wytex 06-Jan-21
CDogger1 06-Jan-21
g5smoke21 09-Jan-21
Buffalo1 11-Jan-21
JL 11-Jan-21
WapitiBob 12-Jan-21
01-Jan-21

JL's Link
I have 7 lope and deer points for Wyoming and was thinking about cashing out the lope points this year on a rifle hunt. The online app period opens tomorrow. While researching some central WY units, I read some recent October posts on another hunting forum and the guys (NR's and locals) who were there were saying there was a large winter kill last year in central WY. They said sightings were pretty low as compared to what they normally see. Does anyone else have any first hand knowledge of how bad the winter kill was in central WY? I might hold off applying if the kill was as widespread as indicated. Gracias.....

01-Jan-21
I would wait to see what this winter shapes up like. Regardless of what happened last year, the next few months could still change the outlook for 2021 quite a bit. I believe you have until the end of May to apply, so there's still time to wait and see.

01-Jan-21
^^^^ That. At this point it’s hard to predict what this year’s winter kill will be. It’s been a fairly mild winter so far, but that could certainly change over the next few months. It was a pretty dry summer and fall as well, so the forage leaves much to be desired. That, coupled with severe winter/spring storms, wouldn’t be a good mix.

01-Jan-21
Wait till game and fish sets the quotas in spring, and check them out usually a good indicator on how things went.

01-Jan-21
Where I hunt we had quite a die off due to a lung disease

01-Jan-21
^...what was the lung disease??

01-Jan-21
Rage in the cage

01-Jan-21
app period opens on Monday 1/4

01-Jan-21
I live in 17 and regularly drive by or thru portions of 15, 16, 10, and others. The population was indeed way down in these areas from my observation. I had a tag in one of the low 70s numbered areas last year and I found animals but there sure could have been more. As was stated above, a very mild winter so far and I'm actually headed out in the morning for a couple days of scouting out some unknown to me, areas west of Casper. I guess I'm most influenced by a prime (small, probably a spring) waterhole and I'm going a searching!

01-Jan-21
What this winter brings won't make much difference if there was significant winter kill last year. There is a good chance most of the older age bucks will be gone.

It can take 4-5 years to overcome the effects of a bad winter.

01-Jan-21
Bob, Unless the Wyoming F&G link above is outdated....most online apps open Saturday (tomorrow), 1/2/21 at 0800....John

01-Jan-21

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
WapitiBob's embedded Photo
that's the 2020 app narrative, this is the link to 2021

02-Jan-21
I think most of Central Wyoming faired ok as far as last winter goes. There were some localized dieoffs in SE and North Central. It really just depends on the specific area. With the dry weather this last spring/summer, antelope overall could be in better shape going into this winter. Hopefully it's not too bad.

02-Jan-21
Bob....yup...you're right. That list of dates in the link is out of date.

"OPEN APPLICATIONS Limited quota applications for elk, deer, antelope, moose, mountain goat, bighorn sheep and spring turkey open at 8 am on January 4, 2021"

Waiting for the spring counts before applying is probably a wise idea. If the quota's have been lowered in the central part of the state...that would be the first hint of a kill-off.

02-Jan-21
Some areas had a rough winter, followed by dry summer and resulting winter range in bad shape right now. This winter could be rough again with their range in poor condition. Best gather some info on areas you are interested in then watch how the herds fare. Lower tags numbers mean higher odds.

05-Jan-21
I hunted 73 last year and had a blast. Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.

05-Jan-21
I hunted the east-central area this fall and we all tagged out. HOWEVER, speaking with the biologists and wardens in the area, neither were happy about the number of tags given out relative to the winters in 18-19.

Regardless of what WYGF puts out, I would call the area warden and biologists to get their take. # of tags issued is not always the best/only metric to go by.

05-Jan-21
Numbers sure down around Laramie, particularly to the north. Winter 2019 bad ... and a heavy snow in June 2020 hit right when the fawns were on the ground ... fawn crop way down

05-Jan-21
We hunted around medicine bow in October and luckily got a goat but it was tuff hunting compared to the hunt ten years ago, as stated 2018 2019 were very hard for survival.

05-Jan-21
how many points does it take to draw a top notch unit?

05-Jan-21
^....define "top notch". Large lopes or alot of lopes???

05-Jan-21
Top areas 12-14 regular draw, 10-12 for the special draw.

06-Jan-21
You can get a great buck in areas that take 5-7 PP. You can also spend 10-12 PP for a buck.

06-Jan-21
I have 10 points . Sounds like I should keep applying for points only for a couple more years. I'd be looking for a big buck.

09-Jan-21
I have enough points for the unit I want to hunt this year and I'm burning them and going. It's more about the experience for me. Might not kill the biggest but I will have fun.

11-Jan-21
I talked with Wy G&F today. Deadline for NR to apply is 6/1.

Quotas will not be known till after March/April so harshness of winter kills can be determined.

Why apply early when you are losing interest and State of Wy is earning interest on your free loan of your money?

11-Jan-21
^....I came to that conclusion too after the sage suggestions from above. Sit tight and wait until the winter kill/quotas are known.

12-Jan-21
Tentative quotas will be out 3rd week of March.

• Sitka Gear