Shiloh 01-Feb-21
WV Mountaineer 01-Feb-21
Shiloh 01-Feb-21
Scooby-doo 01-Feb-21
midwest 01-Feb-21
midwest 01-Feb-21
Shiloh 01-Feb-21
26-Jan-21
Does anyone know what kind of rope they are using to secure the sticks? Seems like a very small diameter and light weight.

26-Jan-21
Just guessing but I'm sure it's amsteel which most use when they change from a strap to rope mod. It has supper high strength for its small size.

26-Jan-21
Amsteel.

26-Jan-21
Amsteel.

26-Jan-21
I am using a flat strap on all my sticks now. Simple tie off and quick. Never have been crazy about amsteel. Its too thin unless you make it into a daisy chain! Shawn

26-Jan-21
Thanks!

26-Jan-21
1/8” amsteel blue has a tensile breaking strength of 2500 pounds. Thin or not, it’s the strongest rope on the planet for size. Different stokes for different folks.

I use it on my sticks. It’s ‘da bomb. Trust me, it’ll hold you, your family, your neighbors family, their cousins, and the dogs.

28-Jan-21
Its not about strength, its about ease of use and for me amsteel just is a PIA. Shawn

28-Jan-21
Ok. I don’t understand that but, you have your reasons.

29-Jan-21
Whitley09, It looks like the line is not knotted, but wedged into slots on a block, is that right? Amsteel can be slippery and not good for most commonly known knots.

Scooby-do, "Simple tie off" - What hitch/knot are you using, and is that tubular nylon you are using?

29-Jan-21
WV - the stuff is amazing. Curious, are you using it daisy chained? I know a few guys who use it on sticks and I have not. These Tethrd sticks have a little device they made to secure it. Curious how you do it.

It's crazy light and strong.

29-Jan-21
I use it with a loop that’s buried on one end to go over my versa button. I buried the tag end as well for about 10 inches to put some weight and stiffness on it. To make tossing it around the tree easier if it’s a bigger tree.

I hook my loop over my button, wrap my rope around the tree, hook it underneath the loop, continue around the button and put an over hand loose knot holding it all.

Pinching it with the rope holds but, I like having the knot as reassurance. Plus it helps me contain some of the loose tag end. And, takes about 1 more second.

You are right. It is indeed incredible stuff. And with generics available, you can buy 50 feet for under $20. I made an adjustable bridge, going to finish replacing all my hang on cables with it, etc... it’s just incredible stuff.

Something for you to look into Will and Shawn. I’m sure Nick already has since he was doing this before it was cool. Check out “two tether climbing system” on you tube.

I like my modified sticks. But, I’ve been fooling around with a two tether climbing system on the weekends. I Just received everything to make one up as it should be. Instead of horsing around without the leg loop.

I’m pretty sure that’s what I’m going to go with next year most of the time. It weighs like 11 ounces with foot tube and leg loop. It is very easy to climb with too. And, can fit in your cargo pocket of your pants.

Just remember, amsteel isn’t considered climbing rope. It has zero stretch. It’s only downfall is it will scuff after a lot of use. So, just keep an eye on them. The guys that’s been using Amsteel to climb with have hundreds of climbs on theirs with no concerns. But, it’s a make your own mind up kinda thing.

I’m probably going to go to a climbing rope next year and just use it as my only tether. That away I can repel down. But, I’ll know if I’m going to stick with the two tether system by then. And, with the price of climbing rope, you gotta be sure that’s what you want to do. lol.

29-Jan-21
Here's a recent very unbiased review of the Tethrd One Sticks.

30-Jan-21
I am using tubular flat strap rated at 2500#s but they say half so 1250#s working strength. I use the cinch around and under strap back up around front and wrap around button once than a hitch left loose. I do not like the way the new Tethrd sticks attch with the figure 8 thingy. I just watch several new reviews on You Tube and they say noisy, dont give ya much room for your boot(foothold) and not super strong material for steps. Shawn

30-Jan-21
What are you using for sticks, Shawn?

30-Jan-21
I saw these in person a month or two ago. A friend of mine had a set to demo for Tethrd and he loves them. Light for sure and will do the trick if sticks are your thing for climbing and you want to shave the weight. I really can't justify the pricetag myself over other options out there. Me personally, I am working to try and fit my entire setup in my pack; steps included. I'm more about less metal clanging on branches/ brush for less detection on run/gun setups. Was going to buy some Wild Edge steps last year but the season was almost over at that point so I held off. Best of luck with these of you decide to get the Tethrd as they looked like a quality product. TODDY

30-Jan-21
Thanks Midwest for the video. I could never justify using them with the small foot space. Had the reviewer flipped the Tethrd section in the same orientation as the other brand, the lack of a good standoff would have been quite visible, and sliding one brand under another would have been pointless.

IMHO, the one big bad point negates the many other good points, thumbs down here.

Scooby-do, " I use the cinch around and under strap back up around front and wrap around button once than a hitch left loose." LOL! You could say that again and I still wouldn't get it. Knots and lashings have names, but I gather you are doing your own thing, which I don't condem, but a photo could save a lot of wording.

01-Feb-21
I am using Shikars now and a set of custom built by me. Pretty much like the double steps beast using parts from several manufacturers. Go to you tube for the pinch tie I use. Shawn

01-Feb-21
After visiting saddlehunter, It seems that the standoffs are most reviewers and possible buyers negative feelings. So, I’m guessing I was wrong when I stated it wasn’t that big a deal to most users. My current hawk steps don’t bother me. Though, I certainly wouldn’t want them any shorter. So, if they are shorter then that, then they might be a real pain to use. Literally.

If I was looking to buy sticks, I’d certainly consider these. The weight makes them hard not to. I don’t know if I could spend that much on them. But, I’d consider it for sure.

I really got to tell you fellas, if your plan is like Toddy’s, trying to get everything in one pack, the two tether system is going to be hard to beat. Look into it. I’m waiting on a leg band that should make it easy as climbing stairs. From what I’ve been told. We will see.

01-Feb-21
WV, one of my biggest challenges in accomplishing my end goal is all of the freaking clothes I need to haul! Lol! It's generally pretty cold when hunting the rut in the upper midwest. I always walk out cold hauling my warm clothes. Climbing safely with larger warm boots on is always a concern then too so I need to be careful with the aider setup I use. Thinking 5-6 steps to get to shooting height with a single aider step in between. Thought the WE steps would be a good choice. Again, much more in my price range vs the new Tethrd steps. TODDY

01-Feb-21
WV......have you looked at the One Sticking videos on YouTube? I like the looks of that better than the two tether. Seems like a lot less ropes to get tangled in??

01-Feb-21
Same here toddy. A lot of places I hunt it’s a long way in one direction. So, I hauled everything last year on a Kifaru framed pack. Do, I can pack animals out too. I bought a D3 bag just for that reason. I put a diy meat shelf and put everything else in the bag.

Shiloh, I have. I even do it go some degree with my saddle harness when my three steps and aiders didn’t get me high enough. Last year was rough though. I hurt my right knee pretty bad and I never could bend it far enough to use the double step aiders well. At 18” apart, I had to climb by only using my left leg. Made it tough with aiders. lol

Anyways, I like a platform. I bought the podium from out on a limb. And one sticking with that would be tough. Gets my aiders too far from the tree. I could never see myself going to a true one stick with small platform though.

However, I do believe if this leg band works well, I’ll just buy a 40’ piece of canyon 9mm and use it as my only tether. And repel out when I’m done. Still a two tether climb but a lot safer and quicker descent.

I made a leg band this weekend but, it kept coming unglued. So, I really didn’t trust it much. So, I found a fella that makes them and bought one yesterday. From what I can tell now, it should make it easy or way to climb. Without it wasn’t hard but, kicking out was a real concern.

01-Feb-21
I've used Wild Edge steps all fall with a Tetherd saddle and platform. I like the steps and have gotten much fast with them, but carrying 6 or 7 of them adds a good bit of weight. It's not a deal killer and I might just continue with that system. I have everything in a Hornhunter Pack and I wear my saddle in. It's a pretty economical system.

01-Feb-21
Knaider/Swaider for first stick gets me 7 ft than just the knaider for the next 3 sticks and I can be 24 or 25 ft. My total pack with sticks(4 shikars 6#s 5 oz with flat straps)lots of clothes, hornhunter pack and platform I am at 23#s. Get the heated vest and the heated under wear from Pnuma and cut the amount of clothes you need to less than half.

01-Feb-21
I used 4 WE stepps and knaider/swaider all season. Very compact and lightweight but I found the stepps don't work on all trees. Like trees with real deep, coarse bark.

I considered trying the one stick method and although it's about as minimalist as you can get, it's still going to be slower, likely noisier, and a bit of a pain.

I feel climbing with sticks is just more comfortable and quicker to get up the tree so I'm willing to give up some compactness and a little weight. I'll probably end up using 3 or 4 sticks and a versa aider next season. It's all about balance and finding what works best for the individual.

01-Feb-21

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Everything for climbing and hanging up to 20 feet.

The stepps are in a holster I 3D printed that hangs on one side of my saddle.

01-Feb-21
I like it Midwest. I have a knaider/swaider I just haven’t practiced with them yet. Hope to cut down to 4 steps

• Sitka Gear