altitude sick 07-Jan-21
Spiral Horn 07-Jan-21
Quinn @work 07-Jan-21
JSW 09-Jan-21
Rgiesey 09-Jan-21
Bou'bound 09-Jan-21
Bou'bound 10-Jan-21
04-Jan-21
I like the guys as BSC and they are very nice and friendly, and I appreciate that they send me a catalog of hunts every year - but am I the only one who gets depressed when I see how inflation and demand keeps driving these hunt prices higher and higher?

DIY for me, not because it is the "in thing" to do, but rather it is my only option!

04-Jan-21
I just got mine in the mail today, my jaw hit the ground when I saw the price of some of the hunts this year. Canmore sheep went up $15,000!!!

04-Jan-21
Sheep hunt prices, along with other higher end hunts, seem to follow the stock market.

04-Jan-21
Haven't gotten mine yet. But yes, I'm with you Ramhunter. Every year I am blown away at some of the prices.

04-Jan-21
Haven’t gotten mine yet either. But I laugh a lot looking at it. Holy crap balls!! Glad I did some of those hunts when I did. Wowzers

04-Jan-21
The cost of buying preference points and NR hunting licenses/tags seems to go up every year as well. Don't look for prices to go down anytime soon, if ever. Even on those high end hunts, guys are waiting in line to drop the asking price.

04-Jan-21
If you want to get really depressed, dig out catalogs from 10-15 years ago and compare.

04-Jan-21
The prices on page 52 & 53 are reasonable... ha

04-Jan-21
Rob what is the Canmore hunt up to now?

04-Jan-21

04-Jan-21
They seem to be the Midway USA of bowhunt retailers.

A solid company with a great reputation. Just Not the best price or value to be found.

04-Jan-21
I looked at it online Saturday and was just floored it is absolutely amazing

04-Jan-21
Good old capitalism supply and demand. Grin and bear it. Just the way it is!!

04-Jan-21
Imagine what the Super Slam would cost just based solely on the pricing in that catalog !!! It wouldn't stop at 1 million and that's if your successful the first time every trip.

04-Jan-21
A million is $34k per species average. So there Is no way that is the cost to do 29 one time hunts

04-Jan-21
I am glad I have not been the only one to see this over the years. It is very depressing, especially for those that don't have ability or someone to show them the ropes for DIY.

04-Jan-21
650K conservatively, 1 time per species. Not including travel, tags, permits, etc.

04-Jan-21
I assume BSC is still charging the same price as the outfitters if you booked direct. If that's the case the only better deals would be cancelation hunts or hunts with lower tier outfitters. As others have stated I'm glad I got most of the high-dollar hunts out of my system a few years ago.

04-Jan-21
Not only is it the price, but the fact that guys and gals spend this much money on these hunts and species, it really is unbelievable! I'm sure some will comment and say I'm jealous because I can't afford it and that really is not the case or the issue. I make plenty, I just work very hard for my money and can't see myself spending $50k on a 7 or 10 day hunt/camping trip. That is just a lot of dough no matter how you look at it.

04-Jan-21
Booked an Alaska moose hunt, and an Alaskan grizzly hunt with them. No shots taken. Yes, I know it’s hunting.

04-Jan-21
Personally I havent used BSC. I Kind of like to do my own research on hunts. Friends I trust have used them successfully and unsuccessfully and the reviews have been mixed, though mostly good. Some of the prices in the catalog are pretty high....

04-Jan-21
I might look at there discounted/cancellation hunts(those emails always come at the worst time) this year. Figure out which one keeps me the furthest away from divorce.

04-Jan-21
The other thing to note on those hunts is how far out manyvare booking. Some due to covid backlog I am sure. Most due To more demand than supply.

One persons life savings is another guys price of a new sports car he’ll keep for a year or less. You can’t count another man’s money.

04-Jan-21
Interest in getting a “super Slam” is a major factor in my opinion. Seems like many have become obsessed with chasing this quest.

04-Jan-21
I love getting that magazine and dreaming about the hunts. Doesn't bum me out at all. Its crazy how much some of those hunts cost but its all relative to income. Some lucky guys that can afford to do them and some guys that can't afford to ...... but they do anyways. Gotta love it.

05-Jan-21
BSC is a terrific outfit with a consistent, excellent reputation.

I don’t disagree with the sentiment that some of these hunt costs have become exorbitant. I used to go on many adventure hunts, however now I’d much rather sink those $$ into hunting properties. It’s strictly a personal preference. I don’t criticize any hunter for paying those prices or outfitters for charging them. It’s truly just supply and demand.

05-Jan-21
I have a Bowhunter magazine from 2000 that has an article one of the BSC guys wrote up with reasonable costs for N.American and value out of country bow hunts.

I guess most things today don’t cost what they did 20 years ago- take a new vehicle or house.

Anyhow some of the guided hunts taking off travel and fees to get trophies back home, most of the hunts I would love to do we’re pretty reasonable 20 years back- muskox was like $3500. Brown Bears like $6500. Sheep hunting is always a top tier type deal- but probably the most noticeable jump.

05-Jan-21
How about the Yukon mountain caribou for $25,900! That is a bargain for sure!

05-Jan-21
Inflation and supply/demand. Twenty years from now some of us on this sight will be dead... and the others will be complaining about paying $1.6 Million to hunt the last Yukon Mountain Caribou. Even I remember when gas was under $1. Everyone can complain about the cost and talk about how cheap it was twenty years ago, but could someone please do the math for me? I'd like to know how the current cost compares with the previous cost in relation to the common salary differences... Most salaries have come a long way as well. Heck, even I got a 1.4% raise this year... just for continuing to come to work!

05-Jan-21
No doubt the prices have gone way up. One thing I wish I would have done over the last 20 years is to have just paid and gone on hunts rather than think I was going to draw tags. Today I sit here with more preference points than I know what to do with and marginal tags to possibly draw.

I think what makes me the most depressed is that many of the hunts that I had wanted to do are not an option ant any price. I would have laughed just 15 years ago had you told me that a caribou slam was unobtanium. The world is changing and that means some things are getting better and some things are getting worse.

Get you butt out there and hunt now, I can only imagine what that catalog will look like in 5 years more than likely it will be double today's price.

05-Jan-21
I received my catalog up here in Alaska today... magazines and stuff get here about a week after the rest of the states

06-Jan-21
That’s good Matthewsman maybe that means you got an extra week at the old prices

06-Jan-21
Honest question... who is BSC?

06-Jan-21

midwest's Link
Bowhunting Safari Consultants.

06-Jan-21
The BSC folks have really got it together. I have been more than pleased with the two African hunts I booked through them years ago and know many other bowhunters that have been extremely happy with a wide variety of hunts. Yes, the prices of hunts have increased dramatically over the years and the supply and demand factor continues to be a driving force. And no doubt the value of the dollar has changed significantly over the years. Example...in 1978 my dad and I went on a 14 day Yukon horseback hunt for Dall sheep, moose, caribou and grizzly for $2,800 each which included the flying in. We both took extremely nice sheep, moose and caribou (rifle). And in 1989 we went back to the Yukon where the high quality 10-day moose/caribou combo was $5,500. I don't want to make folks (including me) s feel more depressed than we already are. I guess my only positive thing to say is obvious in that the prices, as high as they are, will never be cheaper than they are right now. If at all possible try to go on your special hunts as soon as you can.

06-Jan-21
People just look at the price and compare it to the good old days. Has the price of a top end guided hunt gone up higher than inflation? Yes, without a doubt. But so has many other things.

My 2006 Duramax cost me $35,000. In 15 years, the cost of a comparable truck is at least $60,000 maybe even $70,000. Almost double in 15 years. Has the cost of these hunts doubled in 15 years? That's probably about right. I don't think these prices are out of line if you make a reasonable comparison to a lot of other things we think we need. Another comparison. Stan took a combo hunt in 1989 for $5,500. At that time you could buy a new truck for probably twice that. That same hunt today costs about the half as much of a new truck. Maybe not exactly but still a fair comparison.

Bowhunting Safari Consultants do a great job of finding outfitters who will cater to bowhunters. Bowhunters are spending the money to go on these hunts. Many of us are starting to tap into our retirement accounts and we realize that we have more than we need to survive. We can either spend the excess on hunting or leave it to our children.

I defend these prices knowing that I'm just too much of a tightwad to go on a lot of these hunts. I just cant drop $50,000 knowing that chances are good that I won't even nock up an arrow, let alone fill the tag. My Mennonite roots just don't allow for that level of frivolity, even though I probably can afford it.

06-Jan-21
I’m kinda like JSW. I can afford to go on most any hunt I want, but dropping $40-70 grand on a hunt where I may not get a shot, or even if I do get a shot, doesn’t make sense to me. I absolutely am not bashing those that do think that’s a good deal. If it works for you, have at it, and enjoy. I went on fairly expensive bow hunts for grizzly and moose in Alaska and never had a shot opportunity. Likely won’t happen again.

07-Jan-21
Maybe somebody has already pointed this out, but BSC doesn't set the prices, the outfitters do. My comment above was about being depressed I didn't go on more hunts earlier and spend the money when I was younger. Stan Rauch and JSW nailed it with their comments.

07-Jan-21
Got the magazine and that was my first impression. Can't believe what an elk hunt costs let alone a Yukon Moose.

The one that really caught my eye and seems like quite a bargain is on the Global Hunting Resources email I got. They have a Altai Argali hunt for only $115,000 plus you could add an Ibex for $13,500. Checked and the airfare to Mongolia priced me out. :)

07-Jan-21
In 2003, I had only hunted about 4-5 species of the NA29. Between 2003-2011 (having sold my business) as a bachelor and with no children, I hunted the remaining 24-25 species. Bowhunting was, and continues to be my passion. I got married about three months after I finished the NA29. I don't know if I would chase that goal if I was just starting today. What I DO know is this....if bowhunting really drives you, if you think about it everyday....do it while you can. It isn't going to get cheaper. Set personal goals that will generate the opportunity which will allow you to chase the species that you dream of. It doesn't even necessarily have to be all about the money, either. Look at Nick Muche...he moved to Alaska. THAT is the action of someone who enjoys the great outdoors! With all of the craziness that is seeping into everyday life, who can guarantee what the future of hunting/bowhunting will even look like in 20 years....

07-Jan-21
True words Medicineman. Young people will look back and remember when you could just go hunting where and when you wanted. With talks of 401s and all other things being redistributed. Hunts will be so highly taxed as pure luxury. None of us will be able to afford them. Notice the latest addition to the lingo is (EQUITY) it’s no longer just Equality. They added equity. What do you think Equity means. That means you shouldn’t have so much money you can spend on such frivolous things such as chasing an animal around with a bow. Back to the point. Go now if that is your goal. Don’t wait. It won’t be available let alone affordable.

07-Jan-21
Have to completely agree with Jake here. Similarly, after dabbling in Bowhunting for over 20 years, in 2002, I decided to pursue the SCI World Hunting Award with bow and arrow. Knew it would take a considerable investment of both time and money. Had to pace myself to balance money/responsibilities.

But sure and steady, after many bowhunting adventures on 6 continents I finished it in 2019. Now I’m doing just what Jake suggested and hunting a few species I’ve always coveted. It’s truly been a blast — no regrets.

Yes, prices have increased considerably over the years. The good news is everything hasn’t increased at quite the same rate. It takes a bit of research or knowledge to know a great deal in a good area offered by a good outfitter. Those don’t last long. Pouncing on a great deal, or hunting what’s not currently “in vogue” really helped me over the years.

There are still great values available, such as: - Free-range Aoudad = not very expensive, very exciting to hunt, and a mature ram is a spectacular trophy. Don’t know what folks are waiting for on this species, very shortly it will skyrocket in $ - Spanish Ibex / European Chamois = great mountain Bowhunt, fantastic food, lodging, culture and sight-seeing; still a great value - African Plainsgame, Hippo or Buffalo. Free-range Bowhunting is available on all of these, just takes a little research. Incredible hunting & great value. Plus all the unsolicited input on the best arrow & broadheads for dangerous game.

As Jake said = since bowhunting/hunting is my passion, I’m chasing like my days are numbered.

07-Jan-21
Spiral, Agree on the free range Aoudad. Just 3 years ago it was about $3500 and it's starting to climb fast. Those hunts are now $5,500-$6,500. Glad I've done a few at less than $4,000 all in recently. It's a great hunt.

09-Jan-21
What's interesting about this is, almost 100% of those hunts will be booked and in some cases you would be a couple of years out if you called them today.

You have to be thankful to live in a country that allows you to earn enough money to do this and also just allows you to do it at all. I'm glad I did all of my bucket list hunts before today. I'm afraid things are going to change dramatically in the next few years.

09-Jan-21
Amen Jim.

09-Jan-21
The number of available hunts is far below the number of wealthy hunters. The model works for those with money and outfitters. That’s the way it should be. Nobody is entitled some are blessed

10-Jan-21
The number of available hunts is far below the number of wealthy hunters. The model works for those with money and outfitters. That’s the way it should be. Nobody is entitled some are blessed

• Sitka Gear