JL 17-Jan-21
WV Mountaineer 17-Jan-21
butcherboy 17-Jan-21
PECO 17-Jan-21
PECO 17-Jan-21
SaltyB 17-Jan-21
kota-man 17-Jan-21
13-Jan-21
Just a heads up that Hoyt is releasing they're new 2021 hunting bows today.

13-Jan-21
Someone has a woody for mathews' riser design

13-Jan-21
That RX-5 is a game changer. WOW !!!!

13-Jan-21
The only thing I see "WOW" about it is the price tag. Also, it is offered in 34" ATA for those wanting a longer draw length, so that is nice.

13-Jan-21
Bou just wait until you see the RX-6 LOL

13-Jan-21
No yokes should have brought that price down a couple Hundo ;-/

13-Jan-21
Interesting no more yokes I like yokes for tuning. Not a fan of shimming

13-Jan-21
It'll be interesting to see how the new cam tunes up. Hopefully some of the top end techs will chime in once they've had a chance to play with them.

13-Jan-21
I’m curious how a guy mounts a sight to that picatinny rail. Is there some sort of adapter to use?

13-Jan-21
I am sure they have proprietary sights, the same as with the rests.

There is some advantage on the rest front as many only have one mounting point, but I don't see the same benefit for sights. Should be lighter though.

13-Jan-21
OK, I'll be the first to say it, "how in the heck do you come out with a heavy carbon bow?" Obviously they are thinking of different advantages to carbon other than the weight? Great looking bows though.

13-Jan-21
Hoyt should have taken the chips and dip away from the RX-5. That thing needs an Adkins diet.

13-Jan-21
Hmmm..very disinteresting.

13-Jan-21
KyleSS I agree completely. Why spend that kind of cash for a carbon bow that weights 4.6lbs for the ultra. Looks like another year with the Matrix!

13-Jan-21
I'm planning to upgrade this year from a Nitrum Turbo but not sure about going with the 21's after seeing them. Interested in shooting the new cam to see what its like though.

13-Jan-21
I too think it is odd that a carbon bow would continue to get heavier over the years. The RX-5 is a half-pound heavier than the RX-4 and almost a pound heavier than their original Carbon bow, the Matrix. I have the RX-3 and really miss the lighter weight of my Matrix. It is very noticeably heavier, so I imagine the RX-5 has to be very noticeable.

13-Jan-21
Comes in Kuiu Verde! Fan boys will be lining up. :)

13-Jan-21
Looks cool to me Interested in checking out the feel of stabilizer down low and seeing the inline sight/rest

13-Jan-21
Lets shoot them first then decide.

14-Jan-21
Will probably trade in my defiant turbo this year on a new one. Looking forward to shooting it.

14-Jan-21
2X Matt on waiting for some reviews from the bow "gurus". I do like the looks of the new line up. I'm also interested in what the "real" weight is vs that stated. I thinks most bows come in a little heavier that advertised. Maybe the stated weight of the RX5 is closer to actual. Anyway, it looks like Hoyt is going to tout riser strength and stability over light weight.

14-Jan-21
How many guys have ever broken a riser?

14-Jan-21
I did Bou'bound! 1988, shooting my PSE Jet Flite Express. I shot an arrow, the arrow hit where I was aiming, and the riser split in half right above the grip. I would love to have seen my face when it happened. But no, not recently, and I've never heard of one breaking either.

14-Jan-21
^^^^ Dang 12yards, nice to hear I have company. lol! I had the riser split at the grip on a PSE Fire Flight Express...at full draw!

14-Jan-21
Maybe it was a PSE thing!

14-Jan-21
Where’s ELKMAN? ??

14-Jan-21
Had a hoyt raptor break in the shot dead middle of my hand somewhere around 2003 im guessing?

Shot, the arrow hit where i was aiming but there was a loud thud. Had the top half of the bow in my hand and the rest was layin on the floor. Never even scratched me.

14-Jan-21
SIP, that is the ultimate in a forgiving bow design.

14-Jan-21
"Where’s ELKMAN? ??"

He is probably too busy cashing his checks from Bowtech and Rage to respond here.

14-Jan-21
Ha....true that, Matt

14-Jan-21
"Anyway, it looks like Hoyt is going to tout riser strength and stability over light weight."

When they initially introduced their carbon bows a decade ago, there was a video of a full-sized truck driving over it multiple times, then they examined it (and shot it) and it was still perfect. The bows were a pound lighter back then, so I don't feel that they need to sacrifice weight in order to have a strong riser. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my RX-3. I just wish it was as light as my Matrix used to be, and don't see why it isn't.

14-Jan-21
I had a guy next to me on the line target shooting when his PSE riser broke at the grip at full draw... knocked the hell out of him. Not sure of the model. This back in the early 80's.

I am interested to see the sight mount rail and understand sight mounting options; can you also mount standard sights without the rail? The little dinky stabilizer & mounting position is of interest too.

14-Jan-21
Too funny Matt!

14-Jan-21
Yes, it has the standard mounting holes for regular sights. I'm sure quite a few sight makers will have the Picatinny available soon. Being a south paw they never have any bows available to shoot when released.

14-Jan-21
Where’s ELKMAN?

Lifting weights so he can buy a new boat anchor

14-Jan-21
Glad they got back to the 7" brace height

14-Jan-21
I shot it yesterday and I really like it. It is close to the weight of the aluminum riser as stated. There is zero hand shock. it just might be a keeper

14-Jan-21
I’m really curious to hear how it tunes up. Also nice the brace height increased.

14-Jan-21
I am with Tilzbow. Curious how that cam tunes. Design looks good and cool colour options.

14-Jan-21
It’ll tune fine with shims but it would be better to have a quick way to just screw the cam over like the bowtech. I switched arrows a cpl days ago, Bullet hole at 10 then bare/fletched at 20 took like 2 minutes on the bowtech.

14-Jan-21
Hoyt schmoyt. I’ve owned 5 compounds in 4 brands. Last 2 have been Bowtechs and my Revolt is the best bow I’ve ever shot. Can’t beat the cam technology either. I feel like you always have to drop an extra c-note or two for a Hoyt

14-Jan-21
My interest is “peaked” on the Ventrum 33. Green riser with sub alpine limbs. It’s either that or a Bowtech Revolt X.

15-Jan-21
"Matt, that made me laugh out loud! But his opinion is unbiased..."

Yes, the most unbiased opinion money can buy.

15-Jan-21
Went back and looked at the Ventrum online. Looks like the only sight mounting option for the Ventrum is the picatinny rail.

15-Jan-21
I had a Ventrum in my hands the other day. It still has conventional sight mounting threads on the side of the riser, along with the picatinny rail. Hoyt isn't that brave!

15-Jan-21
Like stated you can mount either sight type on the bow. Go to Hoyt's website.

15-Jan-21
GhostBird - it looks like it does have the normal sight mounting holes on the riser for those that want to use a normal site. It is a bit confusing because in their covering of the new P.Rail feature on their website - they don't easily spell out to say that the bow also has the standard sight holes... Something they should probably clarify for people for sure.

15-Jan-21
APauls...after freezing your a** off this year hunting whitetails, and knowing it's not going to be getting any warmer in Manitoba, :0 I am surprised you have not explored the Carbon option. It's a game-changer for bowhunting in cold temps.

15-Jan-21
I can’t believe we’re at the RX5 already. Heck I’ve got an RX1 and it still seems new....

15-Jan-21
It doesn't look like any of their bows offer the practical features built into the APA bows. Very surprised they haven't attempted to do that......it's easy to do and would be a great selling point to plug.

Also....some of the RX series bare bows had a had a MSRP of $1749. Once you start to customize it for yourself the price will go up. I haven't purchased a new bow since 2009 but that seems quite high for a bare bow. I'll be curious to see how the demand goes for those.

15-Jan-21
Hoyt schmoyt. I’ve owned 5 compounds in 4 brands. Last 2 have been Bowtechs and my Revolt is the best bow I’ve ever shot. Can’t beat the cam technology either. I feel like you always have to drop an extra c-note or two for a Hoyt

16-Jan-21
Yokes are gone on the new hoyt, guess you can shim the cams? The adjustable let off looks the same as the one on the pse evo nxt's. Not a looker IMO and over priced, I'm out

16-Jan-21
$1,700 for a new bow is not really that bad considering what you pay for a truck or house these days. Just the cost of doing business and getting the latest technology. You can muddle through with other equipment for less, sure, but the difference is noticeable and will have an impact on your success rates.

16-Jan-21
The MSRP on the original Carbon Matrix (2010) was 1599.00. Translated into today's dollars that's about 2200.00. So from that standpoint, you could say they've been lowering the price.

17-Jan-21
"You can muddle through with other equipment" Fake news, I'm good with the bow I have, and I assure you I'm not "muddling."

17-Jan-21
Peco the point is that a new rx5 would bring you to a level of proficiency that you never thought possible. You would look back on your pre-Hoyt self and say you were an unaware muddler. Muddle no more: all Hoyt all the time.!!!!!!

17-Jan-21
WOW! A game changer!

17-Jan-21
bou's sarcasm can be lost on some...

17-Jan-21
For me....I also look at the time value of what I'm spending my money on. I don't see these bows (or most bows) holding their value over the long haul. I also think there is a price point on a curve where money spent is beyond value received. Said in another way, as the cost of these bows increase, is there also a commensurate increase in value received? IMO....no. The gap between price and value received is getting larger with each year.

If I'm asked right now today what weapon to invest $1700+ on, I'm more inclined to invest the $1700+ towards a Hell's Canyon or Christensen 6.5 PRC with a Leupold or Vortex scope. But that's me.......

17-Jan-21
Funny how Hoyt seems to be following a certain company. And, can’t seem to catch them. Longer risers, more balanced weight, etc... Catch them if you can.

I crack me up.

17-Jan-21
I haven’t bought a new bow since 2012. A carbon element. Seeing the new compounds every year has me leaning to going back to traditional more and more. I’m sure I will purchase myself a new longbow in the near future. I shot a recurve before my carbon element.

17-Jan-21
"Muddle no more: all Hoyt all the time.!!!!!!" I don't do all anything all the time. Nope, no fanboy here.

17-Jan-21
Did I mention the compound bow I have is a 2008 Diamond Black Ice? I still love shooting it as much as the day I bought it. It still kills animals as dead as this years latest and greatest flagship bows. Actually the arrow launched from it does.

17-Jan-21
I switched to the RX4 last year because I wanted a carbon riser. I didn't care about weight, I wanted the comfort of not holding an aluminum riser when its zero degrees out. Definitely much nicer holding that Hoyt late season than it was my Mathews.

17-Jan-21
What SaltyB says is true. Once you use a Carbon riser in the cold, it’s hard to go back to Aluminum in the cold. Huge difference IMO...Decisions, decisions...RX5 Ultra or Ventrum 33? ...OR do I go back to a Bowtech Revolt X? #realworldproblems

• Sitka Gear