spike buck 03-Jan-21
BASHER 03-Jan-21
Squash 03-Jan-21
TrapperKayak 03-Jan-21
spike buck 03-Jan-21
Thornton 03-Jan-21
spike buck 03-Jan-21
31-Dec-20
On a couple of related threads, a few posted referred to Ontario’s new Wolf management program. I’m wondering if anyone can provide any specifics and if they have seen any evidence that it might have a positive effect on future game populations.

01-Jan-21
Don’t know much about the new management program, but I did deer hunt NW Ontario from 2006 - 2010. At that time local residents could trap and hunt them and NR could obtain a tag to take a wolf the cost was $350 plus export permit.

The locals treated them just like most people in the states think of coyotes. Members of my hunting party saw and heard them on a regular basis while hunting deer there at that time.

My guess the new management strategy will be more protection of wolves which will equal less deer and moose in the Kenora District.

01-Jan-21

spike buck's embedded Photo
They made it easier for non residents to take a wolf. Use to be you had to have a valid big game license to wolf hunt with a centre fire rifle. If there was a season for big game. Also, a bear hunter for example, would also buy a wolf license. As soon as he tagged his bear he was done with wolf cause he had no valid big game license. So because of this technical rule no one bought a wolf license while bear or deer hunting.

Allowed 2 wolves per year.

New for Fall 2020....Now once you tagged your bear, you can continue on with your wolf with your centrefire rifle.

01-Jan-21
I’d love to do a wolf hunt one day... just curious anyone know the going rate typically??

01-Jan-21
In Ontario, you can do a Bear Wolf combo hunt. Pay the price of a bear hunt and purchase the wolf license. Ask outfitter to set a few wolf baits out while he's baiting bears. Or do a winter wolf hunt.

01-Jan-21
I’d love to do a wolf hunt one day... just curious anyone know the going rate typically??

01-Jan-21
I’d probably do the combo make it more bang for my buck. Winter wolf hunt in the snow sounds fun too tho

01-Jan-21
http://pineacresbearcamp.ca/wolf.html 1695.00 Talk to Chris or Spikebuck - same person

01-Jan-21

Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Huntcell 's embedded Photo

Huntcell 's Link
Edited

Send me PM if you what info on a low cost high success Ontario winter wolf hunt.

01-Jan-21
Is he a sponsor on Bowsite?

01-Jan-21
Nice Wolf Mount!!

01-Jan-21

01-Jan-21

Taken off our Quibell Property...
Taken off our Quibell Property...

01-Jan-21
Edited for you.

Sorry can’t delete the link.

I bad ....will be sleepless nite tonite. Gosh darn what a way to start New Year getting on bad side of thee moderator.

01-Jan-21

If Bowsite.com wanted the link deleted they would have done it for ya Huntcell. Free advertising.

01-Jan-21

01-Jan-21

I have my eye on this nice looking wolf.... would rather one of my clients take him but can't wait for border to open. Recent picture...

Wolves are not the easiest to hunt. I have seen this wolf in person but never with a rifle in my hands at the time.

02-Jan-21

What we will do is set up in a valley where you can see a long ways and call them in. I usually use a lone wolf call or a deer in distress or rabbit. Where this wolf was killed there was a packed deer trail crossing the creek. Wolf came out from the deer trail.

02-Jan-21
Yep, just think we have had to put up with pop ads to raise funds to keep this up and free. Due to lack of sponsorship from guides due to Covid, then people post up guides and camps that do not sponsor on here. Seems counter intuitive to me.

02-Jan-21

This wolf is trained..... North of Kenora.

02-Jan-21

Took this wolf off the bait pictured in previous picture.... we targeted this wolf. Tried with a bow for 3 days but snow storm was coming so used a rifle. ***This hunter had to have a Bear License even though he did not want to tag a bear. Rule change will be less costly for anyone either just wanting to hunt a wolf in the Fall or allow them to continue hunting wolf after he killed his bear, deer or moose.

02-Jan-21

02-Jan-21
Spikebuck, I sent you a PM.

02-Jan-21
I replied squash

02-Jan-21
Spike buck, looks like you have lots of wolves! Go get em!!

02-Jan-21
Got it thanks.

02-Jan-21

02-Jan-21
Keep up the good work spikebuck ! Hopefully the relaxed non resident regulations will benefit hunters and wildlife alike. We could use some major wolf control in Wisconsin

02-Jan-21
Residents and non-residents may purchase a maximum of two wolf/coyote tags per calendar year. The tags may be purchased separately or at the same time. Non-resident can hunt wolf in Ontario without Outfitters

02-Jan-21

Wolf Den...
Wolf Den...
If a hunter wants to do a Combo Bear / Wolf hunt he "must" go through a licensed Ontario outfitter. Otherwise, can just buy a license over the counter. DIY deer hunters do not have to go through an outfitter. I encourage everyone in the field to buy a wolf license.

But, not many Non Resident hunters will pay over $400.00 dollars for a wolf license when takes time to scout and prepare a wolf hunting site. Or take a chance he'll see one while deer hunting...

02-Jan-21
Spike buck I’m gonna PM you

02-Jan-21

What went wrong with the wolves, you have to go back to 2005. They decided to give the wolves a hunting season. Instead of year round. In 2006 they also made it where you had to buy a game seal for about $270.00 and also purchase a small game tag at about $150.00.

The season starts Sept 15th. But we were hunting wolves in conjunction with our bear season. Which opened earlier than open date. Most bear hunters were out of the field by Sept 15th in these woods. Many had a hard time spending an extra $400.00 on a wolf license. My hunters did but pretty well all other Ontario Outfitters hunters didn't.

Wolf problem exploded in about 2011.

Mike, Ontario is not the only province that has a wolf problem How many bears do we see posted on Bowsite that have been eaten by wolves before the Outfitters got to tracking them. Wisconsin is in worse shape than the district I Outfit in. ***Northern Wisconsin has a wolf population that has exploded. Include the coyotes into the equation there. How many threads do you see where the yotes are tagging deer before the hunter.

We have a few late nights each year making sure we get dead bears out before retiring for the nite during bear season. Never leave a white tail for long while I outfit them.

Next the problem of baiting the deer here in the Northwest. But later.

02-Jan-21

Season opened for Non Residents in 1998 in WMU #8. We, at Pine Acres offered a deer hunt but we never had baited sites. We scouted and picked out our hunting sites according to the buck sign we saw. Supplied treestands and semi guided hunts.

In the early 2000's deer hunting became very popular as the NW Ontario district was producing huge bucks. DIY non residents hunters were showing up in droves and Outfitters were popping up everywhere offering non resident hunts. Many diy'ers were buying crown land camping permits and setting up campsites on Crown land to hunt out of.

Of course the Dryden buck ( Poached) never helped the situation either.

About mid 2000's some started baiting their sites. Became very successfull. About 2007 we tried our first baited site with great success. As the season's came and went I noticed many wolves were hunting the same sites we were. There were many deer visiting each site making easy picking for the wolves. About 2013 deer became wary of baits and either fed off the sites with a weary eye for wolves or just plain stopped visiting the baits.

Took me a year or so to figure out something needed to be done about the wolves where I was Outfitting for deer.....

02-Jan-21
I hunted in Ontario for the first time in September of 2019 with Pine Acres. I did a bear and wolf combo hunt and was successful with both. I was instantly obsessed with wolves and that place. As soon as I got home I called Chris and booked a winter wolf hunt. You truly couldn’t find a better outfit to spend a week hunting with.

02-Jan-21
Some great wolf pictures

02-Jan-21

inside the blind...
inside the blind...
Thanks Brian for your comments....This was a natural, weather proof blind we made a few months before the winter showed up. Had a spot where the wolves were hanging out in a gravel pit in WMU#8. Perfect hide out where a hunter could use his heater.

Sometimes you have to set up in close quarters.... like in their bedroom so to speak. I noticed alot of wolves hanging out here. A huge pack. In one year ( 5 months ) here we killed 3 wolves in this gravel pit. Helping out the Whitetails along with putting smiles on hunters faces!!

First pic was of a wolf we took just after building the natural blind in late Fall. 2nd pic is of the Feb winter hunt. Both wolves in 2nd pic were shot 3 days apart from this blind. Turned out to be an excellent site. Doing all the prep work early in the year paid off.

02-Jan-21

03-Jan-21
Mike, our wolves now a days are being managed properly. But as soon as our guard is down they will come back with a vengence. New rules will help even further. .... like I said earlier, there were threads on Bowsite where Bears were eaten before hunters retrieved their bears..... from Sask if I remember correctly. So, many Outfitters have a problem but just wont admit there's a problem in their district.

I am happy to say " We at Pine Acres", have managed the wolf population in our Bear and whitetail area's and see "positive" results this year!!

03-Jan-21

Were out in a clear cut looking over the Blue Berry patch for bears. Hunters took these wolves as they were feasting on the berries. Wolves will eat anything to fill their bellies!! This group of 4 hunters killed 3 wolves in 5 days.

A few more deer will sleep soundly after these wolves were taken!!

03-Jan-21
I hunted in Ontario for the first time in September of 2019 with Pine Acres. I did a bear and wolf combo hunt and was successful with both. I was instantly obsessed with wolves and that place. As soon as I got home I called Chris and booked a winter wolf hunt. You truly couldn’t find a better outfit to spend a week hunting with.

03-Jan-21
Spike buck, I agree with your assessment of baiting deer. In 2006 one member of our DIY hunting group was not having any luck seeing deer hunting on his own. So the outfitter we were renting the cabin from placed him for the last 2 days Of our hunt, on a baited site on private land. All he saw were wolves.

Plus I saw baited sites ,(piles of corn) 20 miles up in the bush on crown land way above the Mafeking Loop.

03-Jan-21
Bear-eating wolves....that's pretty badazz!

03-Jan-21
Squash, we have the Meffkeng Loop West and all crown North for about 22 KM's as Pine Acres Bear Management Areas. So we have managed wolves while Bear hunting there since 2015. Just so happens that the Blue Berry patch wolves were taken there.

Like I said, there was a Deer bait every 1/2 km on most access roads. More hunters than deer (harvest) population could sustain.

I say that the problem with the whitetail population was 80% human caused.... 20% wolf. I am doing my part any where near our private properties and BMA's.

I enjoy a good wolf hunt. Personal and client hunt.

03-Jan-21
Any decently priced wolf hunts in the lower 48? and to add, Manitoba allows a wolf and a coyote when you buy a deer tag.

03-Jan-21
Thornton, I might be wrong but as soon as you take your deer or bear, your done wolf hunting in Manitoba. Have to shoot bear deer first...

• Sitka Gear