Deertick 21-Jan-21
Bigfishhunter 21-Jan-21
Deertick 21-Jan-21
Bigfishhunter 21-Jan-21
WYelkhunter 21-Jan-21
WVFarrier 23-Jan-21
yooper89 23-Jan-21
20-Jan-21
How many of you are running smart watches? I’m considering the Garmin Felix 6x but I’m wondering how much I’d use it? I see the altimeter having some value while elk hunting but the Suunto Core I had years ago was so inaccurate it wasn’t usable. I’d love to hear your thoughts. Currently just running a Citizen Diver so anything would be “smarter”.

20-Jan-21
I use the Garmin Instinct. Much cheaper option with many of the same features. I paid $160 I think on amazon on a sale. Really like the fact I can pair it with my Inreach device, set waypoints, etc and serves as an emergency GPS in a pinch. Altimeter seems to work pretty well on it. Alerts for sunrise/set, etc. Would definitely buy it again. I pair mine up with my Alpha dog collar for bird hunting as well, really like it for that.

20-Jan-21
Instinct Solar here. Brotsky covered it well. I go about 20 days between charges, sometimes less sometimes more. I think the solar option really helps with that.

20-Jan-21
How long do the non solar watches run without charging or battery change?

20-Jan-21
Depends upon how you are using them really Bowfreak. Minimal GPS usage mine goes for at least a week or longer (mine is non-solar). If you use the GPS frequently you may need to recharge every other day or even sooner if you use it continuously.

21-Jan-21
As long as I calibrated my Garmin instinct altimeter every morning it was accurate through out the day. I found my self using the watch so much hunting and even for different things through out the year as a smart watch I just upgraded to the Fenix 6 saphire. When I used my instinct in ultratac gps mode and tracked my self all day while hunting then just using it as a watch in evening and night I would charge it every other day. It wasn't dead but probably didnt have enough juice to track another full day. The fenix 6 is supposed to last about 5 days in the ultratrac mode. mine are non solar. If I am just using them as a smart watch they easily last 2 weeks.

21-Jan-21
Dumb question, but how do you use it for hunting? Does it really matter what the elevation is? can you set a point on it (in the mountains) and have it take you there? Or get you back out? I am in need of a new running watch to keep track of time, distance and pace, but if I can find one that would help with hunting I would love that. Thanks!

21-Jan-21
I have one of the Garmins ... to be honest, I don't use it. It's heavy, and not really more useful than a regular watch. It loses connection to my phone frequently. The interface (buttons on the side) is really not either intuitive or user-friendly. Adding apps is a drag, and ... well, you have better things to spend money on, IMO. (And I wanted to like it -- I did!)

21-Jan-21
I've been running Garmin smart watches for over 15 few years and my last 2 purchases have been certified refurbished. I'm an endurance athlete and use mine for training daily. I've had 4 watches in those years. Two I sold and bought the latest and greatest at retail and learned my lesson. Then I broke one and phoned Garmin and they asked if they could replace it for a "crash fee" with a refurbished one of the same model. (Forerunner 630) I used that watch hard and it was flawless. But alas, I lost it on a trip and purchased a "certified refurbished" Fenix 5. I've had it for 9 months, I really like it. You'd never tell these watches from new ones.

21-Jan-21
I have one of the Garmins ... to be honest, I don't use it. It's heavy, and not really more useful than a regular watch. It loses connection to my phone frequently. The interface (buttons on the side) is really not either intuitive or user-friendly. Adding apps is a drag, and ... well, you have better things to spend money on, IMO. (And I wanted to like it -- I did!)

21-Jan-21
Deertick, I hear what you are saying. I guess for me, I use the watch as a tool and eliminate all the bs "smart watch" features. I don't like to get notifications like texts, weather etc on it. I turn that off. I hate the activity tracker feature (I know when I'm active, I don't need a watch to tell me that I'm active or that I've been sitting for an hour, I know.) Mine is used for training purposes (heart rate, cadence, timer, intervals, pace per mile). It stays on my wrist all the time, even when hunting, but if I want gps features, I use a proper gps (or phone haha). If I want the weather, I get my phone out. For daily use, my watch is just a watch, used for telling time. But if you are using it for training, Garmin is the really good. If I didn't do endurance sport, don't think I'd need one for hunting purposes.

21-Jan-21
"Dumb question, but how do you use it for hunting? Does it really matter what the elevation is?"

Instead of setting a waypoint and draining battery using GPS. I just know the direction I need to go, the distance and the elevation i should be at when i get there. I can see all of these things just with a glance at the watch face. Very easy way to navigate.

"can you set a point on it (in the mountains) and have it take you there? Or get you back out?"

You can also save points to navigate back to, or project a waypoint to goto. or you can record your track and navigate that saved track back to the starting point or fallow it later in the same direction.

23-Jan-21
I have been using a suunto for years but am eyeballing the Garmin Tactix Delta

23-Jan-21
Big fan of my Instinct Solar. Even wear it under my bunker gear and have no issues with it training, etc.

• Sitka Gear