JL 02-Jan-21
Shug 03-Jan-21
Teeton 04-Jan-21
Shug 05-Jan-21
spike78 05-Jan-21
steve 06-Jan-21
BUCKeye 06-Jan-21
31-Dec-20
Like all things that come in pairs eventually one gets lost so now this is what my life has been reduced to..asking complete strangers their opinions on the best hiking / hunting sock. In recent years I’ve had two different sock types that I loved but can not find anywhere now. The first was a spandex fleece type that was amazingly warm and completely comfortable. I have no recollection of the manufacturer or even where I bought them. The second pair is merino wool type that just recently tore and again where I got them from escapes me.

So now I’m in the market for new socks. Is there any type that any of you guys find great for multi environment hunting situations?

Have a wonderful new year!

31-Dec-20
Darn tough hiker, full cushion. Ed F

31-Dec-20
Alpaca with a silk liner.

TMBB

31-Dec-20
I just buy the Costco brand wool socks. There priced right and keep my feet dry and warm.

31-Dec-20
All kuiu all the time

31-Dec-20
I've been using Smartwool hikers (both light and medium) for many years and have been so happy with them, I can't bring myself to try a different brand.

31-Dec-20
Feet won’t be slipping around in the right boots!

31-Dec-20
I prefer Darn Tough for everyday wear and Smartwool full cushion mountaineering for hunting/hiking.

31-Dec-20
Feet won’t be slipping around in the right boots!

31-Dec-20
Darn Tough socks - merino wool, made in US and lifetime guarantee. You can order off their website or Scheels carries them. They have many styles to choose from.

31-Dec-20
If Kuiu makes socks make sure you get those if you go in grizzly country.

31-Dec-20
"If Kuiu makes socks make sure you get those if you go in grizzly country."

Hahahahahaha!!!

31-Dec-20
Darn Tough. Hikers are great all around sock. I prefer semi cushion in warmer conditions and full cushion when colder.

31-Dec-20
Can’t beat Darn Tough

31-Dec-20
Cabelas liner sock with Woolrich over the calf socks for me.

31-Dec-20
I like Darn Tough merino and Smartwool merino. I've bought them at Cabelas, REI, and some specialty runner stores will have some from time to time.

All merino, all the time :) Unless I have to wear dress socks with a suit, I am always in a merino sock made by one of the two companies above. And I wear an Icebreaker Merino T as my undershirt every single day.

31-Dec-20
Gore socks are awesome but not made anymore. Darn tough for everyday life as they are but once and have forever. Lifetime warranty

31-Dec-20
Darn Tough and I have one pair of Alpaca that I am trying, but have not worn enough to review yet. Darn Tough also honors their warranty with no questions asked

31-Dec-20
Sock liners, darn tough and first lite. Have served me well.

31-Dec-20
Another vote for Costco Omniwool. "Smartwool" at half the price.

Now lets talk about underwear. New wife got me two pairs of Tommy John for Christmas. I always thought underwear was underwear. Nope. These are truly life-changing. Putting them on brings an instant smile and a self-satisfied sigh, like that first 100 yards on an ebike!

31-Dec-20
Smartwhool. Love those things!

31-Dec-20
I've had good experience with Wigwam Merino Hiker and Smartwool. Haven't tried Darn Tough yet.

31-Dec-20
Thanks guys....

31-Dec-20
I just got a couple of pairs of smart wool hunting socks with my Xmas money and have absolutely been blown away by there warmth so far. Used them this week down to about 5 above so far.. Been using some thick darn tough hiking socks that are not warm at all.

31-Dec-20
Darn Tough all day every day now.

31-Dec-20
Darn toughs for me. They fit well and continue to fit well and do t seem to wear out.

31-Dec-20
Jaquomo

You are right about the underware. Tommy John and Mack Weldon. Hard to believe what they are like

Merino wool and cashmere for socks

31-Dec-20
I wear Darn Tough every day from their thin dress socks at work to the heavy weight cushion over the calf socks for winter treestand hunting. They have a sock that will fit your need.

31-Dec-20
Alpaca from now on baby. Been wearing them for years and the great part about them besides being warm is you can literally wear them 3 days in a row and no stink!

31-Dec-20
I got some Zealwool socks off amazon for a gift. Absolute warmest socks Ive ever owned. I now have 12 pair of them. They are merino wool and spandex mix. Had some going on 3rd year now and they wear like iron. Highly recommend them! Wear them hiking and hunting and to work try them youll love them.

01-Jan-21
Kennetrek alaskans are my favorite hunting socks. Great cushioning and warm

01-Jan-21
Post a picture of the sock you do have. Maybe some one will recognize the brand.

Also i wear different socks for different types of hunting and even different types of boots. I probably have 30 or 40 pairs.

What you plan on wearing them for? Ed

02-Jan-21
I have a guide buddy that used to get lots of free stuff from Jason that he would send me some of his items as I’m a size XL guy and he’s medium. That got me using and buying a lot of things I probably would never have tried..

I have to say the new black merino wool Kuiu socks are my favorites now but at $30 a pair not for everyone.

I spent 12 days in November hunting Kodiak and the socks, merino wool zip-off bottoms and their other pro stuff I wore was warm and comfortable and dried inside my down bag. But before living and hunting up here in Alaska, most hunting conditions and places I’ve hunted don’t really warrant the wool and weatherized stuff. I’d guided a lot of late season Colorado deer and elk, and hunted tons of things but had really not really needed the type of gear and clothes that I consider essential up here.

02-Jan-21
Costco smartwool. LL Bean has some great wool socks as well

02-Jan-21
Omniwool are okay, but no better value than Smartwool or Darn Tough based on performance and guarantee imo. At 1st I was not sold on Darn Tough fit/comfort, but I've had multiple pairs since and have been more pleased than the initial experience. I still think Smartwool are slightly more comfortable. The problem I see is that the popularity of Darn Tough has risen, and when we all go to use that guarantee, I suspect there will be some policy changes or some sort of company selloff. That seems to be par for the course.

02-Jan-21
Darn Tough

02-Jan-21
Like said above, Smartwool. I am *not* a fan of 100% wool, having some nylon blended in greatly increases the lifespan of socks. And don't overlook a thin poly liner sock, helps prevent blisters and sock wear as well. Of course, cold water wash, line dry.

02-Jan-21
I use the Wigwams and they seem pretty good. My feet don't have good circulation but with the Wigwams, toe warmers and Baffin boots....I can last for quite a while sitting in temps in the teens and single digits.

03-Jan-21

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Thanks again for the input..

Teton this is it...I turned it inside out in the second picture

04-Jan-21
Funny we have the same rug!!

Shug, is that the fleece or the wool sock? Is that white thing a tag or a logo ??

05-Jan-21
It’s an elastic toyed of fleece.. yes it’s a tag with nothings on it

05-Jan-21
Meh wool is old school.

06-Jan-21
Sock liner ,Darn Tough or Duckworth. If I had to pick one it would be the DT

06-Jan-21
I can't imagine any socks being more comfy than the Gore socks that Sitka used to sell. I wish I had stocked up before they were discontinued.

• Sitka Gear