JL 09-Jan-21
jfish 09-Jan-21
JL 09-Jan-21
longbeard 11-Jan-21
Bret c. 11-Jan-21
JL 11-Jan-21
jfish 12-Jan-21
09-Jan-21
Looks like Moultrie is coming out with a new “Delta” cell cam. Not sure when it will be available but if the description offered holds true it’s going to be one to watch. Based intel they offer regarding features it sounds like they are aware of the primary issues their previous models. Stronger antenna/reception design and image improvement. Problems for most every camera out there for sure but maybe they are on to something? Let’s hope it holds true.

09-Jan-21
Not to start a sh*t storm, but I truly believe eventually all cell cams will not be allowed at least during the season throughout the United States. I believe NH (I live in MA) may already have a rule you can’t hunt the same day you get cell pictures at that particular location. Not 100% on the wording of the law tho.

09-Jan-21
Interesting discussion? Some would say it’s “cheating” I can understand that view but then many think the same about xbows, baiting, etc.... However if what has controlled the choices for most states holds true I’m betting the power of marketing/lobby’s $$$ will prevail. I truly wish $$ didn’t have as much control over the decisions states make regarding wildlife mgt but it sure seems, at least in Va , $$ rules..

09-Jan-21
This could be an interesting topic. Is banning cell cams at any time a hunting thing or another example of govt intrusion and over-reach? I personally do not see a need to ban cell cams at anytime. This is coming from a guy who does not have one. I suspect any discussion of banning cell cams during hunting season is facilitated/supported by hunting purists who want others to hunt the way they do.

(I was just researching the Gab.com website so my govt intrusion and left-wing censorship mindset is active.)

09-Jan-21
Yes it could be considered cheating but you still need to make an ethical kill. This last fall after our 9 day gun season it took about a week and 4 does showed up to the same water hole for a week straight and within minutes every day. I said well here is my chance to put more meat in the freezer. At 430 I stood up because they were there always at 440 well here they come single file across the field to the pond and I reach to get the bow and too many eyes and I got busted. So yes it definitely helps but still a lot of variables form something to go wrong.

09-Jan-21

JL's Link
Here is a link discussing this new Moultrie cell cam

09-Jan-21
JL thanks for the link... waiting to see one in hand for sure.. Boone.. No question just because you see them on cam doesn’t always equal success. We saturate a small farm annually with cams prior to hunting it each yr. Every year we get an inventory of what we “think” is there before the annual one week hunt. Every year we have pics of bucks that are never seen while hunting (understood could be we just suck?). Or, a new trophy buck is seen while hunting that has avoided all cams the months leading up to the hunt. Kinda a double edge sword actually? It has revealed target animals that we hold out all week long for, ultimately resulting in folks going home empty handed. This does not mean we had a bad week or bad hunt, far from it at least in our view. But it does make us pass on animals that we normally would be happy with, always thinking that one trophy is next. The other reality we have faced is after a month+ soak and no evidence of a good buck visiting it makes it tough to commit to a hunt in that location. However , this past season I did try a “Hell Mary” and hunted a spot that had pitiful cam results and don’t you know it a buck life time came it. Go figure!

09-Jan-21
I wonder how many batteries it takes??

11-Jan-21
I agree if it lives up to its marketing bullet points it could be awesome, especially at that price point. By all accounts , the Tactacam Reveal is a great camera, but what puts it over the top is its retail price

11-Jan-21
I've also heard about the banning of game cams, on not being fair. What's the difference between game cams and fish locators? They even get to use them in bass tournaments!

11-Jan-21
^...darn good point!

12-Jan-21
Bret. Good comparison!

• Sitka Gear