JL 25-Jan-21
Shuteye 26-Jan-21
Bou'bound 26-Jan-21
spike buck 26-Jan-21
CurveBow 27-Jan-21
Wink501 27-Jan-21
spike buck 27-Jan-21
25-Jan-21
I’ve noticed that many N/W Ontario outfitters offer a deer muzzleloader hunt (at a reduced price) usually the last week of October just prior to their rifle hunts. Is this an effective time to hunt, and are their any restrictions on bringing real black powder over the border?

25-Jan-21
I hunted NW Ontario from 2006-2010. All but 2008 I hunted the rifle season 1st or 2nd week of Nov.. 2008 I hunted the last week of Oct with muzzleloader. Saw deer but mostly scouted because I stayed the next week and rifle hunted. I took pyrodex across the border at that time with no issues. Don’t know about now 11 years later ? I hunted Unit 8 near Dryden, do it yourself, no guide. Rented a cabin from a local outfitter and hunted crownland. Had great luck 06-08 put 2 bucks in the Ontario record book grossed 163 6/8” ,146”. Third buck grossed 145 +” but was a 9 pt so netted 135+”, didn’t make the book. After 2008 buck quality nose dived, hard winters, wolves and NR shooting small bucks. I saw bucks 09-10 but nothing I would shoot. If you are buying a guided hunt during MZ season, you will most likely hunting over bait.

25-Jan-21
You used to have to ship powder ahead or get outfitter to pick it up for you

25-Jan-21
The deer herd took a huge hit. I hunted it 2005 to 2014. In 14 there were n deer left. We hired 7b and 6. The deer near the farm land took less of a hit. I think the rainy river area that require a guide has some decent deer left

25-Jan-21
This is something I posted back in 2012 and updated it in 2019. This is stickied on a Michigan website for the ML users there. I just checked and the links still seem to work. I did find and passed on to the readers there in MI to review the Canadian definition of unloaded WRT ML's. That is a gotcha rule up there across the border.

"""Updated links:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-6-1-eng.html

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-13-2-eng.html

Also note their definition of "Unloaded"....which includes ML's. It's different than Michigan's regs for ML's.

Unloaded A firearm containing no ammunition, i.e., one in which any propellant powder, projectile or cartridge that is capable of being discharged from the firearm is not contained in the breech or firing-chamber nor in a cartridge magazine attached to or inserted into the firearm."""

26-Jan-21
For many years I only hunted with a bow, handgun or muzzle loader. This year they said we could use straight wall cartridge handguns or rifles. I had sold my 460 hand gun since I didn't think it would ever be legal in my county and I stopped hunting out of state. I just got a 350 Legend Ruger rifle but will have to wait until November to use it on deer. I can still bow hunt a few more days but have all the deer I need in my freezer. I will soon be 79 years old and hope I last long enough to try the rifle on deer.

26-Jan-21
You used to have to ship powder ahead or get outfitter to pick it up for you

26-Jan-21
No, can bring your own powder up... no issues there.

27-Jan-21
I've hunted Ontario many times There has never been an issue with muzzleloader powders nor were they ever questioned. At all....

27-Jan-21
Is the Muzzleloader time period of late October generally any good? I’m not even sure when the rut occurs in N/W Ontario.

27-Jan-21
Late October pre rut....

• Sitka Gear