MA-PAdeerslayer 09-Jan-21
Scooby-doo 09-Jan-21
Scooby-doo 09-Jan-21
MA-PAdeerslayer 09-Jan-21
ryanrc 09-Jan-21
Scooby-doo 09-Jan-21
olebuck 12-Jan-21
08-Jan-21
Anyone familiar with or use a Cruzr XC saddle before?? Debating between that and the Tethrd Phantom...

08-Jan-21
First I have heard of Cruzr. I have a NewTribe and I have friends with Tethrd that love them. Tethrd has been around a while now and have a good reputation so I would lean that direction for nothing more than that reason alone. My $.02. TODDY

08-Jan-21
I've never been in a cruzr xc but I have played around in a phantom since a bunch of friends have them. I'd go with the cruzr if I were you. I've been saddle hunting a long time and have no bias, but tethrd saddle offerings just aren't as comfortable as some of the other offerings out there, currently. I've been hunting from an Aero hunter flex the last 2 seasons and its up there in comfort - better than the phantom. The cruzr is very similar in design to the flex from what I can tell.

I've also sat in the Tethrd eberhart and the latitude method. Both would give the flex a run for the money on comfort, but they each have some trade offs.

09-Jan-21
I was looking at the flex too. You find that comfortable saddle reaper?

09-Jan-21
To me it’s important to understand what makes a saddle comfortable and what doesn’t. Total disclaimer here. I’ve never set in a stretchy saddle model. But, this is my take on it.

Hard seated saddles are very comfortable to me. Because I slide them down pretty far on my butt when I get into the tree. It really takes all the pressure off the back of my thighs and creates an air ride seat experience. Plus it gives my privates plenty of room. I’m not scrunched up. And, it keeps my lower back from slumping.

My fear with a cushy seat it hip pinch. And, contortion of my lower spine. Creating pain after 4-5 hours. I don’t know that, as I’ve said I’ve never tried one. And, this is why.

By design, I have a big waist. Even when my body fat is in the low teens or single digits, my belt line measures 38 inches. So my fear is, any saddle design that doesn’t offer a ridged seat is likely going to create more hip pinch for me.

I contend I’m not the more normal proportion most are. So, this might not apply to you. I’m short and wide. And, if your waist is smaller, this might not apply to you. As they cuddling action may not affect you if the lineman’s loop wrap far enough around your belt line. It may not affect me either but, the hard phantom is so comfortable I’ll likely never know.

Just done food for thought. Good luck. I don’t think you can buy a bad saddle today. So, buy what you like. I think you’ll really enjoy what they offer.

09-Jan-21
I too and slightly shorter and wider than the average haha. Problem is I’m buying blind because no on I known has one I can check out.

09-Jan-21
The mantis is a very comfortable saddle. Which ever you buy, buy the kit. And, I use ropeman 1’s. That’s your choice to use. They’ve been rock solid for me. And while adjustment isn’t a huge thing you do once you get settled in. It is nice to be able to accomplish it so easily with one hand when yo do adjust.

Also, If the model you get isn’t for you, buying a new saddle is something much easier to do if you posses the linemans belt, tether, knee pads and accessories. Just sell the seat you don’t like the best.

Remember, Even the hard seat mantis would be comfortable if you fit it right. So, personally I’d start there. You can always buy another model later for a little more then a $100 if you want to stick with it.

Don’t confuse gut fat with what I’m saying. It’s irrelevant to saddle fit. And doesn’t affect the seats comfort.

09-Jan-21
Nope not much gut fat here. Just big boned haha! Ya I’m thinking that. Only reason I didn’t care for mantis was I’d need a new bridge to make it an adjustable bridge.

09-Jan-21
WV - what are you calling a hard seated saddle? I'm confused when you mention the phantom as being hard....

Currently we (consumers) have mesh and "solid" panel design offerings. Each has a different web structure, but most follow the perimeter with the webbing. There are a variety of webbing widths currently being used across the various companies offerings. This detail is important with regards to saddle rigidity, weight distribution, and perceived pressure points.

Then there are saddles like like the JX3 or guidos web. I've been in a Guidos but not a JX3. Those designs I would consider to be more of a chair or what you're calling "hard". They are unmatched for comfort, no question, but have the disadvantage of bulk and complexity over mesh or solid panel saddle designs.

The Tethrd ESS is Just wide webbing arraigned in a split "panel" design. The Latitude Method has split mesh panels. Both allow weight to be distributed above and below the hips. To me the ESS was a little bit of a pain to not get tangled up initially, but speaks to me as being the most minimalist - yet supportive option. The Method was a little cleaner functionally in my opinion, and supper comfortable and supportive. Plus the pressure/ force vectoring of biasing the bridge, made possible by the prussics at each connection side, makes it more versatile than the ESS. The ESS balances the forces because the webbing free flows through those oversized rings. Of the 2 I'd pick the Method every time.

As for the flex. Its heavier than anything tethrd makes which doesn't bother me. I've never had a problem with 2 extra pounds attached to my body (insert eye roll to the ounce counters). Tethrd is so hell-bent on being minimalist they launched a saddle to end all saddles that still missed the mark on comfort. The Mantis was terrible. I owned one, hunted from one, and promptly sold it. The phantom was a step in the right direction, but still lacks in size for support... I mean really, a one size fits all approach? The fanboys will argue up and down on this one but they are simply wrong.

The flex has 2 rows of molle webbing which helps to secure pouches from being floppy. It also has a wider webbing around the perimeter if I'm not mistaken. The mantis sucked in this regard... soft narrow webbing cuts in bad. The flex does have some unnecessary buckles for legs. I'd prefer the tethrd j hooks for leg loops. I don't much care for using amsteel as a bridge. I sort of like the friction that the webbing bridge of the flex offers (especially after hunting from trophy lines for 11 years). Bridge design and material is largely preference though... well I guess all of this is. The flex pleat is a gimmick. It always stays open after a few uses. But what it does provide as a benefit, is more material for overall support, allowing you to run the saddle below your buttocks and up to your waistline - of course this will partially depend on your build. I cannot speak to the sizing of the Flex - whether or not they actually increase the panels in size laterally and vertically between size 1 & 2.

The good news is that if you're buying blind and you don't like it, saddle stuff can be resold at nearly original value if its in like new condition. Just join saddlehunter forum classifieds or the fb page classifieds. I'm 155lbs with a 31" waist. Size 1 works great for me.

09-Jan-21
DO NOT BUY A MANTIS.

Seriously its not even on the same planet in terms of comfort to ANY of the other models I just talked about.

If you're considering a Tethrd I'd take a good look at the Menace or Phantom. You'd probably be happy with either. The Menace is more attractive from what I'm seeing in terms of design/ construction, but I haven't had a chance to try one yet.

09-Jan-21
If I said phantom, I meant mantis. Meaning the seat isn’t spongy. In my conversation with the OP, I thought I was clear on that. If not I apologize to anyone it confused.

Different strokes for different folks. I am totally pleased with the comfort of the mantis. And, there are tons of options as you’ve pointed out.

Good luck to all who are trying this. It’s like hammock sleeping in cold weather. If you give saddle hunting an honest go, it works great. If not, you likely won’t be impressed.

09-Jan-21
WV the mesh shouldn't be spongy, but it definitely feels supple vs a solid panel design. Have you had a chance to try any of the other models out there?

Fair statement. Different strokes for different folk for sure. My strong opposition to the Mantis comes from what I've experienced and seen out there. There's a reason Mantis's often come up for sale... I'd rather save someone the hassle of finding out its not the best option - genuinely. The other Tethrd offerings are fantastic in comparison.

09-Jan-21
I’ll say it again. No, I haven’t tried the spongy ones. I tried to order an aero hunter a while back but, let’s just say we left on applicable terms on that attempt.

I’ve tried a modified rock climbing harness and true swing type homemade one. But, I have yet to try a spongy one. When I say spongy, I’m referring to seat being cushy. Maybe it’s my lack of experience with them that makes me feel the way I do. I just can’t see them being more comfortable.

I totally understand your intent and appreciate it. It’s what makes Bowsite a great place. I can guarantee someone on here has the experience we all need when trying new or different things.

FWIW, I was typing my last reply when you were typing yours. So, my recommendation wasn’t in opposition to hours. It was just my experience.

Take care and God Bless all.

09-Jan-21
I’m between the Cruzr and phantom. Thinking Cruzr due to larger “saddle” for comfort and the different sizes. On size fits all kinda scares me for comfortability and adjustability

09-Jan-21
I haven't sat in a phantom, but have about half a season in the Cruzr XC. Very comfortable once you figure out tether height, bridge length, etc. Took me about a week of hunting in it to find where I like it.

That is coming straight from stands. Never sat in a saddle before this year. If you have saddle experience, that learning curve may be much shorter.

Regardless, the xc is very nice. You won't regret it. And, if you do, saddles hold their value amazingly right now. Can pretty much get your money back out of it.

09-Jan-21
I thought the Phantom was very comfortable. But I thought my home made Sit Drag was comfortable, too.

09-Jan-21
Never hunted from a saddle Mo/Ark. if I get the Cruzr I’m actually getting an adjustable bridge for that reason! And will be using ropemans on my teather and linesman

09-Jan-21
No comparison I have a Mantis and I tried a Phantom and 3 days ago my bud recieved his Cruzr XC, I tried it out for 20 minutes and went in and ordered one. His was 255 with the adj. bridge, I ordered the back rest with mine so $285, way more comfortable than the Predator and it just felt better wearing it as I could ciinch everything tight. My Mantis is up for sale now! Shawn

09-Jan-21
I will say the mantis is not terrible but it took a lot to get comfortable. A lot of fidget factor!! Shawn

09-Jan-21
That’s awesome to hear Shawn. I know everyone’s different but I think I’m sold on the Cruzr. Gonna be ordering it.

09-Jan-21
Which is better, the method saddle or cruzr? It looks like you wouldn't need the back band with the cruzr.

09-Jan-21
I believe the method would be less likely to need the back band as it is a two piece. I have only been in 4 saddles, the Flex, the Phantom, the Mantis and the Cruzr XC. To me the Cruzr was by far the most comfortable. I would think the method would be darn close but again never handled one. I am not one that needs to go nuts on the super lite craze. I mean 3 or 4 pounds is not gonna break me when walking even several miles as long my stuff packs easy and keeps a low profile!! I saddle hunted several times 20 years ago and actually hated it. Today with all the new innovations its become my favorite way to set up. I am running a set of Shikar sticks this coming season as well. They will be here weds. Shawn

12-Jan-21
i have a cruzer. i believe they are the best saddle on the market. the build quality and workmanship is exceptional.... they are made right here in the USA with quality components.

• Sitka Gear