BigStriper 27-Jan-21
Spiral Horn 27-Jan-21
Spiral Horn 27-Jan-21
Dale06 28-Jan-21
LINK 28-Jan-21
WYOelker 28-Jan-21
Mt. man 28-Jan-21
27-Jan-21
Looking at getting some new binoculars this year before turkey hunting season starts and use for whitetail also. Is there a noticable difference between 10x42 and 10x50? I know the power is the same but is the 50 gonna really bring in that much more light? Looking at vortex viper models and the 50s are about 50$ more. Thanks for the help guys

27-Jan-21
If I remember right if you take the objective size divided by the power, you get the exit pupil of the binoculars in MM. 10 x 50 = 5.00 MM, 10 x 42 = 4.20 MM, 8 x 42 = 5.25 MM. I think the human eye can dilate up to 8.00 MM. I use 8 x 42 for whitetails and turkeys and they work great here in the midwest. However my next pair will be 10 x 50 for more specialized use.

27-Jan-21
10x is hard to hold steady. A good 8x42 is plenty for deer and turkeys.

27-Jan-21
I have 10x42 now but they are an older bushnell XLT and want to stay with the 10x as the Turkey hunts I go on are usually big open field and want to see a long ways. And will be using them for gun season where I can shoot at longer distances. And for bow hunting out of a treestand also

27-Jan-21
I would not get the 50s if you going to spend a lot of time carrying them around. If they are going to mostly be used at the truck I'm sure you would like the 50s. I use 10x42 Swaro SLC and and can not image needing 50's. A tip you are trying to see a "long ways" as you say mount them on tripod. You won't believe the difference that makes.

27-Jan-21
I’ve had them all and the ones I carry every hunt are my 12x50 EL’s . I use them on a tripod or I’m sitting down with my elbows on my knees to steady them. If I’m hunting turkeys I take a Primos shooting stick and use it to glass off then to shoot off if I’m hunting them with a shotgun. I just sold a pair of 8.5x42 EL because I like these 12x50’s so much and I wasn’t ever using the 8.5’s. When glassing even 300 yards in cloudy, dark weather it can be tough but these 12x50’s are the best I’ve ever owned, their not magic but very, very good!

27-Jan-21
No advantage to the 50's. The adult eye will only open to a little over 4mm. That's why manufacturers originally went with 8x32, 10x42 etc. The bigger objective craze was a marketing thing and consumers suck it up.

27-Jan-21
Not exactly true. "The diameter of the (entrance) pupil of the human eye varies with the degree of illumination over the approximate range 2mm to 8mm.4 (The larger end of this range is only normally available to those of wide-eyed youth under particularly dark conditions.) A large exit pupil therefore allows more of the natural aperture of the eye to be utilized under darker conditions and hence a brighter image on the retina (at least for extended objects) to be obtained. " Taken from medical journal.

27-Jan-21
Personally hate my 50s. Wish I stayed with my 42s :(

27-Jan-21
Personally hate my 50s. Wish I stayed with my 42s :(

27-Jan-21
Look at the size and weight difference. I have 10x50 and 10x42 binos. I carry the 50's in my truck only.

27-Jan-21
10x42's are fine, you won't need the 50's and Vortex are pretty good glass for the money.

27-Jan-21
Owned many binoculars over the years and really like glassing. In general, 10x42s will cover a very wide variety of hunting situations and are the glass I most often reach for. Had 10x50s but noticed they ended up staying in the truck more often than not.

Also, if you can squeeze it, I’d recommend a better quality glass. There’s a world of difference and they’ll provide many years of enjoyment. Leica Trinovid or Nikon HG (there are others) are both great binos for about $1k. CameraLand NY is a great resource. In my experience Vortex are optically overrated - although I like the company. Buy once, cry once.

27-Jan-21
Owned many binoculars over the years and really like glassing. In general, 10x42s will cover a very wide variety of hunting situations and are the glass I most often reach for. Had 10x50s but noticed they ended up staying in the truck more often than not.

Also, if you can squeeze it, I’d recommend a better quality glass. There’s a world of difference and they’ll provide many years of enjoyment. Leica Trinovid or Nikon HG (there are others) are both great binos for about $1k. CameraLand NY is a great resource. In my experience Vortex are optically overrated - although I like the company. Buy once, cry once.

28-Jan-21
I would not get 50 mm. I have 10x32 and have hunted dark timber for elk, mountains for sheep, forest for white tails fields for turkey, and most everything in between. I have never regretted not carrying around the extra weight.

28-Jan-21
10x42 give you a nice size with ample view. I love my Zeiss conquest HD 10x42s.

28-Jan-21
Maven C1 10x42... Really good glass at a great price by a local company. All my glass is going Maven. They are better than Vortex at the same price point and have the same warranty. The difference is they sold me on the glass and quality, where as vortex sells you on the warranty...

28-Jan-21
In the open country where I live and my age creeping into the 5-0 stage I bumped up to the Leupold BX-5 SANTIAM HD 12X50MM and love them. 8x just don't cut it for the open 1,000 spotting here. I love the Leupold glass. My wife has some Leupold BX-1 MCKENZIE 10X42MM and she loves them as well. Good luck with your choice.

• Sitka Gear