Paul@thefort 30-Mar-22
maxracx 30-Mar-22
Paul@thefort 02-Dec-22
10-Jan-21

paul@thefort's embedded Photo
THE YEAR 1840, SOUTH EAST ARIZONA, APACHE COUNTRY

CHAPTER ONE:

The young Apache hunter named Steps Between Stones, who had seen sixteen cycles of the 12 moon months, sunk low in his hiding place. The day was very hot so he only had on his breechcloth/leggings and moccasins; his dark skin and black long hair blended in well with the surrounding brown sand, gray rocks and sticker brush and a few green cactus plants. It had been so dry in the region he was lucky to find this water seep high up in the rocky hills, and around it were a few small deer prints in the sand. He had greased his upper body with animal fat to cut the human smell. His mother had made him a mask made from a deer's head but it was too hot to wear this day. He kept low as the sun was setting and at long last a cool shadow was being cast across the seep and his hiding spot.

He doubted he would hear these small deer coming to water as they were fine in structure, gray in color, silent on the hoof, and as he was told, came and went like the smoke of a dying camp fire or like a Gray Ghost that might be here one second and then gone the next.

His left hand held his favorite bow made of Mesquite wood and strung with deer back sinew. His father had given him this bow along with a quiver of chert stone point arrows with black Raven feathers. He had tried to make his own stone points but just needed more time to acquire the skill. His uncle was the stone point master and also made a few Obsidian blade knives. Scars on Steps Between Stone's fingers were a testimony to this as he tried to see if the knife was sharp enough. He wore this very special knife on his belt as he just knew it would bring him luck this day.

It was becoming darker and cooler and as he raised his head over the rocks, he saw movement ahead and approaching the small ring of water just a few strides ahead, a gray deer approached with caution, head up smelling the wind for danger. The young hunter froze as the deer approached and when the deer's head was at the water, he slowly pulled back on the bow and released the arrow. The Great Spirit guided the arrow into the deer's heart and while a fatal hit, the deer turned and bounded out of sight.

Before it became too dark the hunter followed the blood and found the deer in the hollow of a close by ravine. Kneeling down and placing his hand on the still warm hide, he stated, " thank you for giving up your life so as to nourish mine." He then looked to the heavens and stated, " Oh Great Spirit, thank you for all of your creations".

He then took out the very special obsidian knife and cut away only what could not be used. Tying all the deer legs together he placed the deer over his shoulders and headed back to camp being careful not to step on the many stones but only "between" them as not to stumble or fall. He felt a special pride as a young hunter, but knew shortly, he would become a true warrior of the tribe. History and things were changing fast as was the future of this Apache tribe. At least tonight there would be song and full stomachs and many phrases to the Great Spirit. Oh yes, and phrase to that special knife that had brought him luck.

10-Jan-21
Keep it coming Paul!

10-Jan-21
Thank you for sharing. Every animal I kill I say about the same prayer. Forrest

10-Jan-21
Nice

10-Jan-21
Great start!

10-Jan-21
Pretty excited to jump forward 181 years

10-Jan-21
Paul,

If you went and got a Coues with a self bow and a chert head, I will do a back flip!

Even a modern hot rod laminated recurve would be over the top!

Heck I’d would be ecstatic even if it was with your compound!

Thought you were going after big ‘ol desert carp deer (muleys) this go around....

10-Jan-21
Nicely written Paul. You had me sitting right there with the hunter.

10-Jan-21
Let’s hear more Paul!

10-Jan-21
Good luck Paul, can't wait for "the rest of the story"

10-Jan-21
K-114, Chapter Two. The year 2021 SE Arizona

A thousand mile to the north an elder bow hunter prepared to head south to hunt deer in Arizona. The January season for deer was for bow hunters only and this time the hunter would seek the Desert Mule Deer as his target as he had killed six Coues deer in the previous years and sought to change to a different species for a new challenge. He was excited for the opportunity and had with him a few spots to hunt provide by fellow hunters; spots where they had seen mule deer. He also realized that Arizona had been going through a drought period and the lack of moisture to fill streams and dug-outs that would hold deer in the area, might hamper his efforts.

Leaving five days before the season start on January 1, he left Colorado for the drive south and arrived in the area within a day and a half. Yes, it had been dry all right and all of the washes were dry and most showed ATV and side by side tracks left by recreationalists and even Border Patrol looking for illegals. He check out a few water tanks but no water in them and found no deer tracks or other signs. After talking to a few local bow hunters, that had good insight of the areas, that it had been very bad the past seasons , the decision was made on day 5 to change locations and deer species. The deer species was again the Gray Ghost, AKA Coues . He headed farther east.

10-Jan-21

Very dry
Very dry
Dry can be good if there is water around but lack of water not only limited the deer but concentrated the hunters to private land who had a few cattle tanks.
Dry can be good if there is water around but lack of water not only limited the deer but concentrated the hunters to private land who had a few cattle tanks.

10-Jan-21
Come on Paul your teasing us!

10-Jan-21

the Gray Ghost
the Gray Ghost
The elder hunter from Colorado, who now goes by the name "Steps Between Stones", headed farther east to the higher hills where the Coues deer live with more tree cover and moisture. He would travel more quickly than the native Americans that lived and hunted the areas over a hundred years ago. His equipment was different but the modern bow still shot arrows but of a different kind. Skill and patience and knowing the habits of the game was important, so that does not change at all.

10-Jan-21

What made this Arizona Deer hunt special was that the Colorado hunter, Steps Between Stones, AKA, Paul@thefort would be carrying a very special knife, K-114, a knife that had traveled far and wide with fellow bow hunters, a knife that represented all that is good in a person and all that is good and loving within a family, the Kelly Harris family. And like the Native American Indians, family is the core and a reason to live and to provide for.

10-Jan-21

I arrived at the new location on December 31, a day before the deer opener and set up camp. I had hunted this area two times previous and had been successful both times but I was surprised by the larger number of bow hunters that already set up camps in the area, many of the same hunters I had seen before, two years ago.

11-Jan-21
Paul, Thank you for your kind kind words in memory of Kelly, and the family. The best of luck with your hunt. Be safe.

Don Harris

11-Jan-21
During the next five days I scouted/hunted known areas but without success, only saw two spike bucks of which I grunt call one in and the other with antler rattling at 1 pm from a ground blind. On the afternoon of day 5, as I was riding my mountain bike up the road after my morning hunt, I met hunter Joe in his truck, and he stated he had just killed a Coues buck an hour before and was heading back to camp for help to bring it out. I told Joe I was available to help and just needed to back- track to camp for my back pack. He agreed. An hour later we were standing over his 2x3 buck, and within the next hour had it ready to pack out. He was thankful for the help as he needed to head for home that evening. I was also thankful as I found a new area I had not been in before so the following afternoon I head up the same trail but stopped short to check out a small water seep running into a dry rock filled stream bed half way to where Joe had his action. Looked like a good place for a late afternoon set as I looked around for a good hiding place and found one behind three close together, tall pine tree trunks twenty yards away from the seep. I cleared away all of the dry leaves and just left the pine nettles to kneel on. The cool breeze was coming down hill and to my advantage. Some times I knelt and most often stood and looked in all directions as I did not know from which a deer might approach. The seep and dry creek bottom was to my right and to my left thirty yards away was a higher bank that led away into an oak tree flat. I gave this flat a lot of attention and at five o'clock a doe was seen but traveling away. ( Now I had left the K-114 knife in its carrying case for the past five day, and in my truck for safe keeping but on this very afternoon, I took it out and placed it in my back pack and yes for good luck.) Luck is good! Fifteen minutes more of legal shooting time when I see movement along the low bank to the flat. A buck and he was sort coming my way but then he hit a trail heading right for me, came down a short drop off from the flat at thirty yards and closing. His body disappeared behind a large pine tree trunk. I was at full draw when he popped out at 9 yards quartering to me, the Great Spirit guided my arrow into his body and then out. I saw sparks as the broad head hit a rock behind him. The buck reversed his travel back onto the flat and laid down 50 yards away. He tried to get up but could not, his head was up and down a few times as I watched him with my binocular for the next fifteen minutes until dark. I backed out and headed to the truck and then to camp with confidence I would find him there in the morning.

11-Jan-21

early the next morning found me hiking back to the area to hopefully recovery the deer.
early the next morning found me hiking back to the area to hopefully recovery the deer.
just a little farther, fingers crossed. K-114 in back pack for luck
just a little farther, fingers crossed. K-114 in back pack for luck
as luck would have it I found the buck where he was last seen the night before.
as luck would have it I found the buck where he was last seen the night before.
K-114, the memories for sure and best of all a great tribute to Kelly and all he contributed.
K-114, the memories for sure and best of all a great tribute to Kelly and all he contributed.

11-Jan-21

Hero picture
Hero picture
loaded up and packing out to the truck
loaded up and packing out to the truck
across the flat, then to the dry stream bed and then trail to truck. only half a deer in back pack, will return for the rest.
across the flat, then to the dry stream bed and then trail to truck. only half a deer in back pack, will return for the rest.
a buck rub where the deer turned off the bank and head right to me for a close shot. There was another rub where I stood for the shot.
a buck rub where the deer turned off the bank and head right to me for a close shot. There was another rub where I stood for the shot.

11-Jan-21
Congrats! Great story and another adventure for the K-114 knife. Safe travels home. Sandbrew

11-Jan-21

11-Jan-21

Need I say more?
Need I say more?
so there you have it, another adventure with a very special knife, K-114 and all of the memories that go with it. I was able to get back to camp, write down in the diary, the story I have just told (added a finger tip of deer blood on the page), packed up the knife, then took it to the local post office to ship it off to its next destination.

Nothing has changed much in the last 100 years because bow hunters just love to bow hunt, like the young Apache hunter named "Steps Between Stones". If you have ever hunted the very rocky land scape of Arizona, you will know the meaning of, why his name.

My very best, Paul@thefort, AKA, Steps Between Stones.

11-Jan-21
Well done my friend! Awesome report!

11-Jan-21
Another great tale! Thanks Paul!

11-Jan-21
Great job Paul ! Another great story as usual !

11-Jan-21
Very nice ! Congrats Paul

11-Jan-21
Great story and pictures. Congrats!

11-Jan-21
Outstanding "again" Paul. Always enjoy your additions to BS.

11-Jan-21
great job Paul! I enjoy your story telling and pictures very much.

11-Jan-21
Very cool. Congrats and thanks for bringing us along.

11-Jan-21
Cool man. Congrats on the nice buck and story. Thanks for sharing. Percy

11-Jan-21
Great write-up Paul and congrats on the beautiful Coues.

11-Jan-21
Wow Paul! Congrats on a beautiful buck and really enjoyed the recap.

11-Jan-21
Nice work Paul, thanks for the great storytelling!

11-Jan-21
Congratulations Paul, great story and buck! You are a continuing inspiration to me and many others!

11-Jan-21
Congrats!!! Thanks for sharing a great story.

11-Jan-21
Congrats! With super dry conditions, it’s definitely a tough year here in Arizona. Way to get it done!

11-Jan-21
Nice job!

11-Jan-21
Great read, as usual, SBS!! Thanks for bringing us along with you!

11-Jan-21
Being a native Arizonan, well....this all gives me a feeling that's hard to describe. I'm extremely appreciative Paul. Beautiful deer. Excellent way to honor the blade and the memory of a man.

11-Jan-21
Excellent results. Congrats.

Who’s your camera guy? Big shout out to the great photos.

11-Jan-21
Very nice, congratulations!!

11-Jan-21
Awesome man! Loved it!

11-Jan-21
Great story and congrats all the way around. Leaving for Arizona tomorrow morning. Chasing a different critter but I'll remember to step between the rocks.

11-Jan-21
Awesome, thanks for taking us along . Forrest

11-Jan-21
Great story Paul.having lived in Az.all of my life,I'm 69,I'm impressed with your ambition.I live on a cattle ranch in Peeples Valley that dates back to 1920 with my family.We are in a horrible drought,as you said.I am headed to Ft. Huchucai in 2 days to hunt deer with my xbow.Again congrats to you ,Paul,I have been waiting for your story.

11-Jan-21
Well done, congratulations! Thanks for sharing

11-Jan-21
Congrats Paul. Great story!

11-Jan-21
Wonderful story, great writing. Congrats on the successes! Enjoyed it all!

11-Jan-21
Good stuff! Thanks for taking the time. Wonderful tribute to a Legend...

11-Jan-21
Thanks for taking us along Paul... good stuff. Congratulations, dandy buck.

11-Jan-21
Thanks for the great Monday morning story .. Here to 2021.. Hunt

11-Jan-21
Congratulations

11-Jan-21
Congrats Paul. That’s a great buck! Thanks for taking us along.

11-Jan-21
Thanks Paul. Nice buck!

11-Jan-21
Congratulations on another successful hunt! Your walking stick looks just like mine.

11-Jan-21
Congrats Paul! Nicely done!

11-Jan-21
Paul, you are amazing!

The Spirits of Kelly, and the Apache, were surely smiling down on you!

11-Jan-21
Paul, did you find any imported contraband this year?...….. haha, I hope not.

11-Jan-21
Great stuff Paul, thanks for taking us along! Congrats on the buck!

11-Jan-21

Grilled Coues buck tenderloins, seasoned and with bacon rap. baked potato, salad and red wine to wash it all down.
Grilled Coues buck tenderloins, seasoned and with bacon rap. baked potato, salad and red wine to wash it all down.
What a great meal of wild game. I have eaten a lot of WT deer but these small Coues deer are the best eaters.
What a great meal of wild game. I have eaten a lot of WT deer but these small Coues deer are the best eaters.

11-Jan-21
Great job again Paul! Thanks for the write up and that sure looks like a fine meal!

11-Jan-21
Love it Paul, thanks for sharing!

11-Jan-21
Wow way to go. Your awesome

11-Jan-21
Very cool. Congrats.

12-Jan-21
Paul- great story . Always a good read! Congrats on a super deer.

12-Jan-21
Very cool Paul. Nice write up and congrats on another harvest. Enjoy!

12-Jan-21
Congrats Paul! You never cease to amaze me. I'm not even amazed that I'm amazed anymore. Many years of honing your skills is definitely a large part, but you also have some inherent ability to put yourself in an animals path where a happy-for-you collision occurs.

I think any hunter should aspire to be stepping between the stones in your footsteps.

12-Jan-21

Since I am still in the deer hunting "Zone" I completed an Euro skull of the Coues buck last night and then measured for gross PY measurements. Yes prior to the 60 drying period but wanted to see if it might make the minimal score of 70. I came up with 74 3/8 so it might squeak in.

Thank you all for the nice comments about this hunt and story. As many of you know the history of the Kelly-114 knife, I wanted to do the knife and its memory justice. May my story and others past and future stories and hunts in memory, bring peace to the Harris family. my best, Paul

12-Jan-21
Thanks & congratulations....You are an inspiration to us youngsters!

12-Jan-21
Congratulations Paul, well done!

12-Jan-21
Congratulations Paul! Great buck! Awesome story;-)

12-Jan-21
Great job Paul!! Thank you for sharing!!!

12-Jan-21
Great buck and a great story, Paul. Way to do 114 proud!

13-Jan-21

I was asked what BH I had used. First I believe that any sharp fixed or mechanical BH would do if hit in the right place. I pull 60# and a 250 fps arrow speed. This buck was near 100# live weight, and only 18 to 20 inches wide. This buck was shot at 9 yards with a NAP Kill Zone COC mechanical. After the pass through shot, I saw sparks after the BH had hit a rock 10 yard behind the deer. At first I thought the BH was totally gone and the arrow shaft had also broken. The next morning after retrieving the deer I found the arrow and BH totally intact. The question might arise, would I use this BH again if I had the opportunity to re-sharpen the two blades and COC head? Answer: Not on a deer but possibility, on a turkey or goose. My best, Paul

13-Jan-21
Paul, are you sure that's an NAP Kill Zone? I think that's an original COC Rage? You can replace the blades (including the blade on the tip), if the body of the broadhead is not damaged.

13-Jan-21
YOu might be correct but it sure looks like a NAP. I see the blades can be exchanged. The blades are locked down with an Oring and not a collar like a Rage.

Also, Here is the meat cuts I got of this buck. figuring the max meat available was 25-30 pounds from a 90-100 deer.

1. both ribs sides, bone in = two meals

2. tenderloins 2 = one meal for 2 persons

3. back straps = six meals, 3 per side

4. two front shoulders = meat for at least 4 meals depending how used

5. one roast from rear ham

6. 4 strip stakes from rear ham

7. all remaining meat from hams and neck meat want to bugger== 6 one pound packages.

Total: 23 meals for two persons. Not bad for these small deer.

13-Jan-21

StickFlicker's embedded Photo
StickFlicker's embedded Photo
The original Rage did use an O-ring and not a collar like they do now. Here's a pic of the NAP Killzone. Note the slot the runs length-wise through the body of the broadhead. The Rage's body is solid one piece.

13-Jan-21
You are correct, ie the BH I used was a Rage. What will people think of me now? I might be banned from BS. :)

13-Jan-21
Paul used a RAGE broadhead... the horror, oh, the horror.

13-Jan-21
What bow are you shooting to get 450 fps arrow speed? I want one.

13-Jan-21
Dave, I was just checking if you were paying attention and you were. Yep, 250fps

13-Jan-21
Ambush said it perfectly. Amazed but, I really shouldnt be anymore as you are just that good.

13-Jan-21
Ken, I appreciate the kind words. I love to hunt and work hard at it and I pay attention to what the animals teach me. I am also an observer. I hope you and your family have the best New Years ever. my best, Paul

14-Jan-21
Paul.....Congrats!

I still use those old Rages along with the Chi-Rages. If you want to get rid of them and the practice heads, shoot me a PM. John

14-Jan-21
Thanks John. I only have a few and might as well hold on to them for the next Coues hunt. I told Tricia that this was my last trip down to AZ to hunt deer. And just last night, she confirmed, " I never believed you would not go again"... Ok, might as well. Paul

14-Jan-21
Ok....figured I'd throw the offer out. I killed alot of critters with those.

15-Jan-21
Paul, congratulations on another nice Coues buck! Good stories! Kurt

18-Jan-21
Bring this story back to the top for those that might have missed it the first go around.

18-Jan-21
Love it, Paul! Congratulations and I hope I get to say that for many years to come!

18-Jan-21
Paul,

Congratulations on a great buck and thanks for taking K114 along!!!!

God Bless!

Scar

19-Jan-21
Bravo! Outstanding Paul!

20-Jan-21
A great story of a great hunt, and the K-114 knife made it all the more special. I’ve come to expect nothing less from you Paul, great job !

20-Jan-21
Congrats Paul - your adventures and recaps never disappoint.

15-Feb-21
I know Scar had the knife after me on a AZ youth hunt. How did that go?. Who is next in line for K-114? My best, Paul

15-Feb-21
Does Tric ever voice her desire to go with you on any of these hunts?

15-Feb-21
Bob, the trip to AZ has been special and i can go for the whole month if needed, but using just the pop up camper, being somewhat isolated, not knowing what the temps might be and for how long, Tricia understands the difficulty of her going along. Now if I had a 30 ft enclosed camper with a good heater, that might make a difference but she keeps herself very busy with things she likes at home and in the community. We have gone turkey and duck hunting locally together, but not long hunting trips like to Arizona.

16-Feb-21
One of your best stories yet Paul...Kelly would be proud! Thank You!

16-Feb-21
Ya done good again Paul!

Thanks for taking us along,

Congrats

Robb

16-Feb-21
Dang I miss this the first time around. Good stuff Paul.

30-Mar-22
K-114 revisited

30-Mar-22
Paul, congrats on your hunt. Thank you for bringing it to the top. If that knife could talk the stories it could tell..... I remember reading about a grizzly hunt T-Roy went on with this knife in his pack. Thank you.

02-Dec-22
Reaching back again and reliving. This is what memories are made of and this is what Bowsite.com is all about.

• Sitka Gear