BIGERN 24-Jan-21
Mr. Whitetail 24-Jan-21
Mr. Whitetail 24-Jan-21
Mr. Whitetail 24-Jan-21
Inshart 24-Jan-21
Jasper 24-Jan-21
BULELK1 25-Jan-21
23-Jan-21
I'm building a new house and I'm trying to determine how I'm going to mount my elk. I'm really leaning toward a pedastal. For those of you that have pedastal mount elk, can you give me an idea of how much space it takes? If you could take some measurements and post a pic I'd really appreciate it.

23-Jan-21

altitude sick's embedded Photo
This one is 58” wide, 64” from nose to wall. 87” tall It’s got a wood platform that looks great but had to remove it from the bottom to get in this room. The only corner left in the house.

23-Jan-21
I’ll never forget what a renowned taxidermist told me when we were discussing a pedestal. That is, “You never look down on a trophy”. So you sure don’t want the mount’s eyes lower than yours.

23-Jan-21
Have you already started building your house, Mark, or just in the planning stages?

23-Jan-21
I agree, when I rotate some mounts out to my shop from the high ceiling living room. I will put the base on, which adds another 15” and move it out there.

23-Jan-21
No help here but have to say sweet bull there Jay!

ElkNut

23-Jan-21
Thanks Paul. Full disclosure. It was a rifle kill.

23-Jan-21
T-roy,

They are starting to finish sheetrock now. I have a 17' ceiling in my great room but I hope to put my mounts in my study/office. It has a 9' ceiling and is 12'x12'. I hadn't shoulder mounted anything for a while so my study was going to be more than adequate for the few shoulder mounts and the euros I've been doing lately. I had no plans on more shoulder mounts but I killed a nice elk. I would situate my pedastal in the same location as altitude sick's.

Is that mount actually setting in the corner like a lazy susan or is it parallel to one of the walls?

23-Jan-21
It’s kinda parallel. The far beam is almost touching the wall.

23-Jan-21
If you have the ability get removable antlers. Elk, Moose and wider Caribou are a nightmare to move with attached horns.

23-Jan-21
Just a thought...I think it was Pat L that had full sheets of plywood put up and then the drywall. Then you can screw into the wall anywhere without worried about missing a stud and punching a bunch of holes in the wall. Congrats on the new house.

23-Jan-21
Mike,

I had a lot of scrap 2x6 thru 2x10s left over. My plan was to install a bunch of cross pieces between the studs for that reason. Of course I was too busy bowhunting on my free time to get that done. :)

23-Jan-21
Plywood behind the Sheetrock!! Absolutely!! Keep the eyes at the viewers level or above. The eyes are the soul of the mount. Detachable antler, just one will work quite well but two is best. All my pets go out with detachable on at least one side unless they are record book and even then I encourage it once scored and recorded. Jim

23-Jan-21

MQQSE's embedded Photo
MQQSE's embedded Photo
Elk take up serious room no matter how you mount them. I still haven’t settled on where to put this one and we have had it for several years. To do it over again I honestly still don’t know if I would have gone this route.

23-Jan-21

Jasper's embedded Photo
Jasper's embedded Photo
Mark, here’s my pedestal mount. I made the pedestal myself. I don’t fully subscribe to the don’t look down rule, I love mine.

23-Jan-21

Walleyehunter02's embedded Photo
Not quite what your looking for or talking about, but here’s one I did for my dad.

23-Jan-21

Not quite what your looking for or talking about, but here’s one I did for my dad.

24-Jan-21
Jasper,

I like both of yours. What is the measurement from the bottom of the brisket to the top of the antlers on the bugling bull? Also, what is the ceiling height?

24-Jan-21

Rocky, here is the official B&C certified document

And there are some benefits to being lower. If it’s quality work, the details can be seen better

24-Jan-21

24-Jan-21

BIGERN's embedded Photo
BIGERN's embedded Photo
BIGERN's embedded Photo
BIGERN's embedded Photo
BIGERN's embedded Photo
BIGERN's embedded Photo
I had one done a few years ago and enjoy looking at it more than any shoulder mount. Being able to walk right up to it and see all the details is what I like the most. The base can be sized to allow it to fit your ceiling hight if you think it will be an issue, my base is 22' high with the finished mount @ 8'. It ends up about 5' off of the wall.The mount itself has a pin that goes into the base so it can be removed or rotated as you need. Get it done and I don't think you'll regret it!

24-Jan-21

Mr. Whitetail's embedded Photo
Here is one Dennis Razza did for me a few years ago.

24-Jan-21
Here is one Dennis Razza did for me a few years ago.

24-Jan-21

Better view

24-Jan-21

Inshart's embedded Photo
Inshart's embedded Photo

24-Jan-21
Mark, the answers to your questions are 64” and 9 feet

25-Jan-21
Good looking mounts fella's

Thanks for the idea's,