Dutch oven 17-Jan-21
Zbone 17-Jan-21
IdyllwildArcher 18-Jan-21
Empty Freezer 18-Jan-21
t-roy 18-Jan-21
Shuteye 18-Jan-21
LKH 18-Jan-21
17-Jan-21
I talked to my son Lucas last night. We were exchanging stories of mishaps of the hunting so far. He has been properly trained in the handling of every wild animal I could ever get my hands on. He said he caught a small javelina while backpacked in. After awhile he said it calmed down and he thought it was starting to like him. Apparently he started using the puppy holding technique. Way to early in the friendship. I guess they have a quick bite and some sort of jaw locking mechanism. And sharp teeth. He put his other fingers down it’s throat to get it to release its grip. Lot of blood and he didn’t die from the wound. I’m so proud! I trained him well

17-Jan-21
I remember back in my High School day trapping for racoons. Had a small one in the leg hold trap. Looked innocent enough until I tried to grab it by the back of its neck. My mistake, it almost took my finger off. Friend indeed!!!!!!!!!! Lesson learned.

17-Jan-21
Huh??? I'm speechless at this thread. All I can say is that everyone should leave young, wild animals alone. This one must have been what we used to call a "weiner" or a really small javelina. Anyone with any experience with javelina knows to be careful around them, especially a small one with Mom probably close by.

17-Jan-21
Baby raccoon will tear you up if you don't grab them right Paul...8^)))

But if you grab them right by the skuff of neck good and hard so they don't squirm away, and pick them up, they'll cover their front paws over their eyes so the don't see you...8^) Cutest thing.... I guess sorta like an ostrich sticking it's head in the sand...8^)

18-Jan-21
I know a guy who picked up a rattlesnake up by the tail.

Guess what happened?

18-Jan-21
My little brother caught a baby raccoon in a leg hold. I had to release it. Crazy how strong a baby animal is in the wild. They are definitely built to survive. And leather gloves do not prevent injury!!

18-Jan-21
Good thing he’s got ten of them, Randy! ;-)

When we were little kids, my sister and I decided we were going to do a bird banding project, tying different colored yarn on the legs of birds that we could catch around the bird feeder. Using the old tried and true “box propped up with a stick” trap, we set out to start our research. We ran a string out the window and tied it to the stick holding the cardboard box up, and put some ACME birdseed under it. After many failed attempts, we managed to catch a female cardinal. I carefully reached under the box and caught her. I brought her into the house so my sister could tie the yarn on it’s leg. In the process, the cardinal latched onto one of my fingers and clamped down hard! I partially let go to try to get her to release, and she started spinning. In the process, I ended up pulling out all of her tail feathers before she got away from me in the house. We had a heck of a time before we finally got her herded out through the front door........That project was pretty short lived, but that particular cardinal WAS pretty easy to identify at the bird feeder, after that. It was amazing how much power that cardinal had in her beak, especially to a 6 year old kid!

18-Jan-21
Early this summer my neighbor called and said Raccoons were tearing up her flower bed and eating her cat food. I set a live trap and used apple for bait so I wouldn't catch the cats. I caught one adult female and four little coons in a week. I took them several miles away and released them. However, one time I had two of the little ones in the trap at one time. One got away and it took several grabs to get him right. He tried to bite my hand off. My wife thinks they are the cutest little animal out there. They are really strong, even when young. Getting them out of a live trap into a cage is an experience for sure.

18-Jan-21
Was in the middle of the east arm of Rainy Lake on the MN/Canadian border. About 1.5 miles from each shore when we came on a doe and fawn swimming across. Doe was about 100 yards ahead and I thought we'd give the fawn a lift to catch up.

We were in a 14' aluminum boat and I had the driver pull alongside the fawn and I put one hand under the chest and the other under the belly and started to lift.

I think it was about and hour before I could feel my fingers. Back of hand turned purple.

• Sitka Gear