Rupe 13-Jan-21
gobbler 13-Jan-21
Glidingindian 13-Jan-21
4nolz@work 13-Jan-21
glidingindian 13-Jan-21
12yards 15-Jan-21
nehunter 15-Jan-21
11-Jan-21
Have the option to hunt Iowa in 2021. Available dates oct 31-nov5 or nov 12-19. Cannot access Bowsite Search for old threads ( help me there too if you can) Looking for opinions on best dates. Full moon Oct 20

11-Jan-21
If you twisted my arm and made me choose I would go 12-19. If it's with an outfitter I would probably choose the 31-5 just to to feel better about not sitting in the same stands folks have already been sitting in for so long.

11-Jan-21
I prefer your first option myself, weather pending. On average, I seem to see better pre rut activity during that timeframe. Unseasonably warm temps can affect that activity somewhat. Do you have the option of making your decision last minute, or are you booking with an outfitter, have to put your vacation time down at work, etc?

To access previous threads on this subject, or other topics, google your subject, then type in “Bowsite” after it. That seems to be the best way to find what you’re looking for, for me anyway.

11-Jan-21
I would wait a year and book ahead to include 6-9 in my hunt or I wouldn’t go- it’s that good those days. 3+ year wait and an $830 or more deer tag- make the most of your time!!!!!! If it’s imperative you go next year - go the early season and hope like hell for a cold weather front

11-Jan-21
Been some outstanding bucks brought into my friend's taxidermy shop the last wk of Oct, this last season. When living in Iowa the bucks where on the roam during that time but it is your hunt and your choice, all is good.

11-Jan-21
Listen to T-Roy he lives in IA. I went last year and my dates were from 8-13 November. I shot a buck on the 8th my first morning hunting. It was warm but he was dogging a doe.

11-Jan-21
What T-roy and sheadhead said x 2.

I like the early dates better if the weather cooperates. You want cold and clear. Or at least I do.

11-Jan-21
12-19 the early Nov date is fun because you see so many little bucks nonstop but you risk crops in. The big boys play later.If I had 1 day to hunt in Zone 4 8t would be Nov 15th

11-Jan-21
I hunted November 1st to the 8th this last fall in zone 4. Weather was hot and then more hot. My dad and uncle stayed for another week so they were there the 1st to the 15th. This was a pop up camper on private land and they said it finally got cold and the deer really started to show themselves. When we go back in 3 years again we are picking the later date you have to choose from. The weather has a lot to do with it I'd say and well 2020 was a dumpster fire the weather is just weird. I live in western Wisconsin and they are talking it could get to 40 degrees this week.

11-Jan-21
Have the option to hunt Iowa in 2021. Available dates oct 31-nov5 or nov 12-19. Cannot access Bowsite Search for old threads ( help me there too if you can) Looking for opinions on best dates. Full moon Oct 20

11-Jan-21
My preferred dates are the 6th through the 13th.

If those are not an option then there are some factors. Is this private land? If this is private land how well do you know it? How much scouting can you do?

If your hunting public with little to no scouting I would take the later dates.

It is my opinion that the full moon doesn’t have as much impact during the rut as it does through out the year. On the other hand the 7 days before the full moon would start on Nov 13th.

11-Jan-21
I've never hunted IA in October. I always go the first full week of November or later as I come when the MN gun season is going on. I have had great hunts more in the middle of November. I've shot three bucks that I've mounted and they were on the 11th (2014), 13th (2020) and 16th (2010). Bottom line, go. But I'd probably listen to the guys that live there. Mine were all public land bucks, and to be honest, I think pressure was definitely less in the middle of November compared to early November. Don't know about October.

12-Jan-21
well, pretty much the info and opinions i expected. postives and negatives for either choice . hunting with an outfitter so need to let him know asap. I hunt kansas every year and prefer 8-14th for all the same reasons named here. had a great hunt in IA in 2015 Nov 9-14th. will have a couple beers tonight to improve my intellect and decide thanks guys!

12-Jan-21
I was in Iowa from Oct 26th to Nov 12th this past season. When I got there the bucks were laying down sign hir and heavy. Then it got warm real warm. The activity slowed way down. Early morning and late evening some movement but not much. Around Nov 5th the weather changed and it exploded. Killed a good buck on the 6th. He was the 4th shooter I saw that morning and it was only 715. On public also, If I had to choose it would be the second week like the 5th to the 12th of Nov. Your choices I would go with the later date and hope they are coming out of lockdown around the 15th. As Nolz said the big boys really start cruising again around than. Shawn

12-Jan-21
I would go the earlier dates.

-Best dates for calling something in if you see them out of range.

-If your outfitter has some good bucks scouted, they haven't quite left their core area yet but are moving/scraping more.

-Great time to hunt scrapes.

-More bucks available that haven't been killed, shot at, or wounded.

12-Jan-21
I would go from oct 29 through nov 30

That should get it done ????

12-Jan-21
I'm going to throw another much overlooked option at you. Try to go the week leading up to Thanksgiving, or even through Thanksgiving if it falls early next year. Bucks are not locked down and they're piling into the food to regain their strength after the rut. There is also some rut activity taking place. Best of all worlds.

12-Jan-21
Why not find a outfitter that can take you on the dates you want? Or if you really like a particular outfitter book one or the other with outfitter but ask him if there is a cancelation for the middle one you can move to it.

12-Jan-21
Got three guys going so cancellation option tougher. Outfitter allows you to return week before Thanksgiving for nominal fee if unsuccessful but I usually take my family to Kansas that week to hunt our farm. Suspect I will go early hunt then head to Kansas with my family earlier than usual. Can return to either Kansas or Iowa week prior to thanksgiving for a short hunt if needed. Agree with NJStyk that week can be great. Great advice all around guys !!

12-Jan-21
Also remember just cause you are going guided don't mean you can't hunt public a day or two if things are not promising. Iowa can be magical that time of year. Shawn

13-Jan-21
I live in Iowa as do T-Roy and Midwest. Without a doubt I’d pick the first option even if other dates were available. I’ve been fortunate enough to take my fair share of deer and the last week of October is magic. Midwest stated every good reason there is!

13-Jan-21
I own property and live in southeast Iowa. Go the earlier week! IMO, the pre rut is better for daylight movement than the week before Thanksgiving. Things slow down a lot during the post rut. I actually see more deer and bigger bucks during October than late November.

13-Jan-21
November 12th the the 19th

13-Jan-21
Last year I hunted Oct.30-Nov. 8th and the movement during the prerut was awesome. I saw PY bucks everyday

13-Jan-21
Although Pyrannah had the advice I wanted to take it’s not an option ( unless I find public land I like after outfitter hunt). We committed today to hunt Oct 31- Nov 5 then I’ll probably drive to Kansas and hunt a few days with my sons. Will work a week (during our usual lockdown in KS) then return to iowa or Kansas the week prior to thanksgiving if I still have a tag. Not getting younger (65) so time to take more unpaid vacation!! Besides, had to cancel three hunts in three years due to surgeries, gotta go before I can’t. Where I am in Kansas I’ve had my greatest hunts the first week of November and the last week of November but every year different it seems. Will return to either Iowa or Kansas week of thanksgiving if wife doesn’t kill me in my sleep. Hell , it’s fun getting ideas from so many who have done so much.

13-Jan-21
How many points do you have

13-Jan-21
6 points

15-Jan-21
glidingindian, definitely go back and hunt public. It can be fantastic hunting. A year hunting the crap out of IA and KS. How could life get better for a whitetail hunter?

15-Jan-21
nov 12-19

• Sitka Gear