808bowhunter 12-Jan-21
Jasper 12-Jan-21
rhoggman 12-Jan-21
Cheesehead Mike 12-Jan-21
Cornpone 12-Jan-21
Overland 12-Jan-21
Jaquomo 12-Jan-21
11-Jan-21
What app do you guys use on your phone for GPS? And if you’re a hand held fan, which one? Thanks!

11-Jan-21
OnX on my phone and I also use a Garmin 64st. I use my phone and OnX for most crude navigation and for the maps but when I want to get precise coordinates on a treestand or a remote camp, etc I always mark it with my Garmin GPS. I like the navigation features in the GPS much better than OnX. I prefer navigating with the precise bearings the GPS uses rather than just the general directions OnX uses.

12-Jan-21
What GPS phone apps youenz use?

12-Jan-21
I went from Garmin 64 to Onx on my phone. I think it depends on your situation. If you are hunting BIG tracts of public with no worries of stepping on private the the Garmin 64 is a great piece of equipment. If you are hunting white tail on smaller tracts then you NEED to know where that property line is so the Onx/phone is the right choice. I hunt both but have had my spots in my garmin so long that I don't really need much help getting there unless it's in the dark. That brings up another point if I'm walking in in the dark Garmin 64 every time. I like the sat photos of onx to help find funnels or clearings though.

12-Jan-21
OnX has rendered my GPS obsolete.

Matt

12-Jan-21
Strictly Gaia for 4 or 5 years now. Don't miss the GPS.

12-Jan-21
Doesn't the phone require cell service? GPS works anywhere there's a sky overhead...

12-Jan-21
Was OnX for the last few years but I put Gaia on the first string this past season and am so impressed with how much more powerful it is for one third the price. Can't beat OnX for simplicity, though, and I prefer it when looking at private/public.

12-Jan-21
No need for cell service on the phone apps. You download the area you are hunting then put your phone in airplane mode to conserve the battery. The phone GPS still works without service.

12-Jan-21
GAIA for me on an iphone. I carry a Garmin inreach explorer so I have that as my backup. As midwest said, download the imagery directly to you phone, put the phone on airplane mode and go hunt.

12-Jan-21
Exactly what Cheesehead Mike said. I have Gaia and OnX, and like them both. But for pure navigation, hand help gps is much better for me. In the dark my phone will keep me near the trail and I can figure it out, usually. My 64s will keep me on the trail.

12-Jan-21
I use GAIA on my phone and see no need for a second GPS. I actually used it last week to go off shore fishing. downloaded the nautical maps at the marina and away we went. Worked perfect.

12-Jan-21
I used OnX for the first time this year and loved it. Never used my gps.

12-Jan-21
I have OnX on my phone and I have an OnX chip in my Garmin Montana GPS. I prefer the GPS with the chip with its accuracy over the phone app. When I was hunting antelope in northwest Colorado this past fall the GPS with the chip became my best friend. Public and private land was so intermixed with few to zero signs that without the OnX chip it would have been impossible to know whose land I was on as I was traveling around the area. The only thing I don't like about the OnX chip is that it doesn't have the ground detail that my Garmin topographic map chip has.

12-Jan-21
Been using OnX for a number of years on mountain hunts as well as back here in northern MN and find it to be very good and accurate. As others said, map your areas and save for off line use. With your phone in airplane mode you save battery and yet can use the offline map you want and the features work. GPS still works. Except... recent issue...have used tracking and saved accurate tracks numerous times but this winter I have tried to track and save them several times but when finished with the track I end up with a point to point straight line. Don't know if I'm screwing up or what. Sent a message to OnX but haven't heard back yet. Anyone have a suggestion?

12-Jan-21
GAIA on the iPhone for 6 years now. No GPS carried and I'm frequently 100's of miles away from cell service when hunting Northern BC or the Territories. The iPhone is much tougher in my experience than a GPS (had 5 Garmin GPS failures over the years).

I also carry an inReach that has modest GPS capability but never use it as such. Would if my phone crashed. Also carry a small brass Marbles compass I've had for 50 years.

12-Jan-21
OnX on my phone, very simple and fast. I sometimes carry my trusty old Garmin GPS to mark my start point and special places I want to save.

12-Jan-21
Gaia is great and easy to use. OnX is good if you are hunting Checkerboard land with private

12-Jan-21
What app do you guys use on your phone for GPS? And if you’re a hand held fan, which one? Thanks!

12-Jan-21
Hand held GPS is best IMO. Phone is good but not convenient to operate with gloves, while sweating, in the dark, etcetera... If I was only going in a few hundred yards I guess I would stick with a phone. For me a phone is backup navigation, emcomm, and camera.

12-Jan-21
I navigate in the dark quite a bit, often to treestands or a remote elk camp tucked away in the timber somewhere on the side of a mountain. I don't like using OnX for that type of navigation because it's too crude and the directional bug drives me nuts the way it bounces around. My Garmin 64st is much more user friendly and I like the way it gives a precise heading to your waypoint (maybe because I'm a land surveyor and a pilot). I often use my handheld compass in conjunction with my GPS for more precise navigation.

12-Jan-21
Gaia for me. I gave my Garmin eTrex Legend to a friend....won't miss it.

12-Jan-21
Gaia for me (premium version). I hike in the backcountry a tremendous amount and Gaia is invaluable to me. Much better than any GPS and incredibly easy to use. I'd pay many times the price and still be happy.

12-Jan-21
I'm with Cheesehead Mike. I have Gaia, onX, a Garmin, and my old trusty Boy Scout compass. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

• Sitka Gear