Zim 02-Jan-21
Drnaln 02-Jan-21
Firsty 03-Jan-21
Zim 04-Jan-21
Zim 04-Jan-21
Trial153 04-Jan-21
Elk Assasin 06-Jan-21
30-Dec-20
I have tried to draw New Mexico thru an outfitter for the past 5 years with no luck. I am going to buy a private land tag this year so I can go hunting. I have no idea of who is a reputable outfitter and would like help from someone that has had experience with buying a tag. Could someone send me a direction to look? Thanks

30-Dec-20
there is a landowner list available from the game adn fish. it shows details of how many tags each recipient gets his acreage and type of tag unit wide or ranch only. unit wide tags are much more desirable. there are some brokers who buy from land owners and sell to hunters. these tags are not confirmed till summer well after the draw.

30-Dec-20
Ok Thanks I will get the list. How can you find out about the quality of the hunt? I guess you are able to call the landowner and find the cost and ask questions about the success rate? I hate to buy a tag and the ranch have no elk. Sorry to be so dumb but have never hunted in New Mexico before and dont know the system.

30-Dec-20
Look at unit wide landowner tags - will be pricier but you are not limited to the specific ranch/property that is owned by the landowner.

30-Dec-20
Look at unit wide landowner tags - will be pricier but you are not limited to the specific ranch/property that is owned by the landowner.

31-Dec-20
If you're just looking for a tag, not an outfitter, Mark Chavez at the Archery Shoppe in Albuquerque would be a good place to start. He is a broker for landowner tags, and has a lot of connections. He should be able to point you in the right direction.

31-Dec-20
The tags can be either ranch only or unit wide so this makes alot of difference as like you said there are ranches with no or very few elk that still get tags to sell

31-Dec-20
Gila & Apache outfitters are the best in the Gila that I know of. Success rate is phenomenal. They are very expensive tho. Plus he usually has LO tag connections. Reserve, NM. Michael Delao

31-Dec-20
+3 on unit wide landowner tag

01-Jan-21
I’ve not drawn since 2011, and I apply for all low tier units. Used to be a great go to state for DIY NR’s back in the 90’s until the outfitter welfare came along to join the LO scheme. I keep it in my application schedule only because I know one region better than the locals. So if I get lucky there’s no need to scout.

01-Jan-21
If you haven’t drawn since 2011 you can blame Instagram, Huntin Fool, Facebook, Go Hunt, Internet forums, and the internet in general. How do outfitters play a role in the “LO scheme”?

01-Jan-21
The changes to New Mexico resident big game quotas (84%+) combined with the 10% outfitter rule left the DIY nonresident with "up to 6%" of the tags. Like most of us, THAT is why he hasn't drawn a tag since 2011.

01-Jan-21
Dogman, I did not say outfitter welfare played a role in the LO scheme. They are two separate issues, and more like a one-two punch to the DIYers.

01-Jan-21
Marc or Gina at the archery shoppe in albq, you're probably too late though.

01-Jan-21
Agreed, I drew three years in a row, 2008-2010 unguided and haven't drawn unguided since.

01-Jan-21
Not sure how the LO tag program is any part of a 1-2 punch to the DIY hunter. If anything it helps. You circumvent random luck and buy a UW tag and hunt.

01-Jan-21
DM - Extremely simple. Those UW LO tags would otherwise be in the regular public draw. Instead they are LO welfare.

01-Jan-21
DIY NR's can hunt on LO tags. And they don't even have to draw.

01-Jan-21
DIY NR's can hunt on LO tags. And they don't even have to draw.

01-Jan-21
We all know that. But it doesn’t change the facts I stated. They obviously sell for a steep premium I sure won’t pay.

01-Jan-21
Without the landowner tags there would be thousands and thousands of great elk hunting land off limits or pay a big trespass fee. There’s nothing better than hunting big bulls every year......it’s only money....get up every day to make more then you die.

02-Jan-21
Zim, it is give and take. The program opens up almost 600k acres of private land to anyone with an elk tag. You don’t even have to ask. Who even knows how many acres of landlocked public it opens up. Hate it all you want, the rest of us will work an extra 3 days a month and pay for a tag if we don’t draw. If those tags went to the draw you would be in the running for 6% of them and get locked out of a pile of ground. Then get to deal with more hunters in less huntable ground. The program isn’t broken.

As for the OP’s question. Better start working over last years list now and set yourself apart from the other 30 people that call and offer to buy a tag. Maybe offer a deposit or be willing to pay their asking price. Good luck.

02-Jan-21
PM sent

02-Jan-21
DM - Don’t need to. Got 20+ points in 8 states draw something somewhere every year anyway. Just hope to draw my unit again some day. I drew NR tags five straight years before the outfitter welfare overhaul. I just figure it in my long term plan. No need to stretch. I’ll draw eventually.

02-Jan-21
Zim ...Which states for 20+ elk points?

03-Jan-21
20+ points then he will go hunt and come back here and complain how bad the hunt was wah, wah,wah same story every year right?

04-Jan-21
Frosty, Why are there so many internet dolts out there that simply choose to ignore my raving reviews of my recent hunts in Arizona, Wyoming, Iowa & others but turn all their attention to my crappy reviews such as Oregon? Why? Can you explain rather than run away like a little girl? Don’t run away. Let’s talk AZ, WY & IA here, now. What’s the point of reviews of places like Oregon if a guy’s just gonna wear rose colored glasses? You think the other invested NR’s out there want hunters with rose colored glasses giving them advice? Grow up and put your big boy pants on, son.

Do you post anything online other than personal attacks? Because most Bowsiters are sick of people like you. What’s so hard about following the forum guidelines? Let me help you out. Go to your My Bowsite link and scroll down to Code of Conduct. No need to thank me. Have a wonderful day.

04-Jan-21
Drnaln, Recently finished burning all my elk specific points except for 25 in CO. Got incredible elk hunts for those in Nevada, Arizona & Wyoming. Balance of 20+ points are for other species in Utah, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado & Maine.

04-Jan-21
GT Nunn in New Mexico is straight shooter

06-Jan-21
sent you a pm

• Sitka Gear