huntinelk 01-Jan-21
skinner creek 02-Jan-21
Archer Ontario 03-Jan-21
JL 03-Jan-21
spike buck 03-Jan-21
JL 03-Jan-21
spike buck 03-Jan-21
28-Dec-20
As 2020 grinds to the end and deer seasons are winding down one's thoughts, or at least mine, turn thoughts of spring black bear hunts in Canada. My Manitoba hunt from last spring (Would have made five years in a row) was moved to 2021 as were many others. Does anyone have any information as to the probability of the 2021 spring season in Canada happening as planned? I suspect a second year of no spring bear would cause major damage to many outfitters as well as disappointing many hunters. Any information from outfitters would be of interest as well as any thoughts from potential hunters.

28-Dec-20
I think spring is very iffy at this time depends on how many people r vaccinated by then, There saying only 3 million Canadians will be vaccinated by end of March with 34000,000 people in Canada that’s a drop in the bucket. US citizens will be vaccinated before us in total maybe they will open the border to the ones that r vaccinated who knows I don’t think anybody does right now. I think fall will be a better bet for open borders just my thoughts.

28-Dec-20
Ya I’m thinking fall may be a better bet unfortunately.

28-Dec-20
Looking at the bright side....I'm guessing the bear numbers will be up??

28-Dec-20
Bear numbers in Manitoba are always high. We can’t get rid of em.

Ya problem with the vaccine is it also does nothing to curb carrying the virus so just because you’re vaccinated doesn’t mean you can’t carry it around. So not sure how that will effect things yet

28-Dec-20
First off the border was never closed!!!But all visitors were mandatory quarantine. Non essential travel was a decision left to border patrol officers. It’s most likely given Canada is as we all know a huge Country with varried degrees of covid presence.The west and central areas seem to be were covid was able to get into the community yet in the East covid never really got a foothold and is to this day non existent in the community! What will likely be happening is a regional approach and risk mitigation ability case by case. The Provinces in best position to open in the Spring are New Brunswick and Newfoundland simply because there’s virtually no covid in the community and they are sparely populated Provinces. Provinces like Quebec,Ontario,Alberta and B.C. currently are experiencing stricter regulations and increasing covid cases with community spread. There will be procedures and some mitigation rules regardless of who opens first but clearly East of Quebec is in the best position to open having never seen any widespread covid since the pandemic started. There is work being done to get clients into camp for 2021.

28-Dec-20
I have a bear hunt that is paid for in Alberta.We pushed it back to 2021,June.I would love to get to go,but I will just keep my fingers crossed.

28-Dec-20
The Maritime Provinces, including New Brunswick which has on Dec 28th (33 active cases) sq mile area NB 72,910, were the first to create a "bubble" in response to the pandemic. Because of the "bubble", I doubt they will be the first to open up. It will be a country wide decision not a provincial decision. NW Ontario has on Dec 28, 85 active cases. That's Thunder Bay to Manitoba border, 526,400 square miles.

28-Dec-20
I have a feeling that my deposit to Lone Wolf will be going to my transporter in Alaska. I hate to cancel but I’m booked solid for several years out.

28-Dec-20
I'm taking the optimistic approach for a June 2021 hunt. We'll take the vaccine as soon as it's available and have advised my hunting companions to do the same. I'll have a copy of my immunology records with my passport and just wait for both countries to make their decision on non-essential travel.

28-Dec-20
I’m guessing it’s 50/50 at this point for spring bear in Canada.

I am more optimistic for August sheep season though.

28-Dec-20
I’m holding off on the vaccine. I hadn’t had the flu for a decade when I decided to get the free vaccine at work 2 years ago. I ended up with the worst case of the flu I ever had. I certainly wouldn’t get a shot just to be able to go hunting. If they require a vaccine I’m out for 2021.

28-Dec-20
Have not heard anything about having to have a vaccine to cross border. Did hear today that USA should be at herd immunity by end of Summer. I think you reach Herd Immunity when about 65% are vaccinated, rest have had covid.

28-Dec-20
My vax is done, one less thing to worry about. Now i need to get in shape for my mountain goat hunt..... bring on the border crossing

28-Dec-20
The new variant is believed to spread more easily and faster than the original version of the virus.

Few new cases every day I don’t think spring hunt is going to happen

29-Dec-20
Every province has final say on its rules pertaining to travellers coming in. The Federal government will grant Provinces exeptions to Federal quarantine requirements on a regional level based on covid levels in the region and the final say will fall to the Province. Borders are not closed!!But each province has its own rules and laws regarding travel! It will be a staggered opening as some Provinces are at varying stages in the covid infections. They will not be painting all areas with the same brush!Not legal nor justified. It will be dependent on the Province as to who is open in the Spring.

29-Dec-20

Rob Nye's embedded Photo
Sure hope the stands aren’t empty in 2021...
Rob Nye's embedded Photo
Sure hope the stands aren’t empty in 2021...
I am not optimistic but of course hopeful for Spring it may depend on how many more vaccines are approved and how fast they can be distributed. With only 2 approved so far it will take until September for all Canadians to get vaccinated and I doubt PM Trudumb will allow non-essential travel without quarantine until everone gets it.

29-Dec-20
Provinces may be able to control who enters their province inside Canada but the feds control who comes in across the international land border crossings and they are not about to open the land border in one region and not the rest of the country or vise versa . If they decide to open the international land border crossings it will be country wide or not at all.

29-Dec-20
Exactly what I thought Timbrhuntr. Ontario took 2 days off of administering the vaccine over Christmas. Even though they had the vaccine to give. Doctors across Ontario are not happy with the Ford decision. 2800 new cases today in the populated parts of Ontario.

At the rate the Ontario and Trudeau government is going, vaccinations will take forever to dole out.

I am with Rob Nye, I am hopefull Bear bait sites will be manned this Spring... but very iffy at this point.

29-Dec-20
I’ll side on optimism only because of the work underway and the border issue being addressed on a risk and mitigation basis.I do agree west of The eastern bubble it’s not looking good in those regions but that can change dramatically.New Brunswick reported 2 travel related cases today.

29-Dec-20
Just a side note.... Can you imagine the size of some of the bears the next couple of seasons if there are any?

29-Dec-20
What effect, primarily financial I suppose, would the lack of a spring bear season have on outfitters and does that play at all into the risk / benefit calculations of the various segments of Canadian Federal and Provincial governments?

29-Dec-20
Amused

Please explain what you said "Borders are not closed!!But each province has its own rules and laws regarding travel! It will be a staggered opening " so your saying they are not closed then staggered opening ect. I don't understand. I can drive to the border and cross into Canada??? If I can't I would say yes they ARE closed

29-Dec-20
And you say "borders are not closed!!" But my ice fishing trip for early January is canceled as the outfitter said the border is closed and no traffic is coming though. So please tell me your source on they are not closed.

29-Dec-20
They are closed to average Joe's like us. There are a few exceptions that can cross like essential workers, trucking trade. So not 100% closed but no you and I can not cross. Hopefully next summer things get back to normal but with Trudeau in charge who knows.

29-Dec-20
Amused (Dave) is being optimistic. Much better than thinking negative.... every Camp owner or Outfitter in Canada right now is taking any little bit of info and trying to get positive vibes out of it. Keeps us going!!

At this time borders are closed, right across Canada except for essential workers and those who choose to fly into Canada. Anyone who does get into Canada must self isolate for a period of time, except truckers. But, lets hope for a miracle before Spring!

30-Dec-20
Canadian border was never closed!!1800 exeptions already have been granted on case by case basis for non essential travel. The border never closed Thats a whole different set of circumstances but it is being restricted!Big difference,one requires law changes one requires amendments. I would suggest every outfitter prepare a covid mitigation plan and have it submitted to your local officials,all businesses are required to have an approved plan in place and now is the time to get them in!

30-Dec-20
Spin it however you want but the border was closed to average folks. The vast majority of folks like me who crossed into Ontario freely are no longer able to do so. I am however still allowed to send Ontario my property taxes. I just can't set foot on said property. USA/Canadian border is closed and has been for close to a year. They ain't making an exception for average guy's like me. Hopefully vaccines can get it open by next summer.

30-Dec-20
I work in the auto industry in Detroit. My guys and I have been going over to Windsor and Toronto without issue for work until a couple weeks ago. At that point we were turned back and told if we wanted to go across we would have to stay two weeks to quarantine. Seems like it will get worse before it gets better.

30-Dec-20
Our camp along with many others have laid out plans for a reopening. Also have a committee working on a plan. Our Area has few cases considering the sq miles. I hope Dave is right that they will look at each crossing in their decisions. Trudeau looks at what's happening South of the border when he makes his decision. I did hear a while back that they were picking certain crossing and trying a few things out, but haven't heard anything since. Non essential crossing have been for compassionate reasons ie: family. They all still have to self quarantine for 14 days.

01-Jan-21
Exemptions will be for specific reasons at minimal risk to the public. Outfitters need to keep pressure on their jurisdictions and also insist that operators and staff be considered for priority vaccination as these industries have been closed and impacted far more than any other. If we don’t keep the on them you get lost in the crowd! Things are changing fast now especially with the studies out showing Asymptomatic people do not spread covid!As previously speculated.10 million people were studied and showed virtually no transmission from persons without symptoms

01-Jan-21
Is there anything US hunters scheduled for Canadian spring bear hunts can do, write letters etc. , that might help the outfitters cause? One thought that crosses my mind is that at the bear camp I go to I only contact two or maybe three Canadian citizens during the entire week I am there. I also make one gas stop in Canada on the way driving in and one on the way out . I realize that this level of contact with Canadian citizens may vary from location to location but I suspect on average US hunters do not contact more than a small number of Canadian citizens while bear hunting and most, if not all, of those contacts are both voluntary and profitable for the Canadian citizens involved.

01-Jan-21
Now Fauci just said it will be the fall of 2021 before things get back to normal for the US. I'm sure that statement doesn't help with getting the border opened for spring hunts.

02-Jan-21
I have my doubts there will be a spring bear season. The guide outfitters association is pushing hard to have a "safe traveller" card approved to cross into Canada. Much like the yellow fever card you need to get into many countries it will be proof you have had the vaccination . We are getting pushback from government on this but as more tourism associations join the fight we may make headway. I am not holding my breath.

03-Jan-21
From what I’m hearing they not going to allow travel across border anytime soon to Canada especially for a bear hunt , praying everything gets back to normal by fall

03-Jan-21
Anyone have any idea how many outfitters had to go out of business so far in Canada?

03-Jan-21
I don't know of any planning on going out of business. Doubt you'll see any for that matter.

03-Jan-21
That's a great thing with the deck of uncertainty stacked against them. I suppose a fair question would be how long can most of them last with a closed border?

03-Jan-21
There are jobs that Outfitters can go to to hold them over till border opens.

• Sitka Gear