t-roy 28-Jan-21
btnbuck 29-Jan-21
paul@thefort 29-Jan-21
Chief 419 29-Jan-21
btnbuck 29-Jan-21
deerhunter72 30-Jan-21
BigOk 31-Jan-21
25-Jan-21
Monday, January 25, goose field. 23 degrees and calm winds.

I had not seem many geese in the area for the past few days except those down town and around, eating what green grass available. The pasture and surrounding areas where I have been goose hunting are dry and without much, if any, green grass. No doubt the geese are looking elsewhere as there does not seem to be many in the area. I looked at the big lake yesterday and did not see any open water and drove around some and did not see any geese. But, with that in mind this morning, I just had to get out anyway. Last Friday Jerry and I hunted and Jerry made a good 30 yards shot on a goose, his first ever. At least a good way to rid of cabin fever to get out this morning and Chase was willing to go. He is always willing to go. So let go goose hunting!

25-Jan-21

paul@thefort's embedded Photo
The early morning was slow without any geese in the air. At 8:30 two geese show up, glide by, but fly elsewhere. Close but no brass ring.
The early morning was slow without any geese in the air. At 8:30 two geese show up, glide by, but fly elsewhere. Close but no brass ring.

25-Jan-21

later around 9:15, this flock shows up, shows interest, swings around the field twice and then decides to come in.
later around 9:15, this flock shows up, shows interest, swings around the field twice and then decides to come in.
closer, wings out gliding in
closer, wings out gliding in
closer, shot gun range!
closer, shot gun range!

25-Jan-21

committed for sure. wings back stroking.
committed for sure. wings back stroking.
on the ground and in bow range at 21 yards.
on the ground and in bow range at 21 yards.
I pick out the closest one and let the arrow fly. WACK!!!!
I pick out the closest one and let the arrow fly. WACK!!!!
Almost dead goose, but he is not going far, deadly hit.
Almost dead goose, but he is not going far, deadly hit.

25-Jan-21

Yep, dead goose and a very large one at that.
Yep, dead goose and a very large one at that.
Chase is eager to retrieve but I went out first and cleared the arrow. I lined him up and FETCH. off he went for the 100 time
Chase is eager to retrieve but I went out first and cleared the arrow. I lined him up and FETCH. off he went for the 100 time
I can almost read Chase's mind, "WOW, dad, this is a big one".
I can almost read Chase's mind, "WOW, dad, this is a big one".

25-Jan-21
Paul - Do you do much calling? Just curious how the local birds respond to calling or if they key in more on the decoys.

25-Jan-21
I call very lightly most often with clucks and come on ins', just to get their attention to the decoys.

25-Jan-21

Chase is having a hard time getting his mouth around this one.
Chase is having a hard time getting his mouth around this one.
but ends up dragging it back to the blind.
but ends up dragging it back to the blind.
Treats, hell yes!
Treats, hell yes!

25-Jan-21
Good for you,

25-Jan-21
Grab a wing Chase and take that sucker home ! Woohoo !

25-Jan-21

What's for dinner? Oh no, goose again!
What's for dinner? Oh no, goose again!
blood on the arrow is a good thing
blood on the arrow is a good thing

25-Jan-21

more high flyers came by during the next hour but no local yard hoppers appeared. A good morning I would say, and a good dose of medicine to get rid of cabin fever.
more high flyers came by during the next hour but no local yard hoppers appeared. A good morning I would say, and a good dose of medicine to get rid of cabin fever.

25-Jan-21
Nice job Paul and Chase! One of the hounds I was chasing lions with last week had only one eye. Made me think of Chase. Like Chase, Bonita didn't let the loss of an eye keep her from hunting. She was one of the best in the pack. Gotta love a dog's heart.

25-Jan-21
Well done Paul! Looks like you almost could have got another? Thanks for sharing.

25-Jan-21
Love it, great going!!

25-Jan-21
Hey Jeff, you are so correct, lot of heart.

Marty, Yea, if I was a little faster but I am taking it easy this year on the numbers of geese killed. I killed 17 last season and still have some ground meat for jerky and do not want to stock pile many.

25-Jan-21
This always brings a smile to my face. Well done, well done!

Do you ever get on lookers? People park along the road, watch from their yards, house, etc,.?

25-Jan-21
Bad place to be a goose!

25-Jan-21
Bob, no on lookers. Large properties away from other houses and I am away from the main road so people have no idea what is happening. The neighbors do not care and are usually gone for a couple of months as are the owners of the property. They like me there hunting and running the dog on off days as I keep an eye on the place and check most days. There were two young mountain lions sighted crossing the goose field right before Christmas, but they have moved off. I have seen mule deer, wt deer, coyotes, bobcats, fox, on this property. Very lucky to have this place to goose hunt.

25-Jan-21
Awesome! Do you know how much that goose weighed?

25-Jan-21
That was a big goose for sure. Chase got a good work out too. I enjoy your hunts and didn't have to get cold. I have a few more days of deer season but I have all I need in the freezer. It is snowing very lightly here on the Eastern Shore of Maryland but I don't think it will amount to much.

26-Jan-21

The goose in the foreground is the one I killed. You can see how much bigger he is compared to the others. His weight was 14.5 pounds. I should have measured his wingspan but did not.

26-Jan-21
Great pics as usual Paul, thanks for sharing! Congrats to you and Chase, that was a big bird, hope he got extra treats for that "oversized load".

26-Jan-21
3 for 3, the pressure is on to keep it up! Have fun out there, enjoy following along.

—Jim

26-Jan-21
delete double post

26-Jan-21
Wow, 14.5 is a monster! My dog had trouble with a 11 pounder last year, basically dragged it back to me. I think the biggest we have ever shot in New Mexico was 12.5, with most of the bigger ones in the 10-11 range, and of course some smaller ones.

26-Jan-21
Nice

26-Jan-21

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
Paul, if you posted in a previous thread about what happened to Chase’s eye I’ve forgotten. Reason I’m curious is that Sarge had to have his eye removed last fall. We had lots of infection but with massive doses of different antibiotics he finally turned the corner and is healed up nicely now. It’s still hard to see him with just one eye, but that blood trailing nose still works I’m sure.

26-Jan-21
Drycreek, Sarge is a very handsome dog and just looks like he's giving you a wink. Glad he still gets to do his job and bet he loves it!

26-Jan-21
AT the age of three, Chase lost his eye to a truck collusion after he chased a fox across the street and while returning. $3000 later and a visit to the CSU vet hospital, his eye was removed, a screen was inserted to prevent a lot of "caving in" of the eye socket, and then was stitched over. He did not have any after issues.. Chase did not seem to have any major issues hunting or retrieving in the following years. He has bumped into a few objects on that side but all in all, still a great dog and companion..

26-Jan-21
Sarge says thanks BOWNBIRDHNTR, but I’m just an ordinary Jack Russell Terrorist and we’re ALL handsome ! And yes, he has found several deer and many a hog for my friends and myself.

27-Jan-21
Congrats on another successful yard hopper hunt Paul! I'm thinking B&C goose for sure!

27-Jan-21
Paul, you might be right. A couple of years ago, I shot a very small goose in this very location, turned out be be a Lesser and weight around 4 pounds half the size of the Canada goose. I have never had a flock of Lessers decoy. The goose just adopted a flock of larger Canada geese. I know in South Dakota where I lived in the early 1970, we had some very large geese in the 12 - 14 # range.

27-Jan-21
Just an idea...

If you’re looking for another way to use the goose meat, you might try making it into summer sausage.

I made some last year and everyone couldn’t believe how good it was.

Just be careful, the grinder doesn’t like steel shot (although you shouldn’t have that problem with the archery equipment)

Keep it up. Love reading this thread every year! ;-)

27-Jan-21
Interesting, the summer sausage route. There could actually be a steel shot pellet in a goose from previously being shotgunned. To the OP, congrats on the goose and this is great reading, so thanks for sharing.

27-Jan-21
You've been having a great season Paul! No strikeouts!

I grew up on wheat fields on the edge of the Pacific Flyway. We shot alot of geese out of the fields..... amazing the variety of sizes even among the Canadian geese, from lessors not alot bigger than ducks, to the "common" I guess you'd call em..... and then the Honkers. Seems the bigger the geese the smaller their flocks, often just 6 or 8 geese with the Honkers... some of the lessors were flocks of hundreds.

28-Jan-21
btnbuck, can you send me your goose sausage recipe ?.. Love to try it.

Dale, TD, and everyone, thanks for following along. Makes it worthwhile putting it together. Yard Hooper Day 4 will start tomorrow, ie, Friday. Paul

28-Jan-21
Good luck to you and Chase tomorrow!

29-Jan-21
Paul, I used spices from P&S seasoning. It was their No. 500 Blue Ribbon Summer Sausage Seasoning. I used the thighs and breast of the birds and added a few lbs. of pork shoulder. You won't be disappointed. ;-)

Good luck to you and Chase today!!

29-Jan-21
What was the percentage of pork shoulder to goose meat?

29-Jan-21
Looking forward to Day 4.

29-Jan-21

btnbuck's embedded Photo
btnbuck's embedded Photo
They recommend more in the recipe, but I put in about 3 lbs pork shoulder or country style ribs (fatty pork vs pure fat) to 10lbs. Goose. I like it a little bit lean/healthier. High temp cheese optional.

30-Jan-21
Always enjoy these! Thanks again for sharing.

31-Jan-21
Thanks for sharing.

• Sitka Gear