WV Mountaineer 17-Jan-21
t-roy 17-Jan-21
BULELK1 18-Jan-21
deerhunter72 18-Jan-21
Rob in VT 06-Mar-21
Pete In Fairbanks 06-Mar-21
squirrel 06-Mar-21
14-Jan-21
Hi all - i am considering building out a den on my house, and am seeking opinions on ceiling height.

My vision is that the center piece over the fire would be a shoulder mount bull moose. what are people's thoughts on ceiling height? Clearly i don't need as high for a moose as i would for an elk...

and i feel like going 2 full floors ~ 20 feet is over kill for the size of the room, so i am thinking of maybe going 15 feet?

or would 12 be "enough" ?

if you have shots of your moose that show floor to ceiling and you have the ceiling height, please share!!

14-Jan-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
You could get away with a 12’ ceiling, but if you can swing 15’, I’d suggest going that route. Personally I like a semi-sneak or full sneak form on a moose mount, plus it will help out a bit with limited ceiling height. Not 100% sure, but I’d say it is probably close to 12’-13’ to the top of my bull’s rack in this pic.

14-Jan-21
T-Roy: I Rarely see a canteen mount (left side of fireplace). Really nice.

14-Jan-21
C........It’s getting harder to find forms for them, these days! ;-) DIY spot-n-stalk, too!

14-Jan-21
Just so everyone knows T-roy found that picture on the internet. No way he killed all those critters! ;)

14-Jan-21
eBay!

14-Jan-21
Mine is 12’ on the side walls and 14.6” to the peak. A few feet taller on each would be nicer.

14-Jan-21
thanks t-roy and thanks altitude. altitude if you have a pic i'd love to see it!

I should also mention that i haven't actually hunted a moose yet... but i figure if i build the room, then i will have no excuse to put it off any longer!

14-Jan-21

altitude sick's embedded Photo

14-Jan-21

14-Jan-21
I loaned my moose mount to a freind to put in his restaurant

14-Jan-21
I do not have my AK moose back yet but I am guessing it is definitely going to be taller then my elk. I would assume 6 feet for the height of the mount. Next determine you fireplace height to the mantle then how high you want moose above that and then how much room to the ceiling. Add 4 heights maybe yourself an extra foot to be safe.

14-Jan-21
My moose shoulder mount is much larger than an elk in any pose

14-Jan-21
17' to the ceiling above my Alaskan Moose and a large CO elk. 8' to bottom of the moose brisket and 9' to elk brisket from the floor. (UT Bison is 9.5' above the floor to the brisket.) The elk sneak mount is nearly 6' tall and the moose is around 4' tall. PM for photos.

14-Jan-21
Troy, that’s a good looking piece of a room. I’d like to see the rest of it !

14-Jan-21
Go 14’. Going 15’ would ensure you have to buy 16’ 2x’s. Which In today’s market, is going to be a bunch more money for just your framing material. And, 14 feet is high enough for the look you want. You. Or go 16’ wall studs if the money is not a problem

FEIW, if you live in a colder climate, go 2 x6’s and R 19 insulation in the walls. The increased costs in that will be paid off in a few years of heating a room with that high a ceiling.

16-Jan-21
Mine angles from the 'short side' of 8.6 ft. up to the high side of 12.3 ft..

Just a suggestion, go with 3/4 plywood from about the 4ft mark all the way to the top for plenty of strong mount support and for all the extra room ya can squeeze into the area.

Luv that fireplace of mounts t-roy!

Good luck, Robb

16-Jan-21

BigSkyHntr's embedded Photo
BigSkyHntr's embedded Photo
Moose are huge! Mine is hanging in my uncles store so not sure of ceiling height, but it basically measures 5’ wide, 5’ out to end of nose, and 5’ from top of antlers to bottom of brisket..

16-Jan-21
And moose shoulder mounts are MUCH heavier than an elk mount. So as mentioned be sure to factor the weight in also. My average size AK moose mount is larger than my 10 year old 366” elk mount Unfortunately they aren’t in the same room for comparison

16-Jan-21

MTNRCHR's embedded Photo
MTNRCHR's embedded Photo
10ft. to top of logs and 20ft to peak

16-Jan-21
Nice room and bull

16-Jan-21

Not equal age classes but the only example I have next to each other in my barn. A rag horn next to the rack of a 15ish yr old moose

16-Jan-21

16-Jan-21
I think the architecture of the rest of the house should dictate ceiling height, rather than the type of mount that will be hung. As an architect, I often cringe when I see an addition that doesn't look like it was part of the original house design...like two different structures scabbed together.

Just my 2 pennies, and pocket full of lint.

Matt

16-Jan-21
An experienced contractor/builder will know more on what is your best bang for the buck, then any architect. Trust me on that one. You will need an architect but, few have any reality on cost and how to save money and get the best return on it for building purposes.

Find a builder, get your options, then get him to advise with the architect he and you settle on for drawings. And plywood has nothing to do for holding mounts on a wall. You better be hitting studs or bracing because no interior finish is going to hold bigger mounts safely. You can get the wall ties but why build a new addition to only put holes in the interior finish? Instead, I’d have the builder brace between the studs. All that needs to be discussed and drawn into your blue print.

I’m not knocking architects or suggesting you don’t need them. I’m just advising you on the best approach for less cost and faster more satisfying results.

16-Jan-21
"An experienced contractor/builder will know more on what is your best bang for the buck, then any architect. Trust me on that one. You will need an architect but, few have any reality on cost and how to save money and get the best return on it for building purposes."

Spoken like a true contractor. LOL! Most builders I know couldn't design an outhouse. But then, I've only designed and built dozens of custom homes. I was both architect and builder, and I did all the carpentry work in-house, so what do I know.

Matt

16-Jan-21
An experienced contractor/builder will know more on what is your best bang for the buck, then any architect. Trust me on that one. You will need an architect but, none I know have any reality on cost and how to save money and get the best return on it for building purposes.

Find a builder, get your options, then you can settle on an architect for drawings. The builder should know one and vice versa if you go to an architect first. And plywood has nothing to do for holding mounts on a wall. You better be hitting studs or bracing because no interior finish is going to hold bigger mounts safely. You can get the wall ties but why build a new addition to only put holes in the interior finish that aren’t backed by bracing support? Instead, I’d have the builder brace between the studs. All that needs to be discussed and drawn into your blue print.

I’m not knocking architects or suggesting you don’t need them. I’m just advising you on the best approach for less cost and faster more satisfying results.

16-Jan-21
It wasn’t a shot at you Matt. It was an accurate description of most architects. If you have the knowledge of both, you are rare indeed.

16-Jan-21
Awesome fireplace T-Roy!! I don’t know which I want more, the moose or the fireplace! They probably cost the same? Haha

16-Jan-21
Probably the moose, Mike! (especially if you figure in the added expense of the jewelry my wife bought after I booked the hunt!) That mulie probably looks familiar to you, too! ;-)

16-Jan-21

rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
This wall is 18' or so. When we added the room in 1998 there were two whitetail mounts to hang.

It's like the 'Field of Dreams'..............if you build it, the mounts will come. :)

17-Jan-21
Justin,

I've met a lot of contractors, like you, who have a poor opinion of architects. The funny thing is, they were all working for me.

My point is, the OPs addition should look like it's a part of the original house design, not a scabbed on afterthought built solely for hanging a moose head. Most builders I've met in my career don't have an eye for what's architecturally appealing. They just want to build it as quickly and cheaply as possible, and the end result shows it.

I also don't know what caliber of architects you've dealt with, but I've worked with some of the best there is in Colorado. If you think they don't have a "reality on cost", you are sadly mistaken.

Matt

17-Jan-21

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
I have 17 ft ceiling . It’s given me plenty of room

17-Jan-21

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo

17-Jan-21

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo

17-Jan-21

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo

17-Jan-21

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo

17-Jan-21

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo

17-Jan-21
Sorry for double picture , but for tall and big trophies like elk, moose, caribou, and kudu 17 ft has worked well for me

17-Jan-21
Nice trophies Gobbler, great Kudu bulls

17-Jan-21
Matt, the funny thing is, you’ve once again found away to make yourself seem better. That’s a theme with your posts. And, you’ve definitely perfected it.

Good luck OP. And remember that one guy gets paid to do it efficiently while the other is getting paid to draw you things in theory. And use pella windows, or GP siding, or whatever brands his salesmen buddies are representing.

You gotta have an architect because few builders will undertake something like this without a to scale blue print. It has nothing to do with inability to devise and build it. But, everything go do with being on the same page as the person paying for it. Just remember the incentives. And, don’t hesitate to ask why.

17-Jan-21
Some beautiful mounts, gobbler!

18-Jan-21
Luv the spacing of your mounts gobbler!

Good luck, Robb

18-Jan-21
t-roy, you have a beautiful home. You are a very blessed man!

I lived in a log home for 15 years that had a 25 foot ceiling in the great room. I’m just a WT hunter, but there was plenty of room to hang anything but way too high. It fit the style of the house and it was beautiful, but I had to sell it because the maintenance drove me nuts. I’ll never have another log home and steer people clear of them. 15-17 should serve you well.

We thought about doing an addition on our current home but decided against it because, as Grey Ghost has pointed out, it would’ve stuck out like a sore thumb and we didn’t want to spend enough money to make it look right. Good luck with your addition.

06-Mar-21
Approximately what is the going rate for a Canada Moose shoulder mount?

06-Mar-21
I have a couple of shoulder mounted elk, a moose Euro, and shoulder mounts of a musk-ox and a Cape buffalo.

Where I drew the line was when I figured out that an eland shoulder mount could be 7 or 8 feet from top to bottom. THAT would have kicked my ceiling's ass!

Pete

06-Mar-21

squirrel's embedded Photo
Here may be the perfect comparison shot. sneak/moose. semi/ sneak bull 12' from floor to upper ceiling (11' to bottom of log). Needs to be 15' or greater in my opinion if starting from scratch.

• Sitka Gear