Pat Lefemine 12-Jan-21
BW 12-Jan-21
BW 12-Jan-21
SteveD 12-Jan-21
JL 13-Jan-21
Missouribreaks 13-Jan-21
Pope125 13-Jan-21
07-Jan-21
Anybody seen the Excalibur TwinStrike crossbow with dual shot technology... basically a dual over/under crossbow?

07-Jan-21
Perfect, the lazy just got lazier!!!!

07-Jan-21
I ain't buying one until it's at least a six shot.

07-Jan-21

DNEWER's embedded Photo
DNEWER's embedded Photo
Now now we have to accept all “legal” means lest we lose 1 hunter. FFS!!! If anybody ever hunts public land during bow season in an area that has legalized crossbow inclusion you can probably testify to the number of hunters in the field. Yet we need more hunters so we put out bastardized and perversions of archery equipment t and force it down your throat and force you to accept it or be ostracized and labeled negative or an old crusty or someone who is not a friend to “hunting”. Don’t buy the big tent BS.

07-Jan-21
I thought you were joking until I looked it up. don't blame the manufacturers as they don't build a product unless there is a demand.

07-Jan-21
I agree with greenmountain.

07-Jan-21
You want new technology, you get new technology. We are a few decades too late for hitting the brakes.

Looks like something I would see my son carrying while playing Fortnite.

07-Jan-21
Wonder if you can fire both bolts at once???

07-Jan-21
Does it shoot them both at the same time? Or is the second one basically like an over-under shotgun?

07-Jan-21
Turkey hunting and/or for a follow-up shot on a spined deer are the only places I see it useful to a crossbow hunter. I see this as no worse, no better than a regular crossbow. If it saves even one cripple from getting away, it'll be worth it to the owner.

Based on yesterdays events in DC, this is the least of our worries.

07-Jan-21
Eliminate weapons designated seasons and crossbows disappear 100% guaranteed.

07-Jan-21
It's like a dual trigger side x side. You can fire both at once but not designed with that in mind.

07-Jan-21
They will sell well in states like Michigan and Wisconsin. There are few dedicated bow and arrow hunters left in these states.

07-Jan-21
Many youth in these states do not even know what bow and arrow hunting is. Parents are the enablers.

07-Jan-21
"Turkey hunting and/or for a follow-up shot on a spined deer are the only places I see it useful to a crossbow hunter."

It been 80-90 years since I missed anything with my bow ;) but I have seen times when if I could shoot a second arrow right away no doubt I could have got a second shot.

07-Jan-21
First big joke of 2021

07-Jan-21
Reasonably priced I'll take 2 just kidding seriously I'm with Scrappy I'll hold out till it's a 6 shot lol

07-Jan-21
He!!, they'll probably sell like hot cakes here in Ohio, the xgun capital of the world, except they might limit them to only 3 bolt models since you're only allowed 3 shot shotguns during deer seasons...8^)

07-Jan-21
Gonna be a regulation nightmare lol

07-Jan-21
There is no end to the ability to one-up prior technology. Just sad, and one more step towards trivializing archery as a passion, sport, and hunting challenge. It takes much from us and gives back very little except to the manufacturers.

07-Jan-21
Not crazy about this but in all honesty it’s the least of our worries

07-Jan-21
First big joke of 2021

07-Jan-21
Archery in it's purest form right there. And what is really scary, is that the technological apex is not even close to being reached. Not archery, not hand drawn, not hand held. Sorry, that and the AirBow are not archery and belong in a firearms season.

07-Jan-21
Any time a company makes a big departure from the 'norm' or what is clearly covered in regulations, to a product like this, or one that may have certain advantages, they are taking a risk.

In this case, I think it'll slide through regulations, but I wouldn't be surprised if its met with a lot of mixed feelings from a consumer and state reg level. And a lot of those mixed feelings might come from the NACF board which is comprised of Excalibur competitors. They can, and will, contest it if they see fit...

Technology will keep advancing though as companies are pushed to produce new and innovative ideas to stay relevant and drive revenue ... Pretty soon you'll be able to buy a top end crossbow (not that garbage parker made) that auto-cocks and eventually one that probably fires multiple rounds... bet on it.

07-Jan-21
Pat's comment is correct.

IMO, the noose is tightening on America's hunting and gun ownership. Hard to believe some hunters voted for this, how ignorant.

07-Jan-21
Considering yesterday’s riot at the capital building, I feel my Biden vote has been vindicated.

07-Jan-21
Has been going on all year in major cities.

07-Jan-21
And yes, it is uncalled for.

07-Jan-21
Well, if some idiot wants. To carry around a 14 pound bow, then have at it. I guess it's for the who drinks while they hunt and sees two targets. Also, if you spend 2300 dollars on that you need your head examined.

07-Jan-21
KS. so you ageee with antifa

I think your Biden vote was perfect for you. It defines you

07-Jan-21
It MSRPs for $2,222.22 ... how clever

07-Jan-21
Always cracks me up to see compound shooters ripping on crossbows, so single-shot crossbow guys are going to carp about over-unders??

Gimme a break.

08-Jan-21
I will take two. Going to need all the firepower I can get when our country really does decide to go full crazy.

On a honest note. Who would want to carry a 14 lb weapon hunting? In our new era of everything has to be lighter Excalibur goes the other direction.

08-Jan-21
“ Who would want to carry a 14 lb weapon hunting? ”

My Lyman GPR is no flyweight, but it balances snd carries quite well. A Bowtech Commander... to hell widdat.

I do like my stickbows. Cannot begin to imagine hauling a 14 pound anchor up the hill…

08-Jan-21
I also hunt with a Lyman GPR occasionally. "Only" 9 pounds but I can pretend I'm Jim Bridger so it's sort of fun to carry.

08-Jan-21
And they just balance SO sweetly!

Besides… When I first cited mine in, I ended up shooting a one whole group at 50 yards. Six shots. Iron sites. I was happy.

Of course my eyes were a lot better then!

08-Jan-21
The weight is 7.75 lbs.

08-Jan-21
About 20 years ago I read an article/story about a hunter who decided his goal was to make every part of his bow and arrows by himself (no manufactured parts at all) and kill a deer with it. He described the incredible volume of research, choosing the tree and string material, how to fasten and adhere everything. It took over 2 years but he’d completely fashioned the bow and about 8 arrows. Then he scouted without the aid of optics, and fashioned a ground blind using stone tools. After multiple failed attempts he finally took a mature Whitetail Doe, and marveled at the accomplishment. I cannot begin to fathom the complete depth of his satisfaction, and deeply admire what he’d done. But like most of us I never really aspired to his goals.

While I’m not at all interested interested in a dual-fire crossbow (looks downright dangerous and impractical to me), I won’t be quick to condemn those who are. Someone will buy them or they’ll quit making them. I know a growing number of guys who were once dedicated vertical bow-only hunters who due to age, infirmity, vision or other issues, have chosen to pick up a crossbow so they can continue to hunt via limb and string. Still others who find the crossbow intriguing and just want to try it. I can also relate to the frustration many dedicated bowhunters feel when seeing the woods swelling with crossbow hunters during archery-only seasons.

But we should all take a long look in the mirror before condemning other hunters. Was at a hunting banquet in 2019 where a guy was showing off a high 150s Whitetail he’d taken via “traditional archery gear.” But the rest of the story kinda goes like this = compiled a depth of data (some public and some he paid for) to determine the areas with the best deer genetics, then used satellite imagery within those areas to determine the best terrain/habitat, approached the landowner and outbid the standing lease. Then used a gauntlet of trail cams to ID the target buck and continually track his habits and movements via electronics and cell connection right up until shooting him with traditional gear, all the while playing the wind via the latest Ozonics and knowing the exact distance via a laser rangefinder. Although a recurve was used to take the deer, doubt that Saxton, Art or Ishi would approve.

08-Jan-21
For the cost and weight of a nice long range rifle you can shoot 2 bolts .5% the distance. Sounds great! Not. The only time this thing will be relevant is a zombie apocalypse.

08-Jan-21
Long range rifles generally are not for use during archery only seasons, the scoped and cocked crossbows are in many states.

08-Jan-21
I’m well aware of that. You definitely missed the point of my comment.

08-Jan-21
Guess I did, sorry.

08-Jan-21
"I thought you were joking until I looked it up. don't blame the manufacturers as they don't build a product unless there is a demand."

Seriously doubt the demand for a double barrel xgun...they just know how lazy and dumb the modern-day so-called hunter has gotten, and they know they'll trip over themselves to make it even EASIER. At some point we have to ask ourselves are we interested in hunting, or just killing by whatever means possible..

08-Jan-21
South Farm I hate crossguns. With that said you just very eloquently posted why there is very much is a demand for a "double barrel xgun" ;)

08-Jan-21
Death, taxes, and the daily thread bitching about crossbows.

08-Jan-21
Just one mans bitching opinion here:

In the beginning of the crossbow introduction to our bow seasons, I pretty much had Pat’s attitude, “much to do about nothing”. Since then, my thoughts and feelings have changed, greatly. I now fall more in line with South Farm’s opinion. Statistically, archery kills are overtaking ALL other kills in archery season in many states and if not in your state yet, they soon will. I know most states don’t care what season the deer are killed in so long as they’re killed, but sooner rather than later, I believe this is going to have an adverse effect on the length of bow seasons nationwide. And I for one, don’t want to give up one damned minute, let alone days or weeks. Also, I think if we don’t start policing ourselves, somebody will do it for us, and your not gonna like the results. You hit the nail square on the head South Farm as far as I’m concerned.

08-Jan-21
More than deer are being killed with scoped and cocked crossbows. Great baited bear medicine, sit and relax for the 60 yard plus action.

Turkeys do not like crossbows either, no longer have to "draw" on them.

08-Jan-21

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
Old news boys, old news.

08-Jan-21
Reality is... who cares. People will buy. People will use it. People will hate it. People will love it.

This is no different than any other product. A company making a product to turn a profit. It really does not matter what we think. JMHO iplumb

08-Jan-21
My bad lost arra , it is 7.75 lbs.

08-Jan-21
Weight is not a problem. Haven’t you seen the support that they have in the box blinds to hold em up

08-Jan-21
Like to had that sob about a month ago .. missed a 130 he stands there .. quiver laying bottom of tree for the ol pse. Double barrel would of been handy

08-Jan-21
But it's a recurve so wouldn't it be considered trad?

10-Jan-21
Old news boys, old news.

10-Jan-21
BC173, I never said crossbows in archery were much ado about nothing.

You completely missed the point. Given we are in real danger of losing our 2A rights in this country (given the events of the last few weeks) I’m not at all concerned about a two shot crossbow.

That was my only point. I have been opposed to liberalization of crossbows during archery season since the very beginning.

10-Jan-21
How many of you guys are looking to buy one? True story

10-Jan-21
Sorry Pat, I did miss your point. I re-read your post and, I get it now.

10-Jan-21
Maybe folks haven’t really considered that technology has impacted all hunting methods (and will continue to). In addition to crossbows:

Compounds - when I started bowhunting “cam timing” was a huge issue, then cam solo cams and slave cams, super-hardened risers and parallel limbs led to unheard of speeds, carbon arrows, drop-away rests, pre-stretched strings, and vastly improved fletching and sights. But for me the “game changer” was laser rangefinders. Today, I can buy a bow, rig it, tune it, and be shooting acceptable 50-yard groups with broadheads on the same day. Couldn’t even dream that 40 years ago.

Muzzleloaders - the changes have stretched reality. I grew up in PA and was restricted to an open-sight flintlock with a patched round ball and black powder. Now I see western states that allow (for use in the primitive weapon hunting season) scoped in-lines using smokeless or palletized powder with modern sabot bullets, with shotgun primers or electronic ignition. Unlike my 50yard flinter (on a dry day), theses guns shoot groups at 250 yards.

Rifles - some folks get upset over a 60yard crossbow shot, but I see the long-range rifle craze and the legalized use of AR platforms as hunting tools. The non-hunting public (who we all need in order to survive) just won’t accept either. Although, as a retired soldier I understand the skill required to make a 1000yard plus rifle shot. But to quote a famous gun writer when asked about taking an elk at 600+ yards, his response was, “get closer.” I personally don’t see the hunting skill in buying a pre-tuned rifle, custom ammo tuned to a shooting solution, Kestral, ballistic computer and solutions built into portable electronics, and portable shooting platforms to go on a hunt. At 2019 Sportsman’s Shows I discussed this with game officials from several western states, all of which said it was a huge and growing problem. Every year they are finding more and more dead but unrecovered rifle shot animals. And, this is only what they find - so they believe the problem is far greater. It is a huge issue that they see impacting harvest quotas.

10-Jan-21
My solution is simple. No sights allowed on any bow, and no optical sight on any firearm. We'd put the "sport" back into sport hunting in one fell swoop.

10-Jan-21
"My solution is simple. No sights allowed on any bow, and no optical sight on any firearm. We'd put the "sport" back into sport hunting in one fell swoop."

I've had a similar idea, but it would be to remove mechanical releases from archery instead of sights. This would bring back the need for true practice and not just sight in and forget it that we currently have.

10-Jan-21
Great just what we need equipment police.

10-Jan-21
What guys choose to hunt with is not my major concern, it's a personal choice, but this is BOWSITE, and as such I'd go out on a limb and presume most of you enjoy BOWHUNTING...and If you truly value your BOW SEASONS you have to draw a line in the sand at equipment becoming too advanced. There's no arguing that the kill is way up due to the advent of crossbows...so something has to give...and my guess is it'll be shortened and condensed bow seasons. Anyway, the good news about that is you can now say you shot yourself in BOTH feet at the same time..

10-Jan-21
Dang Catscratch, thanks for the enlightenment. Now all of us that use a release can quit practicing. Who knew?

10-Jan-21
South Farm. THAT was funny

So many reasons for so many things in the hunting industry And unfortunately a scapegoat is always looked for with every issue.

Not much different than other forms of recreation

As for the dual crossbow. Can’t wait to shoot it just to see how it operates.

And I also think we have way bigger things to deal with these days

10-Jan-21
Ya, maybe I worded that poorly. No slight on you guys that fling a lot of arrows. I know plenty of you do. I'm just reflecting on my personal experience. I can put my bow away in November then pick it up in May and hit bullseyes right off the bat. When I was shooting fingers that couldn't happen. Over Christmas this year I took a 17yr old kid out (he had never shot a bow), put my compound in his hand, told him how to shoot, and watched him hit bullseyes at 15yds on his first try. We moved back to 20 and he shot several groups with only an occasional flyer that wasn't more than 4 inches off. He could kill a deer after a single afternoon. If people are worried about shortened seasons due to increase kill efficiency then I think we were there before crossbows became common in most of the nation. Compounds are crazy easy to learn now. But, once again I'm making personal comparisons to the equipment I started with 33 years ago.

10-Jan-21
Many game seasons have been shortened, drawings limited with creep, and quota seasons developed. Not for deer, for many other species.

10-Jan-21
None due to the crossbow, but it will be coming.

10-Jan-21
Cat, eliminating releases would also eliminate most current compounds. As they have gotten shorter through the years, the string angle is too severe to shoot with fingers

10-Jan-21
"Cat, eliminating releases would also eliminate most current compounds. As they have gotten shorter through the years, the string angle is too severe to shoot with fingers"

As does crossbows...

10-Jan-21
30-ish years ago, Randy Ulmer was quoted in a Bowhunting mag as saying that 35 yards was, in his opinion, the ethical upper limit for archery tackle. And back then, a lot of states still prohibited mechanical releases.

Two game-changers: Let-Off & Lasers. Get rid of those two, and 90% of the problems driven by the over-popularity of “archery’” seasons are history. But 90% of Compound shooters think that’s an Elitist thing to say....

An O/U crossbow.... what WILL they think of next????

10-Jan-21

GF's embedded Photo
GF's embedded Photo
Oh, wait. Here we go. A “muzzleloader” that requires an FFL.....

10-Jan-21
Didn't use to.

10-Jan-21
“ you already need a FFL in IL. for this”

Mebbeso, but I can tell you which one would be worth the hassle. Here in CT, I won’t even be buying ammo until I’ve legally qualified for a carry permit, so that’s on my to-do list...

The cool part is that my initial sight-in group for my .54 roundball GPR at 50m was better than the guy averaged in the article, and probably better than his best.....

And he was using a 9X scope at 50 yards.

10-Jan-21
Given the continued decline in hunter numbers in Ohio....according to license and tag sales....there’s exactly a 100% chance that crossbows are staying firmly in place here. If you go back many years you will see that Ohio has steadily added additional weapon options for hunters.

I don’t particularly like crossbows and the various aberrations they sport, like this double shot deal. But the precedent is set (here) and nobody is going to revise history. I’ll worry about other things. Maybe.

10-Jan-21
“ Given the continued decline in hunter numbers in Ohio....according to license and tag sales....”

We are having the same problem here in Connecticut, but the decline tracks very neatly with the legalization of cross bows. If you’re in a shotgun only state for public land, and you buy into an advertising claim of 100 yard accuracy with a crossbow, why the hell would you put into a lottery for the chance to hunt public land that is packed with hunters to the tune of one gun for every 20 acres, for a season that lasts a week or a week and a half (no Sundays) vs an “archery” season that comes with 4 tags and lasts for 3 1/2 months... AND you can hunt private land on Sundays if you have access to any??

I don’t think they have the guts to report the numbers, but I would be willing to bet that our Hunter numbers are not declining much, if at all… It’s just that nobody’s bothering with firearms anymore because they’ve made that into far too big of a hassle.

11-Jan-21
If a guy can’t hit a deer with his first shot out of one of these scoped contraptions..............how the hell is he gonna hit it with his second shot?! ;-)

11-Jan-21
Hog hunters are going to love this !

11-Jan-21
Fawn hunters will too, they often come in pairs.

11-Jan-21
Technology is a double-edged sword. Many don't bitch about it when it helps in everyday life or other aspects of hunting (e-bikes, game cameras, releases, lazer/optical sights, ozonics, plush box blinds, etc.). Technology and advancement is why we are here today in archery with these modern compounds and crossbows. If the latest and greatest doesn't sell, none of these contraptions would be here. Yes I understand many just don't want the crossbow to be included in the archery season and I get that. These weapons are here to stay and even what you are using now for a bow, will likely look archaic 20 years from now. As some of you have mentioned, there are much bigger things to worry about today. I try to think this way, whether you hunt with a recurve, long bow, compound, crossbow or gun, we are all hunters and should stick together. I'd rather have a cross-bow hunter or gun hunter in our ranks any day over an anti-hunter who wants to stop what we love to do.

11-Jan-21
I always marvel about all the crossbow hating going on.... I have a recurve, compound, and crossbow. Sometimes I wonder if crossbow haters have actually ever hunted with one. Trajectory comes into play even with a scope and 350ft/sec xbow. I know, they are even faster than that now if they don't blow up in your face first, but without proper range identification, a crossbow hunter will also miss their mark (especially when elevated). This is easily done as with any "bow". IMO, the difficulty level in killing a whitetail within 35 yards with a modern crossbow or compound is slight. The edge is obviously with the crossbow, but for a fit person capable of pulling #50+, the edge just isn't much. If you happen to actually have a shot beyond 35 yards the difficulty gap grows with the compound and decreases for the crossbow. Depending on your typically bow hunting scenario, those 35 yard shots seldom present themselves. But for all those who say anyone can make a great shot with a crossbow without any practice... Yeah my 12yo son got a compound for Christmas. He was proficient enough within literally minutes to kill a deer inside of 20yards. It just ain't that hard to make the shot. But, the learning curve for a crossbow is admittedly easier to some degree. As stated earlier.... range is the major factor. If you mess that up, good luck. Recurve & Traditional guys have more to brag about when it comes to the brass tax of making the kill shot. That takes much more skill, and practice for most. 2 bolts to me is pretty funny.... For many folks that's amounting to somewhere between $15-25 per double/shot whether you miss or not. I can see piles of destroyed 125gr broadheads and burning $20 bills in mind's eye. Hilarious... If you can make the shot with a crossbow, why in God's name would you need another, or two at once??? If the bolts shoot successively, I could see the benefit for taking two animals.

11-Jan-21

DL's Link
It only gets worse

11-Jan-21
Dang DL, that's crazy...

11-Jan-21
DL. That's silly. It only gets better

12-Jan-21
Yeah, but that guy is actually pretty funny.....

12-Jan-21
According to ' The Squad':

"Nobody needs an assault crossbow to kill a deer."

12-Jan-21
Wow that thing looks retarded. Who the hell would buy that?

12-Jan-21
Wow that thing looks retarded. Who the hell would buy that?

12-Jan-21
Some replies here have the mantra about us the hunter vs the anti as a justification for anything goes technology mind set. Well most of us have probably lost more hunting do to the anti-hunter- hunter and his or her high tech than we have to any anti hunter. There an issue for sure the anti's, but not on the immediate level that has happened with the changing demographics of land ownership by the anti hunter- hunter.Thats the truth no way to sweet talk around it.

I'm not saying it's wrong it's just the way the mop flops anymore in hunting. Its bleak but future for those starting out or wanting to try hunting, unless they come from landowning family or have deep pocket books the increase in hunting technology will continue to cause the decrease in hunting opportunities for many, think about it.

13-Jan-21

JL's Link
Same German guy as above but this one is cooler IMO. This looks like a movie prop or something the SOG's would use. Neat concept though.

WRT the double barreled crossbow......if it takes me two arrows or two bolts at once to do the deed....I'm in the wrong sport.

13-Jan-21
Listen to SteveD, he understands.

13-Jan-21
Now we can have deer running around with two arrows in them .

• Sitka Gear