LBshooter 23-Jan-21
trophyhill 24-Jan-21
rooster 25-Jan-21
Huntcell 25-Jan-21
Will 25-Jan-21
Huntcell 25-Jan-21
Bowbender8 26-Jan-21
12-Jan-21
Just wondering if anyone ever bought new camo only to realize it was darker than desired and tried altering it rather than returning?

I have had clothing fade over time and wondered if you could speed up the process on a camo pattern that I like but is just a little darker than I’d prefer.

I was also considering adding steaks of gray or tan dye to lighten it as well.

Any ideas?

12-Jan-21
If cotton, wash it many times in hot water/soap. Might help fade the pattern some.

12-Jan-21
I’d send it back.

12-Jan-21
I first thought this was going to be about camp lights. You might try making a mild Clorox solution and soaking them in it. It should light up the colors.

13-Jan-21
I've used a spray fabric paint to add some lighter colors to a jacket and hats. Simply Spray makes a soft fabric spray dye . Has lasted pretty well so far.

13-Jan-21
get rid of it if that's an option and get the right thing that will make you happy. I am fine with fixing stuff that is not to my satisfaction or doe not meet my needs if i am passed the point of no return on a replacement option, but why the heck compromise before it is needed.

13-Jan-21
I had a jacket like that once. I thought - Wow! This is too dark! I think it was a mossy oak leaves. I always felt funny wearing it in the woods. One day, I took all of my camo stuff and laid it out on the bank across the road from my camp just to see what it looked like form a distance of 30 yards. I walked back and sat on the porch. the one thing that blended in the best was that jacket. So all that I'm saying is check it's effectiveness before you make a decision on what to do.

13-Jan-21
At least out west, most camo is too dark. Return it if you can....if not, throw it in with every wash load you do...or sit it out in the sun for a while. Should fade nicely.

17-Jan-21
Thanks for the suggestions!

18-Jan-21
Deer see in B&W (shades of gray) not in colors as humans.

Lack of movement is your best camo.

18-Jan-21
Yep. My experience is that repeated washing to fade the pattern will result in a super shiny garment which is even worse.

18-Jan-21
Tans, greys, browns and greens, I like first lite the best. I still use my Sitka and other stuff, but it's not necessary!

18-Jan-21
Greg (Buffalo1), You might want to research that comment a little further. I believe that deer can see blues and even some greens, not just black and white. It's the longer wavelength light (reds) that they are not able to discern. Kinda makes you wonder if any of the unscented laundry soaps have UV whiteners in them.....

18-Jan-21
Greg (Buffalo1), You might want to research that comment a little further. I believe that deer can see blues and even some greens, not just black and white. It's the longer wavelength light (reds) that they are not able to discern. Kinda makes you wonder if any of the unscented laundry soaps have UV whiteners in them.....

18-Jan-21
I have read blue and yellow. At any rate, back in my poor days I used a spray bottle of bleach with a thin stream to make a pattern. But I wouldn't try it today with a $400 jacket of synthetics

23-Jan-21
Return it and get you some ASAT.

24-Jan-21
My buddy had some Sitka Open Country clothing and over time it appears to of changed to almost a pinkish, reddish in color. And he is meticulous about how he washes and dries.

I’ve seen saddle bags on 4 wheelers that have been sun bleached do the same thing.

25-Jan-21
I'm not sure that you can dye or bleach synthetic materials as you can wool or other natural fabrics. I have quite a few pieces of fleece that hasn't faded noticeably in the 15 or so years I've owned them.

25-Jan-21
It all in your head, switch the I don't care button and then you will be good to go

25-Jan-21
If it's brand new, and you are not a fan, send it back, plenty of other good options.

I've tried to dull/darken slightly with RIT dye and fabric paint a couple times. Once I made "ASAT" out of spray paint - like Rustoleum - and khaki pants. No joke - looked funny with the little pleats for "dress" pants, but worked for me.

25-Jan-21
It all in your head, switch the I don't care button and then you will be good to go

26-Jan-21
Chuck Adams used to tie knots in clothing and the Tye Bleach it. This created somewhat random very faded areas which could then be re-dyed with a like color. You may find one of his early books with more detailed advice in your local library system.

• Sitka Gear