16-Jan-21

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
No more heavy bulky boots and sweaty cold feet
Scrappy's embedded Photo
No more heavy bulky boots and sweaty cold feet

Scrappy's Link
Tried these western mountaineering down booties for my late season hunt this year. Temps on a few mornings were just below zero. All eight days where below freezing. The insoles on these were to thin to stand on the stand in so I cut up an old pair of core4 knee pads for a thicker insole. I used a hand warmer in each for toasty warm feet. I really mean toasty warm dry feet. I won't be sitting in a tree in Temps below thirty ever again with boots on.

16-Jan-21
I’ve done that with a pair of Boot Blankets, and it definitely worked pretty well, other than I didn’t like the lack of support on the soles of my feet. Good idea on adding the knee pad pieces, scrappy! Did they stay in place well for you?

16-Jan-21
Ya T-roy, just as confy as a good pair of house slippers. The shock cord at the top wasn't really need due to the internal one around the ankles.

16-Jan-21
A timely topic. After a while my feet/toes will get cold....in the stand or in the house.

FWIW.....anyone else having feet/toe issues that seem abnormal, Tuesday I had an Ankle Breacheal Index test (W/Exercise) done to see how the foot circulation is. That showed good. You may want to talk to your Doc about it if something doesn't seem right.

16-Jan-21
JL I don't have any feet issues as a matter of fact I have extremely hot feet. The other benefit of the booties is sweaty feet are a thing of the past.

16-Jan-21
I am going to try a similar system next season. Feathered Friends down booties inside of USGI mukluks. The mukluks come with 2 wool insoles in each boot and they offer some support.

16-Jan-21
I have been using FF down booties in a pair of Artic Shields for many years. They work great for rifle and late season bowhunting in northern MN and the UP of MI. With the Artic Shields I don't have to worry about rain or snow.

16-Jan-21
Ya I kept a pair of artic shields in the vehicle for bad weather to put over them. Not having to wear a big bulky pair boots is a huge plus due to all my hunts are hang and hunt.

16-Jan-21
I’m partial to a down sleeping bag cinched under my armpits and a couple Nalgene bottles full of hot water/beverage.

I was too tough and too stupid for too many years to have good circ in my feet anymore....

21-Jan-21
Artic shield and a body warmer rubber banded to the top of you boot is hard to beat. I have worn hikers out in cold weather and with a warmer and artic shield been fine all day. Buy the XL covers , makes it easier to get them on, but if you wear 12/13 the xl's are tough to get on. Once on your good but it's a little work. If you don't have far to walk and your in snow you can just walk to your stand, they last the season and duct tape makes for good patching. Cheap enough to replace each year.

• Sitka Gear