trublucolo 09-Jan-21
Dale06 09-Jan-21
LKH 09-Jan-21
Ron Niziolek 09-Jan-21
Ron Niziolek 09-Jan-21
Ron Niziolek 09-Jan-21
Ron Niziolek 09-Jan-21
07-Jan-21
I submitted a post on a thread about solo hunting in Grizzly country thread , which I found when I came to this site to post this thread. The deal is that I found a water hole this last year that shows great promise for getting an elk withing the first couple days of hunting it. I is also a spot that shows great promise of shooting a bear in the first couple days of sitting it. The bad news is that it also shows that it is a great hangout for a very nice sized grizzly that seems to visit the site very regularly. I haven't normally carried a sidearm in the past and have even got complacent in carrying my bear spray. I usually hunt solo and after seeing pictures of this bear on a wallow below my stand I am wondering what things I can do to deter bears of all kinds from coming into the area while I am cutting quarters off the carcass. I put a getto blaster in the car last year just in case thinking if I had the radio blaring after the kill maybe it would spook bears but I have also seen the curious side of bears and wonder if it would attract them. I was very hesitant on hunting that stand after I saw a picture of that grizz and the frequency it was visiting the wallow.

So, is there any other ideas that you all might be able to give on keeping bears (of all types) at bay while quartering an elk, ....alone. I am not the quickest at quartering an elk alone because I tend to try and keep the meat pristine, but my plan last year was to quarter, hide on just to get the thing apart fast and moved quickly.

I was thinking of having a chainsaw winch in the car to grab and pull the whole carcass a couple hundred yards from the wallow before even starting the cutting but that would leave a blood trail from the wallow to me.

07-Jan-21
Your smartest move would be to have a friend who could come help when you’re getting your elk worked to stand guard.

I’d recommend also having a cordless sawsall with a long wood blade for dismemberment of the elk.

07-Jan-21

flybyjohn's embedded Photo
Here is the bear I'm worried about.

07-Jan-21

Me at 11:22 am Black bear at 12:04 pm same day

I don't think they care if I am there or not.

07-Jan-21
If you lung shoot him he should run about 80 or 100 yds from the water. Especially with an over the top 1.5" mechanical that thumps a bit when the blades open. Good luck and carry a gun and pack the meat aways away from the remaining carcass ASAP. Go gutless method taking off qtrs, back straps, neck, ribs and finally tender loins (and heart liver if you want as the last load. This will minimize carcass odor vs having a gut pile by the carcass first thing. But it will still smell!

07-Jan-21
What would be the best option for bear deterrent if a friend stood guard. Home defense 12 gauge with slugs or a 44 magnum. And is a radio to simulate people a viable option

07-Jan-21
Nice looking bear. I would be sure to have a rubber blunt in the stand in case I see it ;)

Whatever your friend is most comfortable with is what I would use as a deterrent.

07-Jan-21
flyby, since the grizzly doesn't seem to care if you're there or not, there aren't that many options I can think of. Bears where I hunt act similar without much fear of man.

You can sure try the radio thing or your chainsaw winch. I guess if it were me, I'd sure try to get reinforcements there. If you're keeping your spot a secret, then gutless method and haul the quarters away. It looks thick there like some of the places I hunt, so the return trips will potentially be a challenge.

Hunt it. There's no way I'd not hunt a particular place because of a bear. Just remain as vigilant as possible. I shot a bull once in open country with a griz a hundred yards away. He died on a brushy hillside and there was no way I was breaking him down myself with that bear in the tiny basinf. Within four hours I had friends on the scene. Elk meat was just fine. Just remain as vigilant as possible.

Good luck and lets see pics of your bull this fall. Ron

07-Jan-21
Pretty Bear! If you’re carrying a pistol go with a 10mm or 45 auto. Revolvers only have a few shots.

Worry more about just running into the Bear than it taking your harvest. It sounds like you need to have your stand over that water source.

07-Jan-21
Given the choice for just standing guard? I’d opt for the 12g and have a sidearm like a 44 mag

07-Jan-21
Your idea of quartering with hide on is solid. If you do so, don't put all the meat in one place and once you take the hide off, move it again.

You can take a quarter off in a couple minutes if you don't skin first. Consider taking a folding utility knife with extra blades for cutting the hide. I can go from the ears to the tail in less than a minute with one. Faster than any knife and the short blade keeps you from doing too much to the meat. Also allows a quick cut down the ribs and up the brisket. Only iffy part is the belly area.

08-Jan-21
I’m just interested to hear that you can kill elk black bears and grizzlies while being able to hear the music in your car. A car blind sounds safe. Maybe leave the motor running?

08-Jan-21
I can't imagine that many elk using it much with all the bears frequenting it.

08-Jan-21
Make a playlist of RAP on your phone , turn it on loud - they hate that crap lol

08-Jan-21
As far as a gun use a 12GA with buckshot a hell of a lot better than slugs, pistol nothing smaller than a 44 MAG, I shoot 45 long colt with hot reloads with XTP bullets ( Black Talon ). Forrest

08-Jan-21
Problem with big caliber pistols like a 500 S&W is that they are revolvers, unless they are titanium they weigh as much as a rifle or shotgun and you have maybe 7 rounds top.

A chest holster with a 10mm or .45 with 16 rounds is going to cover the 3 or more shots you missed with and you still have a bunch of powerful possible hits remaining.

08-Jan-21
Listen to Ron and pm him with other questions. He has the most experience with this.

09-Jan-21
If you're bringin' in an armed guard..... might not want to mention the help packing out part..... not up front anyway...

09-Jan-21
"If you're bringin' in an armed guard..... might not want to mention the help packing out part..... not up front anyway..."

I might also advise that telling him beforehand that in addition to helping pack the animal out, he's likely to be rearguard coming out in the dark, with a load of bloody meat on his back, serving as an anchor when he gets the urge to run..... is a nonstarter.

09-Jan-21
I’ve never been in a gun fight with a bear, but I think a revolver would be my choice. They don’t jam, and the fights likely to be long over before six shots have been fired, one way or another.

09-Jan-21
I'd suggest you pistol believers go look at the bouncing ball test where guys with pistol had to shoot at a ball coming down a hill. Remember its going about 1/3 the speed of a bear. Get some bear spray. At least then you'll hit close enough.

09-Jan-21
My buddy shot a griz two years ago the last hour of elk bow season. Hand was walking with his hand down at his waist when he saw and heard a cub. He drew and shot without aiming, just barely had brought his pistol up. Point and shoot. The sow was already at seven yards. It rocked her and she turned away. After, he told me he maybe could have gotten off two more shots before she was on him. That was with a Glock 10mm, not a revolver.

He's young with good reflexes. Neither of us does a lot of target practice. The practice we do is getting gun or spray out quickly. That's more important. I've had some charges take 20 seconds or longer. More often they happen much much faster. I had to drop my bow once while I was trotting through the timber to loop around some elk, There's no thinking, just reaction. It felt like my spray was coming up before my bow hit the ground. I've practiced enough now with my own Glock 10mm to be plenty confident getting it into action in a couple of seconds..

09-Jan-21

Ron Niziolek's Link
This young grizzly just wanted to check us out last spring.

09-Jan-21

Ron Niziolek's Link
Closer up video of him. In the previous video, zoom in and notice his severe underbite. It looks like he's smiling.

09-Jan-21

Ron Niziolek's Link
This one's from the elk hunting in the fall of 2019. ******* Language warning**************

• Sitka Gear