Matt 14-Jan-21
badlander 14-Jan-21
APauls 14-Jan-21
Buglmin 14-Jan-21
ahunter76 14-Jan-21
joehunter 14-Jan-21
joehunter 18-Jan-21
13-Jan-21
Unfortunately, Easton has discontinued their 6mm Axis arrows and I am in the market for new arrows.

Apparently I'm out-of-touch with the new "trends" are because I'm struggling to find what I want so I am reaching out here to see what I am missing. Here is what I am looking for:

All Carbon - trying to avoid FMJ Not a micro shaft - no outserts or HIT inserts 10gpi-ish weight. .003+/- or better 70#, sub 300fps arrow speed, 125g tip with 50g brass insert, 29.25" shaft length Finished arrow weight of my 6mm Axis was 509g @ 10.2gpi/~16%FOC

CX's pile drivers are quite a bit heavier, Easton Aftermath are basically the 6mm Axis with poorer straightness tolerances, everything else I'm finding from Easton, CX, GoldTip, Victory is lighter. What is out there that I'm missing without going totally fringe?

13-Jan-21
Take a look at Black Eagle arrows, not sure of your speciifc requirements, but I have been shooting them and like them a lot.

13-Jan-21
I just looked at them, unfortunately it appears that their offerings in a 300 spine shafts are 8.5-9 gpi, or you have to jump to a micro diameter outsert which i'm trying to avoid.

13-Jan-21
I know you said no HIT, but if you end up having to compromise somewhere Axis may be your best option. The 300's are 10.7 gpi.

13-Jan-21
gold tip hunter pros are 9.3 gpi at .300 spine is that not 10ish

13-Jan-21
What's wrong with a HIT? works great on the Axis 300.

13-Jan-21
Gold Tip Kinetic Kaos. I suppose these aren't standard diameter.

13-Jan-21
Easton 6.5 are 9.5 gpi. And I believe they are coming out with a brass insert for them.

13-Jan-21
Gold tip kinetic kaos. 300’s 10.4 gpi and take 9/32” field points

My go to arrow. Tough and hard hitting. I just made up 18 in fact this week

14-Jan-21
Thanks JG, that sounds like what I’m looking for and I didn’t find those in my search.

Why not HIT? They might be great, I just know when they first came out there were issues with the ends of the shafts splitting/blossoming. I see that there are several manufacturers making metal footings to reinforce the end of the shafts and many more people buying thin aluminum shafts to DIY the same issue. That tells me the problem may have improved but isn’t gone? So, if I can avoid it, I’d prefer.

14-Jan-21
I shoot gold tip kinetics. They fit your criteria.

14-Jan-21

Bill V - Iron Will 's embedded Photo
Bill V - Iron Will 's embedded Photo
My opinion: A .204 diameter arrow like the Axis 5mm or Black Eagle Rampage with Iron Will's reinforced HIT system with Impact Collar has a lot of advantages. With a HIT, the broadhead shank aligns directly to the ID of the arrow, so it's guaranteed to spin true with a good broadhead, and the Impact Collar reinforces the only weak point of the HIT. You also get the benefits of a smaller diameter arrow like less drag and wind drift.

14-Jan-21
I use a 29" arrow & 125 gr 3 blade fixed & use Easton Aluminums for everything. I know, I'm guessing your not interested BUT gpi on 2114 = 9.9. 2117=12.0 2219 = 13.8 2216=12.0 2213=9.8 2314=10.7 & 2315=11.7.

14-Jan-21
I went with the aftermath. Yes tolerances aren’t as tight...but I’m not a pro shooter and I’m sure I couldn’t tell the difference. Plus I found them for $65/dozen and I’m a cheapskate so works for me.

Craig

14-Jan-21
Ahunter76, I’m old enough to have shot plenty of deer with my old 2317 Lincoln logs and thunderhead 125 broadheads!

As far as the HIT “system” goes, I guess I fail to see how those inserts align with the center of the shaft any differently than any other insert? Properly cut arrows with a standard shouldered insert should be just as centered as an HIT insert. Put one cylinder inside another, as long as they are manufactured well they are centered. Especially with the longer weighted brass inserts.

It all just seems to me like Easton made a solution to a problem that didn’t exist, then other manufacturers like iron will, came up with a fix (for another $60/dozen) for the issues it created.

14-Jan-21
A old aluminum arrow cut 1 inch long and glued onto the shaft as a collar, will fix any weak point issue with a carbon shaft. For really cheap.

14-Jan-21
WV Mountain, yep - I mentioned that above. Was just looking for an option where, if I spend $120+ on a dozen bare shafts that I don’t need to doctor them up to make them strong.

14-Jan-21
Badlander, as more and more guys have used the HIT system, I think experience has borne out that it is strong when arrows are well-built (shafts cleaned and inserts adhered properly and the leading edge of the shaft squared for full contact with the seated BH).

14-Jan-21
I'd be curious to know what % of the market is carbon vs. aluminum. I have to assume it is 80-90%.

I shot aluminum for many years and was a late convert back in 98/99 when I got my first job out of college. For me, I shoot carbon because those aluminum arrows bent and damaged so easily. Creases, bends, dings not to mention trips and falls all took out many of my aluminum arrows. Since I started shooting carbon, my arrows never bend, and rarely break. Typically, if i'm missing an arrow out of a dozen its lost out in the woods or a 3D range someplace. They might cost 2x as much, but they last a lot longer - I cut down and fletched for my kids most of that first dozen Bemans that I bought back in 98/99 .

14-Jan-21
I can’t stand bent arrows. Nursed the last of my FMJ’s through the end of last year, and will be going to a heavier gold tip this year as well

14-Jan-21
Victory Archery's xtorsion shafts, .204 diameter. Use Ethic Archery's static adjustable half outs. Starts out as a high gpi shaft and you can build a good foc with the stainless half outs.

14-Jan-21
I shoot tournaments & bowhunt LOTS & most times year round.. Why is it I seem to be the only Aluminum shooter with arrows 20 years old & still in great shape for anything I want to use them for. My tourny arrows are going on 3 years now (fletched 2 Dz & have 22 left). I did Carbons 2 years and went back..

14-Jan-21
I am sure if you look a little you could still find the Axis branded 6mm shafts. Buy all you need for a few years! I personally use Axis Camo 300 for my Elk arrows. They have been discontinued for several years. I have enough raw shafts to last the rest of my Elk hunting days. Their are still lots of old discontinued arrows that come up for sale on Ebay and other sites every day. You should be able to find what you need!

18-Jan-21
Here you go

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Easton-AXIS-UNDER-ARMOUR-SHAFTS-300-6mm-W-nocks-inserts-1-DZ-12-UAAA/293961754693?hash=item44717c6845:g:T2MAAOSwvKBe1tlI

• Sitka Gear