Medicinemann 30-Dec-20
sureshot 30-Dec-20
Junior 30-Dec-20
Mad Trapper 30-Dec-20
wkochevar 30-Dec-20
Shuteye 30-Dec-20
Medicinemann 30-Dec-20
29-Dec-20
Thinking about picking up a three point auger for several foodplot related projects. Several of them look pretty flimsy. Finally found one that has a heavier duty gearbox. It weighs 210 pounds. When not in use, you can buy a stand for storage. Instead of buying the stand, I am wondering if I couldn't just drill it into the ground about 12"-18" and put a canvas or tarp over it. Any suggestions welcome.

29-Dec-20
We stored ours in a shed with the auger laid out on the ground. No stand.

29-Dec-20
You could just set a fence post in the ground and chain it to that, and then tarp it over that, Jake.

29-Dec-20
Be careful with those 3pt augers. When your in heavy clay and the its plenty wet, having more tractor than auger can be a BAD thing. I have seen it before where the auger doesn't "auger" but rather "screws" into the ground. And if that happens when you have too much tractor. When its "screwing" itself in the ground and the 3pt bottoms out. Something has to give. As far as storing it drilled into the ground. Wouldn't hurt anything but will probably rust the heck out of the bit that's in the dirt.

29-Dec-20
Agree with rancher, the bit will rust and not auger as well. Jake, they have a sheer pin so if your tractor has more power than the gear box is rated for you will not hurt it. Purchased mine at TSC more than 10 years ago and it has been used heavily. I have three auger diameters and use it with both my 45 and 75 horsepower tractors and have had zero issues. I keep mine stored in our barn lying down. GL and have fun!

29-Dec-20
I lay mine on a pallet on the ground. It's a heavy piece for 1 guy to move around though. It's a Land Pride, helped me plant over 1400 trees.

29-Dec-20
I think I’d rather store it upright than have to wrestle it up off the ground each time I wanted to use it. Pretty much ready to hook up each time, if stored upright.

30-Dec-20
Chained to a barn rafter works well. Also you can chain to a post. Depending on the size you might not be able to hook it up by yourself if it was laying down. I would not recommend leaving the auger in the ground.

30-Dec-20
Thanks guys......keeping vertical makes sense to me, because it is heavy and would be difficult to hook up alone. I'll just set the tip of the bit on something, so it can't rust. I wasn't too concerned about too much tractor because this unit uses grade 2 shear pins.....as long as I don't forget and use grade 5 or higher, I'll be fine....lol

30-Dec-20
FYI, I take the auger off each time, then just lower the unit to the ground and detach. I try to always lift with the hydraulics.

30-Dec-20
I store mine strapped to a fence post. Back up to the post and let the tip of auger down onto the ground then use a ratchet strap or light chain to hold the gear box against the post before disconnecting from tractor. Tree roots can be a pain sometimes if the auger screws past them and you can't lift the auger back out of the hole... make sure you have a pipe wrench and a cheater pipe to manually unscrew the auger out of the ground if you are working around tree roots.

30-Dec-20
We power wash ours off, coat the auger with burnt oil, then back up to the inside barn wall and ratchet strap it to the wall. We have a old square of rubber we put the point on.

30-Dec-20
How many posts are you going to put in? Just get yourself a post hole digger, a shovel and a spud bar. You could use the exercise!

30-Dec-20
I do just that, drill about an 18' hole and disconnect. Back right up to it and reconnect when necesary....so much easier when you're by yourself. Auger gets some surface rust but I'm in pretty arrid high country good luck!

30-Dec-20
A friend of mine, years ago was drilling post holes with an auger. It somehow got into his big overalls. Fortunately he was a very strong husky guy and his bibs were very old. He jumped back and was standing there in his underwear. He told me he is glad he didn't have new bibs on.

30-Dec-20
Rick (Bigdog21), The first photo really helped. In the second photo, I've got to ask....how in blazes did you get the auger bit AND the PTO shaft over the horizontal brace....was a second person there on a ladder....or is there that much lateral play in the sway bars?

• Sitka Gear