paul@thefort 24-Jan-21
Beav 24-Jan-21
Shuteye 25-Jan-21
ALovely 25-Jan-21
paul@thefort 26-Jan-21
22-Jan-21

paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Well here we go again but this time with a good friend that has never killed a goose with his bow. Yep, turkeys, elk, deer but no geese. One never knows what might happen but we were at the blind before sun rise, had the 16 Big Foot decoys out, and then had some time to catch up on our past hunting adventures. Jerry killed a great 6x6 Colorado elk with his bow last season and had to solo pack it out four miles one way and I think it did take two days and four trip to get it out. If he kills a goose this morning, he can sling it over his shoulder and in one 200 yards hike be back at the truck. All he has to do it kill one and what I have to do is call some in and within bow range. Sun is coming up so we better get ready.

22-Jan-21

For the next hour and one half we have about 200-300 geese fly over but heading east to other places to eat.
For the next hour and one half we have about 200-300 geese fly over but heading east to other places to eat.
At 9:15 this small flock got our hopes up but they sailed on by.
At 9:15 this small flock got our hopes up but they sailed on by.
fifteen minutes later this flock showed interest and started to circle. "Jerry, get ready, this might be the time".
fifteen minutes later this flock showed interest and started to circle. "Jerry, get ready, this might be the time".
"Jerry, they are landing out front, let me range them"
"Jerry, they are landing out front, let me range them"

22-Jan-21

"the closest one is 31 yards". Jerry releases the arrow.
"the closest one is 31 yards". Jerry releases the arrow.
WACK!. Love that sound. Great shot Jerry, his first goose. but wait the rest of the flock is still there, 34 yards, second arrow released.
WACK!. Love that sound. Great shot Jerry, his first goose. but wait the rest of the flock is still there, 34 yards, second arrow released.
Almost a double , but just rump white feathers.
Almost a double , but just rump white feathers.

22-Jan-21
You'd better hurry it's going to snow!

22-Jan-21

I went and got Chase from the truck and lined him up for a blind retrieve 120 yards away. Dead bird, fetch I stated.
I went and got Chase from the truck and lined him up for a blind retrieve 120 yards away. Dead bird, fetch I stated.
like a laser beam heading for the goose
like a laser beam heading for the goose
one whistle and a right over correction and he was on the goose.
one whistle and a right over correction and he was on the goose.
Not bad at all for a 12 year old pup. Chase the wonder dog.
Not bad at all for a 12 year old pup. Chase the wonder dog.

22-Jan-21

Well what a great morning with a good friend and his first bow goose. Fun stuff in deed. My best, Paul
Well what a great morning with a good friend and his first bow goose. Fun stuff in deed. My best, Paul

22-Jan-21
cool

22-Jan-21
Ha that’s awesome! I have never hunted geese before and every year you get me wanting to.

22-Jan-21
AWESOME ! There was never a more satisfying feeling while duck hunting than my lab Little Lucky Guy (Guy for short) executing a blind retrieve and especially multiple blind retrieves. How I miss that !

22-Jan-21
Great stuff, Paul! Congrats to Jerry!

22-Jan-21
Awesome Paul and Chase!! Teamwork. Wondering what it’s like to bowhunt geese with your best friend.

22-Jan-21
Hey Spike, "should have, could have, would have". Life is short; go for it. my best, Paul

22-Jan-21
Paul, simply the best. I love these hunts!

22-Jan-21
Atta-boy Jerry!

22-Jan-21
Lov'n it!

22-Jan-21
Drycreek, do what we have none over the years. When the current dog goes to Doggy Heaven, we just order a new one. Actually we have a male black lab on order for next December.

22-Jan-21
Good stuff!

22-Jan-21
Paul, I quit duck hunting cold turkey. Guy died, I lost the best duck hunting place I ever had, and the Feds mandated steel shot all in the same year. It was too much for me I guess ....

22-Jan-21
Congrats to your buddy Jerry on his first goose, Paul!

Your comment on having a new lab on order, got me wondering. Have you ever posted a pic of Chase when he was a pup?

22-Jan-21

Here you go, Chase three months old, 11 1/2 years ago. born on Feb, 14th 2009 on Valentine's Day, and actually the last day of Colorado's goose season.
Here you go, Chase three months old, 11 1/2 years ago. born on Feb, 14th 2009 on Valentine's Day, and actually the last day of Colorado's goose season.
and then last year with my recurve goose
and then last year with my recurve goose
Chase is a duck hunting fool
Chase is a duck hunting fool

22-Jan-21
That bow hunting geese looks like a blast. Thanks for sharing.

23-Jan-21
Start peeling the taters!

Good eats for sure,

Robb

23-Jan-21
Thats one of the best feelings.....helping a buddy score! Good job Paul

23-Jan-21
Congrats to your buddy and good deal getting him his first bow goose Paul, outstanding! Can't forget Chase, hope he got some treats. Great pics as usual, thanks for sharing.

23-Jan-21
Good stuff!

23-Jan-21
I don't care much for water fowl,,,,,,,,,,,except. Where we hunt in Sask, Canada, we shoot a LOT of specs. When we get back after the morning shoot we cut a bunch of them into bite size pieces, season them, wrap in bacon and BBQ.

I sure did miss that hunt last fall.

24-Jan-21
Hey Bob, sounds like a good time, hope you get back there. Paul

24-Jan-21
Congrats Jerry! Well done Paul!

25-Jan-21
That was a great job.

25-Jan-21
Hi Paul, Any training resources or recommendations for going from a 3 month old pup to a strong hunting dog?

Thank you,

Alex

26-Jan-21
Alex, this first retriever training book I purchased was back in 1972, a book titled, Training Your Retriever, by James Lamb Free, That book seems to be the bible for retriever training at the time. Another book, titled, Water Dog, my Richard Wolters is another. Today one can go on You Tube and find many training videos for both pointing, flushing and retrieving dogs for how to start a dog to finishing that dog.

I would say that the parent dog's DNA, and pedigree, play a key role in the potential of any dog achieving a strong hunting status. Your presents, knowledge, consistency with the right training methods also play an important role. A hunting dog can become part of your family structure but should not be allow to become the Alpha dog of your family as can happen with bad, no,, or inconsistent proper training from all family members. Getting you dog on real birds, ie, pheasants, quail, or ducks for training is important as rubber training bumpers can just go so far in training. If needed, join a local dog pointing or retrieving club for that and additional help. Hope this helps answer your question. My best, Paul

• Sitka Gear