Cheesehead Mike 01-Jan-21
stick slinger 01-Jan-21
Inshart 02-Jan-21
Trial153 02-Jan-21
wyobullshooter 02-Jan-21
Cheesehead Mike 02-Jan-21
Scooby-doo 03-Jan-21
28-Dec-20
Just wondering if there are any thoughts, reviews, suggestions on quality archery targets (compound bow with 500gr. arrows).

I'm looking at the following: MATRIX TARGET SYSTEM (M1) $359 -Pro = I hear it lasts a long time and is a nice big/solid target that can take a lot of shots. Works well with broad heads too. -Con = I hear it's a bear when you try to move the hexagons around after shooting one out. Heavy target.

Rinehart Rhino Block - $220 - Pro = I've had one in the past and is a good target for field points. -Con = Doesn't hold up as well to broad heads.

Morrell Double Duty (Bone Collector) - don't really know much about these but saw some positive reviews online.

28-Dec-20
I can only speak of the the Matrix. Hands down best target I have ever owned. Had it for over two year. I shot broadheads into the center for two years and finally had one poke through the back side. Still stopping arrows though. Worse part about it is lugging it around. Changing the modules around is rather straight forward. I will say in the two years I've had this I would have gone through at least two other broadhead targets. The last broadhead target I had was the Reinhart with the replacable center. I would chew threw one of those a year. Hope this helps.

29-Dec-20
May want to consider building your own? Much more economical...

Lots of ideas out there

Good luck

29-Dec-20
I attempted to build my own once using a couple layers of 2” rigid insulation. Huge mistake! I don’t know if it’s because my D350 is so lightning fast? Or if it’s the same for all bows but the friction and heat from the arrows was hot enough to bond the insulation to my 3 arrows and I had to cut the arrows out. After the initial shots before retrieving them I was like, “alright! I’m on to something” lol

29-Dec-20
I made my own out of old carpet. I’ve been shooting this one for 3 yrs and it sets outside. It cost me less than $200 to make. You can’t shoot broadheads though.

29-Dec-20

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
It’s 48x16 and 46 inches high. Got tired of having to buy a new outside target every season.

29-Dec-20
I haven't found one that lasts over 1.5 years yet.

31-Dec-20
Craig,

I bet those cinder blocks do a good job of stopping arrows. :)

31-Dec-20
I've been making my own for a few years now. Old clothes and towels that are stuffed into empty feed sacks, then print a paper target tape it on and duct tape the end of the bag. Make sure to cut out any metal zippers or buttons. Not good for broadheads though.

Cost is close to nothing and it repurposes the used clothing and feed sacks. It also last for thousands of shots. If you need to slip on a new bag no added cost.

31-Dec-20

GF's embedded Photo
GF's embedded Photo
At our Club, we bought Blob targets for the BH area....

And then one or more assholes decided to shoot out a few brand new 3Ds entirety and shot up the whole 50-some target course with broadheads and now the rule is that if you are found on the course with BH in your possession..... you’re toast.

So I would recommend the blobs; they held up as well as anything, and WAAAY better than the ethafoam that we use for the NFAA target backstops.... which the jackasses ALSO shot up.

31-Dec-20
I've been using the same 18-1 target for 15 years now. Honestly, I can't imagine a compound bow user needing more than a couple dozen shots per year with BH's.

Once you've set up your bow, paper tuned it, walkback tuned it, bare shaft tuned it, you should only need a few BH shots to confirm same POI. Then practice with your FP's until hunting season, put a few more BH shots under your belt just to confirm, and go hunt. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

31-Dec-20
Get a Matrix. Last a long time. Changing modules is easy. Economical over the life of the target. Can also buy individual modules if needed to replace.

31-Dec-20
I haven't found a target yet that works with target heads on my Ravin crossbow. It works okay with expandable head with the blades tied shut but target points allow the bolt to go all the way in the the fletching. You have to pull the bolt out the back. The target said it would hold an arrow up to 500 FPS but it doesn't. Jak Hammers and others come with a practice head that doesn't open and the target works well with them.

31-Dec-20
Mark,

I haven't hit the blocks yet but a young buddy has with his recurve.:)

31-Dec-20
A FWIW helpful hint regarding other uses for old bag targets. I have one that is about 25" x 25" x 16"+ and shot up pretty good. I had to change out the fan belt on my F150 this morning and didn't have a anything to safe to step up on to in order to make it easier to lean over into the engine compartment to change the belt. I seen that target in the garage and thought that might work. Sure enough....it made a great step-up and didn't rock at all. It was pretty stable. I might keep that old target to use it again to work on the truck. Take it for what its worth......

31-Dec-20
Excelsior bales and horse stall mats. Life is measured in decades and not just one at that when cared for and covered.

31-Dec-20
Our club burned our excelsior bales years ago. Guys were blowing right thru them or destroying them getting the arrows out.

31-Dec-20
Block

31-Dec-20
I am a big 18:1 fan.

01-Jan-21
BullDog targets are the best I’ve found. They have some weight to them, but will out last any other I’ve had.

01-Jan-21
Rinehart 18-1 for closer work, and especially from elevated positions. If you're a member of a club that is ordering new targets or replacement cores from Rinehart, ask if you can get in on shipping (and club prices!) Also, look at the Rinehart 'Woodland boar' which is a great target at a good price.

01-Jan-21

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Laying on it's side while I'm replacing the shot out carpet, which I do once every 3-4 years.
Laying on it's side while I'm replacing the shot out carpet, which I do once every 3-4 years.
Cover (piece of steel siding) removed to show board wedged in to help hold the poly down.
Cover (piece of steel siding) removed to show board wedged in to help hold the poly down.
Field point target and broadhead target
Field point target and broadhead target
If you're looking for a target for field points this one works really well and is cheap and easy to build.

It's basically a box built out of 2x4's covered with carpeting (with the backing out) and stuffed with plastic bags and poly sheeting, etc.

It lasts forever and arrows pull out very easily. You can shoot at either side or even the ends.

01-Jan-21
I got a morell target this year. Really happy with it. Easy to pull the arrows. Broadheads chew it up pretty past though

02-Jan-21
X-Man x2; Been doing that for years - tune broadheads then only shoot field points - couple times throughout the summer shoot a couple broadheads - and again just prior to hunting season.

Talk to your local grocery store manager - ask to get all the shrink wrap and a couple big boxes (in a matter of a few days you'll have more shrink wrap than you can use). Fill the boxes (gunny-sacks work even better) with shrink wrap - keep it off the ground, cover with plastic and it's the best target ever for field points.

02-Jan-21
I use hanging nags for field points. For broad heads I have have had several. The three below I still have. I listed the ones that think are worth buying, others I have had but I wouldn't recommend them. I will picking up a sevR next time it's on sale as well, see how that does.

Rhineharts 18/1 and Rhino block, good to very good durability, easy to pull arrows, inexpensive. Portable.

Matrix, fair durability, if you couldn't switch the modules I would say poor durability. Arrows pull okay, the target is Heavy, and expensive. Worst value of the three

Blob, was give to me by Elkguide several years ago and it has lots of life left in it. It super heavy, portable at all. Arrows are very hard to pull. Very cheap considering how long you will have it. Very very durable.

02-Jan-21
I really like my Matrix, but due to it’s size and weight my Rhinehart RhinoBlock gets the bulk of use.

02-Jan-21
I prefer to practice a lot with my broadheads out to 100 yards. I think shooting fixed blade broadheads a lot out to 100 yards or more really helps find any flaws in your form. Not sure if I would feel as confident or feel as fine tuned if I only shot broadheads a few times.

03-Jan-21
I shoot pretty much nroadheads all the time. As far as a target lasting a long time the Blob is hard to beat but heavy. I have a Rhinehardt 18-1 that is 4 years old and it has been shot at least 500 plus times with broadheads, its pretty much done, but has been a great target for 100 bucks. Shawn

• Sitka Gear