TODDY 05-Feb-21
Drnaln 05-Feb-21
Elk369 05-Feb-21
Tilzbow 05-Feb-21
IdyllwildArcher 06-Feb-21
Tilzbow 06-Feb-21
tkjwonta 06-Feb-21
14-Jan-21
About a week ago, I started a thread asking about some website issues. Mine were resolved over the weekend. While corresponding with the Azgfd representative, I asked when the applications would start being accepted. Her comment was "Soon. Hopefully within the next week! :) I wonder if THEY even know when the apps will start! LOL....although in her defense, she is the technology supervisor, NOT in charge of the draw applications. With a 2/9/2021 deadline date, that really isn't very much time....so don't put it off when it finally opens!!

14-Jan-21
The draw administrator has nothing to do with what’s going on. They had an old system that was so outdated they couldn’t add functionality, which is why you had to go thru the whole process for every app and why you couldn’t link family in the portal. There is stuff in the portal that isn’t even linked real time to your data. The new code should fix all that but they don’t have experience linking that stuff and I suspect they didn’t give themselves enough time to remedy the problems.

15-Jan-21
In my perfect world, the app process would be open for 30 minutes. It'd separate the wheat from the chaff.

15-Jan-21
In my perfect world MY Az sheep, unit 9 early elk and Late 13 deer tag would have been delivered annually by the 5th of Jan.

Ahhh!!! Such is a perfect world....

15-Jan-21
Lol Ike then you get a scenario like Alaska Musk Ox Tags crashing the servers. My only wish was that these states didn’t drag it out for months after the close of the application period to issue tags. A week tops in the slowest scenario I can picture should suffice. These later and later deadlines are making it hard for those with careers to even realistically plan trips without overbuilding up points to take the guessing part out of drawing tags.

16-Jan-21
Can someone remind me... can your AZ license be used 2 years in a row for the draw like you can in UT? If so, is there a date that you must purchase your AZ license after so it will also be good for next year's draw?

16-Jan-21
I believe you can time it perfectly for AZ unless they closed that loop hole, unless you also apply for deer/sheep which are later in the summer and doesn’t allow the timing to avoid the annual license

16-Jan-21
Tried this morning to get my Az apps done and it still wouldn’t let me do them. I’m fearing a big IT mess at the end of the application period if they don’t get going on this

16-Jan-21
yeah, they picked the wrong draw cycle to change the system. The elk/pronghorn draw is the big enchilada for Arizona. Why they couldn't wait until after is beyond me. I predict massive issues with guys not being able to apply because they never updated their log-in info back in December. Glad I'm good to go!! The fact they just sent out a CYA email yesterday to get ahead of the s*#! storm they see coming doesn"t bode well.

16-Jan-21
You can usually do the license loophole in AZ. You have to start your license the last day of the application period and then it’s normally good the following year on the final day. The exception being when the calendar resets and the 2nd Tuesday gets moved back. If you are applying for sheep/deer/bison then it becomes a two licenses for three years deal. (I.e. Start year one’s license on last day of elk/pronghorn, year two’s on last day of sheep/deer, and then year three apps are covered with license number two). This is all assuming you don’t draw anything and have to upset your lapse times by buying a license to hunt. Though that’s a good problem of course.

16-Jan-21
The two licenses for 3 years is a good strategy, I hadn’t thought it through that far, I just always buy my license because I know I’m putting in for deer and sheep too.

I don’t trust myself to not do it correctly and lose my loyalty point!

17-Jan-21
+1 Hoot

I know I'm going to need it for Sheep/deer so I just do it /renewal it when I apply for elk/antelope.

Good luck, Robb

17-Jan-21
Man, this is kicking my ass this year. Got through and was able to log in. Bought my hunting license but I can't find a link to buy bonus points! Can anyone direct me in the right location or am I missing something? Thanks

17-Jan-21
SBH: The application period isn't open yet. That's when you'll be able to purchase your bonus pounts.

17-Jan-21
aha! Thanks. I thought it closed Feb? Is it only open for a few weeks?

17-Jan-21
I also think it is a little unprofessional that they still do not have apps open. They said early to mid January.

17-Jan-21
yeah, its a little late this year. Closes on 2-9.

17-Jan-21
“I know I'm going to need it for Sheep/deer so I just do it /renewal it when I apply for elk/antelope.”

I apply for all four as well. This is my “free” year without a license purchase. Nice to save $160 when it works out.

17-Jan-21
Apps will open next week.

17-Jan-21
Can someone help? I bought a license last season and AZGF told me I could use that same license for this year for elk. I’m only doing elk in AZ. Thanks

17-Jan-21
Log in to your portal and see when it expires. By regulation is needs to be valid on Feb 9.

17-Jan-21
Thanks so much!!!

17-Jan-21
Is it possible to buy my license now and defer it's starting date to Feb 9?

17-Jan-21
yes

17-Jan-21
Thanks Bob!

17-Jan-21
https://license.azgfd.com/

17-Jan-21
Anyone been able to link their children to parents account? I have a 11 year old who applied last year, his bonus points are not showing up. I’m hoping I don’t have to call them and be on hold forever

Thanks.

18-Jan-21
How hard would it be for AZF&G to put a message on their draw page that says the applications will be accepted soon? Instead, it says: "The Arizona Game and Fish Department's 2021 Spring Draw entry application period closed 10/13/2020 11:59:59 PM." Pretty lame.

18-Jan-21
They only had a year to prepare.......

18-Jan-21
As with most government....they are making this way harder then it needs to be

18-Jan-21
Even if it opened tomorrow, it would only be a three week window.....getting kinda narrow.....

18-Jan-21
I can't get into the portal. Giing to have to call tomorrow.

18-Jan-21
I'm checking daily. Still nothing as of this morning.

18-Jan-21
Relax, plenty of time.

18-Jan-21
YES!! Just looked at my AZ license and it is valid til February 10! 2 bonus points for the price of one!

19-Jan-21
When you all are having trouble logging in and you request a password change via email.....are you getting the email? Or is that part of the reason people are having to call to get it ironed out?

I've tried to change password several times and haven't received the email to change password for login yet.

19-Jan-21
YEs I had to call and they had to give me a new user name and password. Ive since been able to make my own password. Their system is as screwed up as national congress LOL!!

19-Jan-21
You should have received an email in early December stating you needed to update your portal acct.

19-Jan-21
cervus, no, my requested email never arrived either.

19-Jan-21
So if it says my “license good until February 9th” Am I covered, or will I need to buy another license. Thanks, I’ll hang up and listen.

19-Jan-21
If February 9 is the deadline, I believe you're good.

19-Jan-21
Thanks Mike

The “until” Feb 9th language has me nervous.

If it said through Feb 9th, I would feel more comfortable.

19-Jan-21
I've seen the mention of a December email above but I never received one. My trash goes back that far and it's not in there either. I suppose I'll have to call regardless then.

19-Jan-21

midwest's Link
I used this link the other night and it worked for me.

19-Jan-21
That's the one I kept trying also but it never worked. After being on hold for 1 hr and 15 mins, I think I got mine figured out. I can login now and all my bonus points and application history are in there....

19-Jan-21
Good deal, cervus.

19-Jan-21
I'm in the same boat as you were Cervus. Hopefully calling will straighten it out.

19-Jan-21
I understand your nervousness Tom. Their grammar or choice of words isn't the best but I've been buying a license every other year for 10 years and it has worked.

You guys that are having trouble logging in, I found my email back on December 8 in my spam/promotions folder.

My temporary password failed the first couple times until I realized there was a semicolon on the end that I wasn't using. Make sure you enter all special characters.

20-Jan-21
I'm superstitious, so I just buy my license and then apply.

I've drawn quite a few Bull tags over the years in Az., granted some have been the late date tags but being superstitious hasn't cost me loosing a tag! For a few bucks $160----->

Good luck, Robb

20-Jan-21
Is it just me or can one still not apply for the fall elk/antelope hunts?

20-Jan-21
Correct, apps are not open yet.

The language about when a hunting license is valid for applications, actually seems pretty clear. It states: "IF YOU ARE APPLYING FOR THE 2021 ELK AND PRONGHORN DRAW YOU MUST HAVE A LICENSE THAT IS VALID ON DEADLINE DAY FEBRUARY 9, 2021".

You can read it here:

https://license.azgfd.com/

When buying a license, you can choose the "effective date" and it can be as far as 60 days out from the current date.

20-Jan-21
I'm curious if all this discussion about February 9th will become moot point. Given the lengthy application period delay....is it not feasible the application deadline may get moved as well?

20-Jan-21
Sticksender, that's not the language that is questionable or ambiguous. Norseman said his license says it's valid "until" February 9th, which could be interpreted as meaning that once the calendar flips to February 9th it's no longer valid. It would be much less ambiguous if it said it was valid thru February 9th.

pav, this has come up in the past where the deadline was extended due to their servers crashing. When that happened licenses that expired on the original deadline were honored. Otherwise there would have been a lot of applicants who got screwed due to their server crash.

20-Jan-21
Application is open now

20-Jan-21
This is messy right now. It let me buy a license for one of my daughters but doesn't show it on the portal as being purchased so I don't want to apply for a hunt yet. It only allows me to buy a non-residence license (i'm a res). It doesn't allow my son to get in at all and the verification (click all the boxes with crosswalks etc) is broken and makes you do it for around 5 minutes before letting you in. Oh, and I'm not able to register a new user (youngest daughter). It says I need a valid phone number and that the email account is already being used (it's not). Other than that this portal is great! :)

20-Jan-21
A license does not say "valid until", it says "valid dates". Mine is valid 2/11/20100 - 2/10/2021.

20-Jan-21
And done!

20-Jan-21
Ok, for some reason most of it worked on my ipad. weird

20-Jan-21

Norseman 's embedded Photo
Norseman 's embedded Photo

20-Jan-21
All done!

20-Jan-21
I'm in. Drew back in 2012... not holding my breath for this year though :) Good luck guys! Pete

20-Jan-21

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
WapitiBob's embedded Photo
You should be good. Your license will say valid dates and 2/9/21 will be the end date, which makes it valid on that day. On the upside, AZ has never checked for a licenses “valid at the close of the app period.”

20-Jan-21
Anybody know when you purchase just bonus points?

20-Jan-21
Apply for hunt 3000 for elk point.

20-Jan-21
Empty Freezer - You do that now. No later period such as is the case in Wyoming or Montana.

21-Jan-21
Thanks Bob!

21-Jan-21
I applied and was unsuccessful at drawing an Archery elk license last year, but when I checked it says NO BONUS POINTS. Any ideas what is wrong?

21-Jan-21
In AZ you buy the license and apply for the tag. The app fee pays for the point. Call or send an email and they'll get it fixed. [email protected]

21-Jan-21
I have tried to log in a couple times and when I used the temporary password provided by email it did not work. I tried again a bit ago and when I put in that password it worked. Maybe IT has fixed the issue on their end. My portal is working fine now.

21-Jan-21
Has anyone figured the kids thing out? I cant seem to buy them a license but i can get them to be added to my application for each draw but cant buy them a license. I hate to call. Seems like they should encourage you to add kids to your application.

21-Jan-21
Can you imagine if we ran our businesses like this and our customers had a choice on somewhere else to get their AZ tags? Why can’t they make this thing user friendly?

21-Jan-21
Huntin fool announced today the draw is open. I’ll do mine this weekend if it isn’t crashed!!!!

21-Jan-21
I just got my bonus points ok. Thanks Ram..

22-Jan-21
Hypothetical Situation.....A hunter has a modest number of bonus points (5-10). They apply for a highly desired unit, assuming that they will NOT be drawn (rather than just apply for Bonus Points). For whatever reason, they get drawn.....God forbid that Covid quarantines are still in effect by this September, but IF they are, assuming that they can't quarantine for the required time period, would Point Guard allow them to turn in their tag, and keep the points that they have accumulated? If they turn in the tag (having previously bought Point Guard), would they then "earn" or be given a bonus point for 2021?

22-Jan-21
yes

you can turn the tag back just because you want to

22-Jan-21
....and all that the hunter is out, is the cost of the NR elk tag?

22-Jan-21
Done and with Only 3 elk points!! haha

Good luck, Robb

22-Jan-21
With your luck, You’ll draw.

22-Jan-21
Yes Jake, all you lose is the cost of the tag by utilizing point guard. But you can only use point guard once per species, the 2nd time you draw your points are burned no matter what.

22-Jan-21
Has anyone else experienced having no points showing in their account? I went back to check just to make sure and found my receipts of points purchased but my account is showing no points. I would also like to know how to access my kids accounts, I used my email address on their points purchases but now cannot figure out how to access their accounts. Guess I'll have to make the dreaded phone call.

22-Jan-21
MQQSE- Such a good point about imagining if this was a business website. You could include a few other states too. That business wouldn't be around long. If the website isn't functional, I move on pretty quick if there are other options.

22-Jan-21
And a word to the wise. Be very careful when you make your picks for first and second choice. From there make sure you have point guard as well. You can not change your application once it has been paid for.

I did my app and when I got the email it has a late archery elk pick for my second choice. I would swear I put in for the early archery on both picks, but the second came out as a late hunt. I have 13 points and it's only a 6 point late hunt.

Looks like I get to use my pointguard this year :(

Then again maybe I'll get lucky and draw my first choice early archery and won't have to worry about it.

Check and double check your picks before you pay.

Cheers, Pete

22-Jan-21
Issues I had problems with:

Your USER NAME is only used to log in.

Once in your portal, you need to enter DEPARTMENT ID (often it's your SS#, could be an assigned number), you'll never need USER NAME once you're into the portal.

I went through the temporary process back in Dec, set up USER NAME and PASSWORD, but then tried to log in and couldn't get it to work. Had to call AZDGF to have them reset. Worked for 1x login, then locked again. Had to call them back again and re-re-set. This time it seems to be working fine.

Was on hold 20 & 30 min, so don't wait until last minute...

23-Jan-21
Pete,

If ya do draw your 2nd choice late date ~~ I look at those late date hunts like our Utah Wasatch Front late date bow hunts......

Very enjoyable!

Good luck, Robb

23-Jan-21
Anyone able to view your 2021 elk application in the portal after applying?

23-Jan-21
C3 you will be using your point guard if you don’t want the late hunt. If you have enough bonus points to draw your second choice in the bonus pass, that’s what you get. You won’t get your first choice of it has a higher point requirement than your second.

23-Jan-21
Wife and I are in.....no issues.

23-Jan-21
I just bought the elk point. I hate that my receipt doesn't show I bought a point, just the cost.

23-Jan-21
midwest, it's on there....look in the paragraph of text towards the top of the emailed receipt.

23-Jan-21
c3: You could always change your credit card to an expired/invalid card and your app will be rejected. But you take the chance of drawing your first choice.....lol. With your points, I believe the late hunt might be in your future. You’ll still retain your loyalty point and gain another bonus point on a rejected card. It’ll just show “not drawn”. Before, on a rejected card, you’d lose both your loyalty point and the new bonus point, but that was changed several years ago.

23-Jan-21
"midwest, it's on there....look in the paragraph of text towards the top of the emailed receipt."

Well, duh. Don't know how I missed that....lol. Thanks, Greg, I feel better now!

23-Jan-21
Logged on, put in, checked all my points, logged off....done.

24-Jan-21
Can somebody confirm that Arizona draw results come out in early March? Thanks!

24-Jan-21
Cards will be hit Feb 26 if I remember right.

24-Jan-21
Thank you!

25-Jan-21
9er is correct, they should hit credit cards Feb. 26.

25-Jan-21
All done and submitted.

25-Jan-21
Anyone still seeing this on your Portal Account, after applying:

25-Jan-21
Yes I did. I called them and the lady stated it will take couple days to flip to applied.

30-Jan-21
Application submitted. Hoping for luck in the draw and an end to the Arizona drought.

01-Feb-21
My 2 boys and I did a party elk application..no issues or problems..about 1 1/2 weeks ago ??

01-Feb-21
My applications were submitted on the 20th, right after they opened. My new license date shows up and my bonus points are correct, but my applications are still in limbo. They hit my credit card and sent email confirmations....so no worries yet.

01-Feb-21
Those of you applying for tags, flagstaff recieved 54” of snow in total from the last storm. Which should help thier moisture problem some. However they could still use a lot more- it’s the first significant moisture event in 8 months

01-Feb-21
My app was submitted w/o issue. First time not buying a license. (My 2020 license expires Feb 10). It felt like I was sticking it to the man, and it felt wonderful!

02-Feb-21
Hopefully my 'Hit' doesn't show until the 27th on my B-Day!!!

Good luck, Robb

02-Feb-21
I like the new portal. Took care of everything at once in 5 minutes. Nice job AZ. Only thing better would be if they gave me a tag...

05-Feb-21
Anyone else's portal still not updated? Mine still says: "Looks like you did not apply for the most recent Big Game Draw!" This is nothing new over the years and I have the receipt from my application but could they at least update it to show pending or something like that? Or am I the only one? TODDY

05-Feb-21
My elk & pronghorn apps showed up today

05-Feb-21
So if your applying as a group, do you have to apply everyone at same time? One guy lives across state. Or is there a attachment code like in some states for other hunters? I have looked cant find it.

05-Feb-21
I and zero problems with the portal and the entire process was a non issue compared to past years. That said AZ website sucks ass and it’s shocking they still require you to start over three times to buy a license and apply for two tags. Worst state hunt application website of all western states! They need to hire a non-govt agency or a 16 year old kid to redesign their website.

06-Feb-21
Yeah, AZ's process is not idea. I wish everyone could take a lesson from Utah's app process which is very straight-forward.

Elk369, I put in as a group every year and I have to do it all for the group. It's dumb that they don't do it like Wyoming, but it is what it is.

06-Feb-21
I like NV’s even more than UT’s since they redesigned. As easy or easier than UT’s and only a two week wait between app deadline and a sheep tag this year!

06-Feb-21
Agreed with the complaints about AZ and the efficiency of UT/NV. I also really appreciate the transparency of the NV process where the draw is live streamed and explained in great detail. I'm sure it is not captivating video for the average person, but I find it fascinating.

• Sitka Gear