fun today.

03-Jan-21
Getting down to the wire!

03-Jan-21

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
All fun and games until time to get him out.

03-Jan-21

sjj's embedded Photo
sjj's embedded Photo
Last day late season doe. NY. Herb Meland Pronghorn LB 56". Snuffer Head

wow Zbone...sweet longbow buck

03-Jan-21

sjj's embedded Photo
sjj's embedded Photo

03-Jan-21
Nice buck Scrappy, CONGRATS!... That buck looks old...

Congrats to all the late seasoners....

03-Jan-21
Good deal guys! Going to head back west on Tuesday, I’m able to “ try” till the 17th.

04-Jan-21
BIG CONGRATS SJJ, going trad is still my ultimate goal. Just have to stop having so much fun with the training wheels:-)

05-Jan-21
Congratulations to both you guys. Very nice.

05-Jan-21
Agreed, trad is a different level. Congrats!

05-Jan-21
Heading out on Thursday. Then Saturday and Sunday if necessary.

06-Jan-21
Our statewide muzzleloader season ended yesterday... Makes for good hunting after those pressured by smokepolers calm down... Although they may be spooky, have always liked it if ya can take the cold when they hit the food sources early the next 4 weeks with days getting longer emerging in fields with a lot off daylight left, even the mature bucks...

07-Jan-21

In the “ Box”

Temps a chilly and deer fed this am pretty late.

No real snow to drive to them to beans but I can always get lucky.

Great bedding only 75 yards away and wind is my favor.

Still after em.

07-Jan-21
Good luck Rich. Should be a great evening to be out.

07-Jan-21

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Not a shooter
Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Not a shooter
I’m out now . Watching this buck at the moment

10-Jan-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Our season closed tonight. The very first deer that showed up in the food plot was the buck I was hoping would make it through the season alive! He fed 15-40 yards in front of me for most of the evening. This is a pic of him tonight. I got a trail cam video of him on December 29th, and he broke off half of his right side in the past couple of weeks.

10-Jan-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
I did whack a humongous doe right before dark, as well. She was on full alert (I think she heard me drawing) and she dropped at the shot, so I hit her in the spine. Made for a short tracking job :-)

10-Jan-21
Congrats T-Roy, that buck will be a stud for sure next year. I always feel cheated when I don't get to go on a blood trail.

10-Jan-21
Congrats Troy! You have it going on at your places!

I hunted for the last time this season, yesterday evening and this morning. Did not see any deer.

11-Jan-21
t-roy - CONGRATS on your doe, but WOW, that's a he!! of a buck... My word, so great to look forward too next season... Bucks like that can make a man obsessive...8^)

11-Jan-21
Enjoyed a peaceful set on the last day. Saw a few does, not the buck I’ve been looking for.

11-Jan-21
Fun reading this thread!

Congrats and thanks for sharing,

Robb

11-Jan-21
Nice job t-roy! Looks like you are already 'fertilizing" for next year's buck season! ;-)

11-Jan-21
Pat, those are some great looking turnips! I bet that the whole down wind area smells like turnips.

11-Jan-21

Lots of deer my last night before heading home. One particular 4:5 yr old ten walked out late and he was really worn down.

When he got out to the other deer, he just looked round, fed a little and then walked off.

Just reminded me of how long the season actually was.

12-Jan-21

Many encounters with this guy, not realizing he may be between 7-8 yes old. The last one was with the muzzleloader and i passed him. Sure would have been a good deer to take. Sigh

12-Jan-21
It’s amazing how much body weight the mature bucks lose by the time we get to late season. Agree with Rich, that they look really worn down.

Keep at it, Rich!

12-Jan-21
T-Roy,

Great buck for next season, hope you find his sheds! The doe looked like she made a circular snow angel after the shot, good stuff:)

12-Jan-21

SB761's embedded Photo
SB761's embedded Photo
Late season's tough here on the East Coast, but did manage to whack a nice doe during our late blackpowder season. Tried breakfast sausage with the trim for the first time and it was fantastic and much easier than I thought it would be. Also, the blood trail from Thor bullets is pretty wild.

16-Jan-21

T Mac's embedded Photo
We had a good evening 3 of us out on 1 property
T Mac's embedded Photo
We had a good evening 3 of us out on 1 property

16-Mar-21

T Mac's embedded Photo
I doubled up Saturday night!
T Mac's embedded Photo
I doubled up Saturday night!

16-Mar-21
Your season is still open in March?

16-Mar-21
Yes, it’s the local town damage permit season. Town properties only and bowhunting only.

16-Mar-21
That is excellent.

Well Done

17-Mar-21

BullBuster's embedded Photo
BullBuster's embedded Photo
Ain’t a deer but they eat the deer. Especially the mature bucks when they go recluse at age 4.

17-Mar-21
Very nice, Keith! Congrats!

Idaho cat?

17-Mar-21
Looks like a LOT of fun guys. Nicely done. Paul

17-Mar-21
We’ve taken 4 on or near my property. And my cameras show 2 more around. It’s a lion farm! Yes Idaho.

17-Mar-21
Hey T Mac - I am curious if field dressing those does led to any interesting finds? Seems like this late in the season that the gestational development would be pretty far along. Please know that I am not throwing stones here at all, just curious. Our season ends in January and I have seen some advanced fawn development.

19-Mar-21
I have shot many late season does when I lived in Maryland. The season lasted until January 31st. Every doe had at least 2 fawn fetuses and a few had 3.

19-Mar-21
It always bothers me a little bit when I’m gutting a doe that I’ve shot during late season, and seeing the fetuses of the developing fawns. They aren’t very big in early January, but you can definitely tell what they are.

• Sitka Gear