Shiloh 07-Jan-21
altitude sick 07-Jan-21
kakiatkids 07-Jan-21
Shaft2Long 07-Jan-21
trophyhill 07-Jan-21
Mike Ukrainetz 07-Jan-21
Duke 08-Jan-21
06-Jan-21
Not considering price, which camo is better?

Another way to ask this is the extra money for Sitka worth it?

06-Jan-21
I have both and both are great, but Sitka extra money is not worth Just my 2 cents

06-Jan-21
Which ever fits you best, and is on sale. I would never pay full price on Sitka or the other so called high end camo clothes.

06-Jan-21
They're hard to compare anymore, in my opinion, because Sitka makes SO much more, to fit different situations.

To me, Kuiu is still mountain hunting, whereas Sitka makes clothing for whitetail in stands, ducks, etc.

But if you compare comparable clothing pieces side by side, I do NOT think Sitka is better than Kuiu. But, I also don't know that Kuiu is that much cheaper anymore. I need a new heavy puffy coat, and the Kuiu version is $379, the comparable Sitka piece is $399

06-Jan-21
kuiu... always kuiu...

06-Jan-21
Will you be doing any hunting where the possibility of being mauled by a grizzly exists?

06-Jan-21
Yes. Going brown bear hunting Alaska in June with the bow

06-Jan-21
I've wondered that myself. They're both expensive and look good. I think the KUIU looks better of the 2 but there's no store that carries it to try on first before buying.

06-Jan-21

06-Jan-21
Both are good gear. I like sitka thou

06-Jan-21
Awesome....good luck on your bear hunt, JG!

06-Jan-21
I have the Sitka Fanatic coat and bibs, but everything else I have is Kuiu. For me, a better fit, great quality and a little easier on the wallet.

06-Jan-21
I like Kuiu patterns better.

06-Jan-21
I have pieces from the “Big 3”.

I think it’s all way over priced, it’s all made in China, camo pattern is irrelevant. Sitka is definitely the most expensive.

That said, when you can get as close to an apples to apples comparison as possible, to me, Sitka is a higher quality. Stitching and hat feel of construction and material just feels better.

If your under 6’ and skinny, Kuiu has a better fit it seems on the upper body. Sitka ABSOLUTELY has more to offer upper body and fits better if you’re a bigger guy. Kuiu’s pants do fit nice though and seem to run “ true to size.”

It’s gonna come down to spending the dough and trying it on. That’s where Sitka has some advantages because they have stuff in local retail outlets to try on.

06-Jan-21
Lots of factors to consider before choosing.

Will you be on business or vacationing?

Will dining be formal or casual?

Will this be before or after memorial day?

Will you be doing runway work or location shoots?

What energy do you want to convey? Joyful, summery, playful, fresh or introspective, moody, sarcastic and edgy?

Will you want to catch the current NYC urban vibe, or the Milan country villa essence?

You may need both :^)

06-Jan-21
I think both make really good gear but I am a Sitka fan personally. Don't think you can really go wrong with either.

06-Jan-21
I have both and neither were bought for the camo.

Kuiu attack pants are great. A wise man once told me they are yoga pants for men.

In a soft shell jacket it’s hard to beat the Sitka jet steam.

06-Jan-21
Tried KUIU wasn’t impressed. Switched to First Lite. Really love the pattern and the design is great.

06-Jan-21
I have some Sitka and like them and I'm sure most of the good stuff is expensive, Sitka, Kuiu,and others. Good Luck on your Bear hunt and make sure to buy the outfit that Brown Bear's don't like the taste of that brand.

Kurt

06-Jan-21
LOL. Great advice BigStriper.

06-Jan-21
I have a bunch of both plus some FL.

Seems like I usually end up wearing FL base layers and fleece, Kuiu Pants, and Sitka whitetail stuff. It's all good.

06-Jan-21
You don’t need expensive camo to kill a brown bear over bait. Wear the quietest and most comfortable clothing you can.

06-Jan-21
The one that's on sale...and what Nick said^

06-Jan-21
I love Kuiu pants and jackets. Everything else I have is First Lite. The ladies in my house love Sitka and it's great as well. It's all good and they all support hunting and conservation. Just buy whatever fits your body best and enjoy some quality gear.

Also, very wise to listen to anything Nick says about bear hunting in AK. He kills more than a few :)

06-Jan-21
I have both as well. I prefer Sitka pants, tried kuiu and didn’t like the fit. I also wear Sitka base layer but only because they were on sale at the time.

Other than that I’m a kuiu guy.

I only wear kuiu jackets and vest, but like other posters said I’m 5’11 165 lbs, and they are perfect for my build.

Pro down jacket is fantastic, love the compact packing ability and it’s crazy warm but I think Kuius vest are even better. They are my favorite.

Good luck!

06-Jan-21
I agree with Bake. It’s hard to compare across the whole line. Kuiu has basically nothing for whitetail hunting in my opinion. I have lots of Sitka for that. For everything else I have kuiu (and I have a lot). I think they are both pretty comparable when comparing similar pieces.

That said, when I started buying Kuiu was pretty significantly less expensive, that doesn’t seem to be so much the case now. I may reconsider if my house burned down and I was starting over...

—Jim

06-Jan-21
Guys that mix brands are rebels. I secretly admire them but for me it’s “all Sitka, all the time”

06-Jan-21
I agree with Michael the jet stream jacket is where it’s at. I’ve shoot deer out of a stand but it’s a tad on the noisy side for that. If you buy the jetstream get it in a solid, you’ll want to wear it everywhere.

06-Jan-21
All sitka all the time. I even wear sika underwear every day. My ski jacket is sitka my work pants and jacket.......sitka. I wish they made socks!

06-Jan-21
For base layers and tops I prefer KUIU and First Lite. For pants, I love the Sitka Ascents. Camo has zero influence on my choices.

06-Jan-21
I bought a Sitka vest and jacket off a clearance rack(I think someone screwed up LOL)at bass pro down here a couple months ago and I can barely ware the damn vest it’s so warm.

06-Jan-21
Get an ASAT leafy suit and be done with it.

06-Jan-21
I saw a pic of forestbows next to a whitetail with Kuiu on once! He’s an imposter!

06-Jan-21
Lets see the pic Danny!

06-Jan-21

pirogue's embedded Photo
pirogue's embedded Photo

06-Jan-21
With a picture of him wearing camo (smacking forehead emoji)

06-Jan-21
Camp pattern is the last thing on the list of priorities I look at when comparing the items.

But, since you’re asking about the patterns of all patterns by both companies Kuiu Vias is my favourite.

06-Jan-21
First lite! Mostly the non camo stuff for me!

06-Jan-21
Have multiple pieces of both. Favorites are Kuiu Attack Pants, Superdown Hoodie, Peloton 240 Hoodie, and Chugauch Raingear — Verde is my favorite camo pattern. But if met on a mountainside I’ll just as likely have my Sitka Jetstream Jacket and Vest in Optifade Alpine.

Also have to agree with the legendary Fred Bear - several pieces, especially pants and insulating layers are drab solid colors like gunmetal, brown or dark olive.

06-Jan-21
Whatever Camofire has on Sitka Saturdays. Have all Sitka but would never pay retail.

06-Jan-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Kuiu top and old school Sitka bottoms....A deadly combination.

06-Jan-21
Oh my choices choices...... man bun or pony tail!!!!

Bald

06-Jan-21
Sitka base layers do much against my skin, so I always wear bast layers from Sitka. I use both beyond that though... although I typically lean Sitka. You can always find somewhere on sale too.

06-Jan-21
Find a friend that’s on Sitka staff and buy for 40% off.

06-Jan-21
Going back in time forest but I’m sure it was the original spindrift jacket!

07-Jan-21
What wapitibob said! I would hate to pay full price, but I have some at half price.

07-Jan-21
On both brands. For me it’s not the camo pattern that make the brand

It’s all the little features that you find after wearing them for a while. Both brands come into their own on mountain backpack hunts. Where weight and drying time are the key factors. Neither are the quietest for stand archery hunting. The fanatic series is (more) quiet than a soft or hard shell. But not as quiet as berber fleece or wool without a laminate. And the Fanatic or wool would not dry quickly between hunts.

What about wearing heavy Berber fleece over a quality rain suit for stealth.

07-Jan-21
I am a Sitka man now but personally love the OLD Cabela's Berber Fleece Whitetail series.

07-Jan-21
"Whatever Camofire has on Sitka Saturdays. Have all Sitka but would never pay retail."

Yep, thats good. I recently discovered Euro Optic. Recently impulse bought a Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody for 75 off I think. You can cruise around the site, find stuff you like and submit a email for notification when the price drops, works pretty good.

07-Jan-21
I have some Sitka but found out it’s made in china. I hear Kuiu is also made in china. I recently googled Berry Compliant camo and ordered a vest and hoody in Multicam from a company called XGO. I’m done buying china shit if I can help it.

07-Jan-21
I think Glunt@work had the funniest comment! Haha

Both are great and sometimes not so great. Depends on their use.

08-Jan-21
Camo is made to fool the hunter, which the camo industry has become very good at.

• Sitka Gear