drycreek 06-Jan-21
SIP 06-Jan-21
Bowman 08-Jan-21
05-Jan-21

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo

Zbone's Link
Here's the story:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/ny-carrot-the-deer-arrow-head-20201218-3ht7ed3b7bgavkthj4ewtfoope-story.html

There's at least 3 videos on youtube, here is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwr4TIPfm6w

05-Jan-21
Just hit him with a tazer and go pull it out. Easy!

05-Jan-21
The broadhead didn't deploy. Wait, what broadhead.

05-Jan-21
Very unfortunate. Many voters see this as the face of hunting, and I guess to some extent it is. Hopefully the animal recovers... as the image lives to infamy on Youtube.

05-Jan-21
In that picture it looks like the boat is just through the skin on the backside of the skull. I didn’t watch a video on it so maybe there’s a different angle but that picture looks to me like the deer’s would be just fine, Though it would be nice for that bolt to work it’s way out sooner than later

05-Jan-21
The bolt clearly hit skull bone.

05-Jan-21
I agree that this shines a very negative light on most law abiding, honest hunters. Non-hunters that see this likely won't forget that image. UPDATE: This happened in Kenora Ontario, a few hours from where I live... The MNR were able to tranquilize the deer and remove the arrow. The deer is expected to make a full recovery.

05-Jan-21
Nothing more sporting than shooting yard bucks with a cross gun. If you’re going to hunt behind the mall put the arrow where it needs to be.

05-Jan-21
I will not be quick to judge the hunter. For all of us, hunting potentially has it's ugly moments.

05-Jan-21
I saw this before, something is odd (besides it being an xgun bolt). How was that bolt shot through the neck of that deer without a BH or Target point on it. It looks like a clean new insert on the shaft. It makes me wonder if it isn't photoshopped by someone who is promoting anti-hunting and like most of them, knows nothing about it.

05-Jan-21
I thought that I read that they were able to approach the animal and there was no sign of infection, etc. There was a plan to try and cut the shaft. I think at this point that bolt is sealed off at both ends which is helping keep the wound somewhat clean. If they cut it off, do you guys think that has the potential to let things inside? If that shaft is cracked at all, and they take the top and bottom off, any debris has the chance to get under the skin via that shaft (IMO).

05-Jan-21
The head could have been screwed on just a bit loose and rattled off over time. Who here has never had a head come loose?

05-Jan-21
It may not necessarily be a hunter. I have seen too many pictures, videos of deer living with bolts in their heads. Usually some kids or idiot that wasn't hunting, but just being cruel. The angle definately suggests that the shot was from elevation though. Maybe a poacher looking for a drop on the spot shot. Or maybe the deer was sniffing a high branch or eating browse from above and had his head turned up, suggesting maybe a ground shot from poacher, or other type of moron. I have a hard time thinking that it was a hunter, with that kind of shot.

Unfortunately though, yes, bad hunter is what the majority will see this as. Definately not good for us.

05-Jan-21
I have a hard time thinking it was a hunter too.

My take is that the shot angle was from ground (or ground level deck) level on a deer with it's head down feeding. Figure it is akin to a kid shooting birds off a feeder with his new Redrider... doesn't really know what he's doing but wants to plinking at stuff. Maybe, maybe not. With that said I've talked with people who thought it was a good idea to target the head on deer, coons, yotes, etc thinking any hit at all would be instantly lethal without the recognition that a jaw or neck shot would cause suffering.

05-Jan-21
I truly recognize that this is not an answer, and that there might or might not be a justifiable explanation for what we see, but I have one thought. Wood arrows break: sometimes this is bad and creates a problem to getting a good hit or recovering the animal. In this regard it might just be a good quality. That arrow shaft would likely have broken from the deer trying to move through brush or a small space, and fallen out. Enuf said

05-Jan-21
I wonder if it was a disgruntled property owner who was sick of all the tame deer feeding in there gardens and shrubs and decided to scare it off with a xgun and no point thinking it would bounce off the deer. That would make sense to me.

05-Jan-21

JL's Link
Yup....Carrot lives!!

05-Jan-21
Catscratch05 - "Just hit him with a tazer and go pull it out"

That was a good one...8^) But yeah, when he comes up to eat out of hand, position your body, grab hold fletch end quick and tight and let him jerk away... Easy peasy...

Danac - Yeah, arrowhead loosened and rattled off is what I thought too when I first seen it...

05-Jan-21
Weird thing is he now speaks fluent french.

05-Jan-21
ROFLMAO, Noob!

And I agree that a wood or aluminum arrow would never have made the news.

I sure didn’t see anything that looked like a broadhead exit wound, or entry, for that matter. And you would expect that ANY kind of a broadhead would have broken the skull and damaged quite a bit of brain matter...

Funny, though, that they said that the Fish Cops said that they weren’t going to put him down because “the deer appeared to be acting normally”.

Exactly what part of a Deer being hand fed by a human is “behaving normally”???

06-Jan-21

The last savage's embedded Photo
The last savage's embedded Photo
Link you never know whats behind a mall bro, this old boy was,, and was hit well..

06-Jan-21
Watched the video. Sho nuff did go thru the skull.. I too dont see how the bolt could have had a broadhead on it, seems like there would be some damage/evidence of such. Certainly doesn't paint a good “image” of hunting but the honest truth is there is no way to know what actually happened. May not have been a hunting situation at all as mentioned above. Punk kid that knew better, or even just a kid that shoulda known better and made a terrible choice, disgruntled homeowner spending money on landscaping and having an animal eating the bushes he paid for, a hunter taking a terrible shot, a hunter taking a shot and the deer reacted to the sound of the gun going off....who knows....

But of course we know how it will always be painted

06-Jan-21
I’ve shot quite a few deer in the head with a bow and arrow. They all fell over dead. That arrow is too far back. Straight down like that, between the horns will get them every time.

:^)

06-Jan-21
If I said who did it I’d be labelled a racist. But some people in town know who the perp is. You won’t see any charges of any kind.

06-Jan-21
There are recorded cases of people having R-bar running through the head and surviving. It is an issue often cited by OSHA on construction sites, uncapped impalement hazards.

Also a case of a kid having his grandmother's flower stake running through him lengthwise. Was climbing a trellace fell back and was impaled through the hips, torso and exiting top of the head. FD removed him from the scene and then he went in for surgery to have it removed.

06-Jan-21
Live2hunt may have a point. I know a guy that unscrewed a point and shot a cow trying to scare her off from where he was hunting. He spined her and she went down. He pulled the arrow out, to his credit, and after awhile the cow got up and left. The only smart thing about this whole scenario is that he did pull the arrow out. No crossbow involved here, it was a compound.

06-Jan-21
Frankenstein had a bolt in his neck and he did better than you’da guessed

08-Jan-21

Bowman's embedded Photo
Bowman's embedded Photo

Bowman's Link
Did you know Tetrisgame? If not, let's experience it with me

• Sitka Gear