wildwilderness 16-Jan-21
Drahthaar 16-Jan-21
drycreek 16-Jan-21
Nick Muche 16-Jan-21
Scooby-doo 16-Jan-21
APauls 17-Jan-21
wildwilderness 17-Jan-21
15-Jan-21
Getting ready for a coues hunt over water. Been observing deer more this season and had a few string duckers. So when do you shoot a whitetail?

In a discussion with my buddy he was saying a number prefer to shoot deer when their heads are up looking away vs head down ears back either eating or drinking. Said the head down position they are wired to jump and faster than if they are looking up and away.

What’s your call?

15-Jan-21
I think he may have a point.

Also, basic laws of physics… Head comes up, shoulders go down. Equal and opposite reactions. They can probably duck the string a little bit quicker when their head is down. I think they pretty much have to flex their forelegs a bit in order to get their head down; certainly if they are drinking, so that also probably means that they are pre-loaded to spring away.

And as your friend said, they probably do feel more vulnerable when their head is down since it restricts their field of view.

But wasn’t it Paul who just went out there and got it done last year?

16-Jan-21
Head down at water. Be ready to shoot before they drink cause you’ll have about 5-10 seconds. They don’t drink very long.

16-Jan-21

Bow Crazy's Link
Dr. Grant Woods did a test on topic. He found out that shooting a deer with their head up is better especially if the deer is somewhat weary of the situation. When a deer drops at the sound of the bow, they drop their head first then their body. If the head is already down, they just have to drop the body thus making them drop more at the sound of the shot. So, what GF said above is what Dr. Woods concluded. Here is the video that goes into string drop. BC

16-Jan-21
When the body position is right. I wouldn’t think it any different than when a deer is feeding. Aim low in the vitals. A lot depends on the distance of the shot as well. 15 yards and under is a lot different than 25. Most hits for the average shooter naturally hit a little high vs. “target” shooting. JMO

16-Jan-21

paul@thefort's embedded Photo

16-Jan-21

16-Jan-21

16-Jan-21

pick your shot, aim lower, keep under 30 yards at best, at water deer can be at a variety of angles. Mexico hunt. I hav kill 6 in AZ, none over water and no shots over 30 yards. Two weeks ago 9 yd
pick your shot, aim lower, keep under 30 yards at best, at water deer can be at a variety of angles. Mexico hunt. I hav kill 6 in AZ, none over water and no shots over 30 yards. Two weeks ago 9 yd

16-Jan-21
When they are looking,the,other,way. Head up or down.

16-Jan-21
If you set up close, say 18-20 yards, it won't matter as much. I hold on the crease, about 1/4 of the way up from the brisket. They pretty much always drop at the shot. But at that range, with a typical 270+ fps set-up, they can only drop 3 or 4 inches before impact.

16-Jan-21
Yes closer the better.

All the jumpers I had this year were on video (lots of fun self filming) so I could see what happened better. I had usually waited for head down, but noticed ears back and they seemed tense.

16-Jan-21
Shoot a deer with its head up looking the other way , they can't see you draw or here the shot. if you can see a deer eyes it can see you. Forrest

16-Jan-21
I would listen to the guys that have actually hunted Coues deer. I doubt Dr. Woods has ever seen one, (like me).

16-Jan-21

16-Jan-21
I think you have to watch a deers behavior. All depends on the situation and knowing when to draw and when to shoot. Head up, head down all depends on the situation! Shawn

17-Jan-21
I like em looking me in the eye when I take their life. JK, but head up is good.

17-Jan-21
Haha. Michael McKinney from Masterminds

• Sitka Gear