Buglmin 25-Jan-21
Dale06 25-Jan-21
DonVathome 26-Jan-21
pav 26-Jan-21
KY EyeBow 26-Jan-21
LKH 26-Jan-21
SteveB 28-May-21
24-Jan-21
I am thinking of starting to look into a elk hunt.. If you could only do one Elk hunt in your lifetime, had a budget of 6,000 without lic and travel fees where would look to?

I have 2 points in WY and none in any other states

DIY is not an option so that is off the tables. Thank you for your ideas and information

24-Jan-21

Bowboy's Link
I would contact Bo Stock from Savery Creek Outfitters. With only 2 points you'll probably need 3 to draw a general.

24-Jan-21
Thank you for the info. I should add I am not particularly in a rush so even if i have to wait a few more years, that is fine with me too.

24-Jan-21

Bowboy's Link
Also Elk Mountain Outfitters is another good outfit.

24-Jan-21
Forest Bows in Colorado is also a good outfit. He's on a Bowsite sponsor and outfitter.

24-Jan-21
Bear Mtn Outfitters out of Kremmling, CO. OTC archery but hunting on private land. Lots of elk, good operation. Booked full for archery this year but can try for 2022.

24-Jan-21
You need decided what you want in a elk hunt. Fancy lodge, more minimal accommodations, or horse back and wall tent? What type of terrain do you want to hunt? Would you prefer more opportunities but likely smaller bulls or less elk but better top in. Figure out what would be best for you then find a outfitter that can give you that.

When I read the negative outfitter reviews on here a lot of seem to come down to hunting style was not a good match between hunter and outfitter. For example if your not built for steep high country and cover lots of ground on foot. Your going to be miserable and outfitter won’t be able to get you on elk. Or if you expect to cover lots of ground on foot and hunt hard you will be frustrated with a outfit that driving from spot to spot. I bet if you pick the right one you will be figure out how to do it again!

24-Jan-21
John,

I am wide open to all options. I am in better then avg shape, so not worried about the hiking. Would love to do horseback, but being a city guy not sure how my body would handle that for long period of time. I would be happy with just being into elk, of course a 400 class elk would be great, but I honestly would be happy with anything even close to 280

24-Jan-21
bghunter...when you say you are in average shape.. trust me...start working at it lots more. I will pay huge in the long run. Being in shape will help you so much. I hunted with a couple younger guys who said oh ya I can do that. Right!!! They no longer hunt with me. To much work they claim.

24-Jan-21
One guided elk hunt, 6K+ budget - I’d look at NM.

24-Jan-21
I was in good shape for Elk hunting when my resting heart rate was 40. In Denver.

To me, just the airfare to Denver is a big chunk of the budget. And it has been a long time since I felt I could spring for a Bull tag.

So if I were thinking about dropping six grand plus tags and travel.....

The Number One consideration would be making sure that I was in shape for the kind of hunt that the outfitter was prepared to provide.

Because if you’re on foot, at altitude, and you have to Get There Fast... “above average condition” isn’t saying very dang much. If he’s going to put you up a tree to watch a hay field or a wallow, no big deal.

So if I were doing it… First thing would be to decide what a $6000 Elk Hunt ought to look like. Then I would double my expectations for how hard I thought I’d have to work, and then I would beat my ass into shape for it.

And if that doesn’t sound like fun, there’s always tuna fishing…

25-Jan-21
If you think you'll only want to hunt elk once after you do it then I have some Canadian pipeline I'd like to sell you, barely used.

25-Jan-21
"better than average shape" doesn't count for much when you go to altitude, if you can't breath, you can't move fast :-)

25-Jan-21

Stickit's Link
If you're looking for a horseback hunt in Wyoming you can't do better than Swift Creek Outfitters.

I've hunted with them 3 different times and am going back again in 2022.

25-Jan-21
I'm sorry I don't have any good info, but just wanted to echo Brotsky. . . . you'll want to go again and again. Elk hunting is absolutely the most fun you can have with your pants on

25-Jan-21
Brotsky x2. The first time I went (1993), I figured once, maybe twice .............. Well since 93, I've only missed going 2 or 3 times. Yup, like MANY on here "Elk-o-holic" for sure!

25-Jan-21
We have a rut elk bowhunt for $5000 USD plus tax and license, $5830 USD total cost. High opportunity and often high kill success rate. Not high elevation, stay in a lodge, easily hunt a different spot every day. Endless country to hunt, lots of elk, very few hunters around, not a high end trophy hunt though. You may also be able to do it as a combo hunt with moose but then it’s more money. I know the Canada border is closed right now but it should open eventually. Just throwing it in as another possibility. Www.mikesoutfitting.com

25-Jan-21

Mike Ukrainetz's Link

25-Jan-21
I have never done a guided elk hunt. (Done DIY 11 times). No one has ever said they were in too good of shape to elk hunt. But plenty have said they were not in good enough shape. Don't get me wrong, you can work through some discomfort, but you won't be as effective as some days might require. The day to day grind will chew you up. An outfitter can only control so many things. Your fitness isn't one of them.

25-Jan-21
Mike,

I will check out your website. Thank you for the information.

25-Jan-21
Me? I'd be hunting the Banded Peak Ranchs in Colorado or the Jicarilla Apache reservation. The Banded Peaks Ranch is unlike anything you'll ever experience, and you'll have multiple chances at good bulls. There is a video of a 373" bull killed in 2016 off the ranch, and they kill 300" plus bulls every year.

25-Jan-21
Lots of variables, but if in a USA western elk hunt, I would only go on private land, and at least 10,000 acres of private land.

26-Jan-21
Apply in NM guided until you draw. WY you have enough points for a general elk tag - look into pack trips into wilderness near yellowstone. There is no close third option that will give you that good of a hunt for quantity and quality in that price range.

Your WY points are going to make a big difference if you pick a good outfitter.

26-Jan-21
Elk hunts are much like Lays potato chips...you can't have just one!

26-Jan-21
+1 DonVathome

26-Jan-21
What DonV said. If you're only doing one, a horseback hunt will give you a lot more than just an elk.

Colorado has a lot of private ranches that get tags. Have seen some on the tv but it seems they mostly hunt younger age bulls.

28-May-21
"First thing would be to decide what a $6000 Elk Hunt ought to look like"

I agree with this! $6k doesn't get you what it used to. That used to get you a very HQ hunt and although there are still hidden gems out there....today....it is sadly just average at best unless you draw a good tag. BTW, someone above mentioned Banded Peaks ($7k) which is a wonderful suggestion....but getting an opening to go is quite another thing.

• Sitka Gear