Ambush 09-Jan-21
Beav 09-Jan-21
Inshart 09-Jan-21
Inshart 09-Jan-21
t-roy 10-Jan-21
Ambush 10-Jan-21
paul@thefort 15-Jan-21
07-Jan-21
Did I miss Ambush's annual late season mule deer thread? I don't seem to remember seeing it this year. That was one of the many annual stories that I looked forward to following with all the different deer interactions and rotating of "players" showing up in front of the blind.

07-Jan-21
I'm with you...love his thread.

07-Jan-21
Hopefully it is just delayed...not cancelled.

07-Jan-21
Always a favorite!

07-Jan-21
I always look forward to his annual post.

09-Jan-21

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Short heavy blood trail in the snow.
Ambush's embedded Photo
Short heavy blood trail in the snow.
Hey guys, thanks for the generous comments!

I did get to spend most of November in my blind. Absolutely tons of young bucks, but for some reason the mature bucks were not around. My best buck was a clean heavy 4X4 that I couldn't shoot because he has so much potential. There is a big main frame 3X3 that was saved by APR's. Actually, he's the super aggressive buck that last year had a couple of extra butt holes ripped. He was being true to his personality this year too. I had lots of fun and entertainment. At one point I had five young bucks all circling and posturing like boys out behind the school to settle a dispute. lots of talk but not much action.

With a couple days left I promised my hunting partner I shoot the first legal deer 2 1/2 years old or more to get some pepperoni meat. One of the crab clawed 4X4's made an appearance and paid the price. There was an ugly 3X4 that I'd rather have shoot, but a promise is a promise.

PS:. It is SO frick'en irritating that you can only fix rotation on the first pic in a post. Sorry about the sideways blood trail.

09-Jan-21
Way to go Rod!

09-Jan-21
Looks like you hit some major plumbing in that last pic. Congrats again, Rod!

09-Jan-21
Congrats! Looks a little cold there.

09-Jan-21
WTG, Rod!

09-Jan-21
Congrats looks like you got some snow.

09-Jan-21
Congrats

09-Jan-21

Ambush's embedded Photo
This guy will be a cranker in two years! Lots of pics show his potential,
Ambush's embedded Photo
This guy will be a cranker in two years! Lots of pics show his potential,
Ambush's embedded Photo
Young fellow with good genes.
Ambush's embedded Photo
Young fellow with good genes.
Ambush's embedded Photo
Double Beam. Too bad he didn't back up foot.
Ambush's embedded Photo
Double Beam. Too bad he didn't back up foot.

09-Jan-21

Ambush's embedded Photo
From the back. Only two pics of him, then gone.
Ambush's embedded Photo
From the back. Only two pics of him, then gone.
Ambush's embedded Photo
This Fat B can die anytime and his whole family too!!
Ambush's embedded Photo
This Fat B can die anytime and his whole family too!!
Ambush's embedded Photo
APR saved his ugly butt this year. But he'll grow some stickers and will be high on the list next November! I have his granddad on my wall.
Ambush's embedded Photo
APR saved his ugly butt this year. But he'll grow some stickers and will be high on the list next November! I have his granddad on my wall.

09-Jan-21
Well done Ambush! Sounds like another great season for you.

09-Jan-21

Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo

09-Jan-21

Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo

10-Jan-21
What exactly are your APR, Rod? If that buck’s frame remains the same, but he puts on a sticker point or two, does he then become a legal buck?

10-Jan-21
In November in my region, mule deer must have at least four points on one side, excluding the brow tine. Lots of mule deer here don't grow much for brows over an inch. But if he has a legal brow and four points above that, he becomes legal. Four up top and no brow is also legal. This particular buck did have a couple of small stickers, but too close to call. I could have shot him in September and October. But guaranteed he'll grow a few for next year. Very prevalent gene in this immediate area. They also seem to have inherited a very aggressive behavior, which of course contributes to spreading the genes even more.

15-Jan-21
Rod, you have to love it when you only have to follow the red to the deer. Nicely done. Paul

• Sitka Gear