Kannuck 01-Feb-21
Tim Hoeck 04-Feb-21
t-roy 04-Feb-21
Muleysareking 04-Feb-21
SIP 04-Feb-21
t-roy 04-Feb-21
eddie c 05-Feb-21
30-Jan-21
I have an idea and was wondering if anyone has tried it with success or failure. I have a blind still up for late goose and we're supposed to get some snow early in the week. I was thinking about burning a candle in the blind to keep the temperature high enough to prevent the snow from building up and collapsing the blind. I live very close and can check up on it multiple times during the day. -Jeff

30-Jan-21
Not sure a candle would do it... Maybe a little propane heater? Close the windows, turn it on, and just go give it a look a few times over the day to be sure it's ok?

Or use 2X4's to prop up the blind inside?

30-Jan-21
Put a shower curtain rod in the middle under the hub. You can adjust it for tension and the roof should not collapse.

30-Jan-21
I highly doubt a candle would generate anywhere near enough heat to keep the snow melted off the roof. There are telescoping poles that have a plastic hub that fits over the center hub of the roof section. They work very well at supporting and preventing that roof section from collapsing. Primos, and HME and possibly others makes one. You can also make one out of a telescoping painter’s roller handle. I’ve also just cut a sapling the right length, and used that.

The biggest negative if just using a sapling, painters pole, etc, is they have a tendency to slip off of the top hub when it’s windy or with a snow load, and can possibly poke a hole through the fabric in the roof.

30-Jan-21
What Troy said. Candle, not enough heat. Get a support rod, one made specifically for hub blinds, or make your own.

30-Jan-21
I've done this before with success. If by chance your blind is next to some trees, run a line between two trees a couple of feet above the blind. Then tie a line between the top of blind at the hub eye bolt and the horizontal line you tied between the two trees. Make sure the slack is out of the lines.

30-Jan-21
Buy a support rod. Primos makes one. I just bought one from Amazon, stronger than the Primos version. I think it was about $35.

30-Jan-21
I use 2 1"x1" x 3-4' long pieces of wood. Put a dimple (hole) in the end of one that will fit over nut in the roof hub. Put the 2 in place to make the correct length (height) and duct tape them together. Zip strip work too.

30-Jan-21
Use a rod like they do in bed of pick up to keep cargo from sliding around in bed, their adjustable and pretty strong.

Kurt

30-Jan-21
Mr Heater Buddy will work while you're hunting.

If you intend to leave the blind in place overnight, just cut a section of 1.5" about 1/2 to 3/4 inches taller than the measurement to the top hub and use it as a support. It will keep the ceiling from collapsing under the weight of snow and ice.

30-Jan-21
Put a plastic tarp over it. The tarp will shed snow far better than the cloth fabric of the blind. Works on wall tents.

30-Jan-21
Mr. Heater

30-Jan-21
i was a musician for many years and I use one of the stands that supports a speaker. It has three legs and is adjustable in height. I cut the bottom off of a plastic apple juice bottle to put over the top of the stand so it isn't sharp. I put it in the middle of the blind and raise up up to the top of the blind and it works great. It is also aluminum so it doesn't rust. When it isn't going to snow the stand legs fold up and I lower the pole down and store it in the blind. At least I can use some of my music stuff now that I have a crippled left hand and can't play any more. I gave most of my expensive stuff to my son. He is a professional musician in Nashville.

31-Jan-21
I would be surprised if a candle produces enough heat to melt the snow. If you live close enough to check on it multiple times a day... couldn’t you just wipe the snow off? Maybe just leave the blind there and collapse it place before it snows. Set it up again after it snows. I use a pvc pipe that I put a cap socket on the ground end off the pvc pipe to help prevent it from digging into the ground if it is not frozen. I cut the main PVC pipe about 6” shorter then the hub height of the blind. I then use a coupler with smaller piece of pipe for the desired length (the space between the ground and the center hub is not always the same). The top of the pipe is not capped which help keep it in place with the hub.

31-Jan-21
I have seen sticks in the bush that can be cut to the right length to be propped up in the blind with pressure to keep the roof up.

31-Jan-21
I made an adjustable support pole for my DB. Half inch thin wall conduit inside of three quarter inch. A large washer on each end and adjustment holes to get the proper tension.

31-Jan-21
If you're close enough to check on it during the day, give a shake while your there....

31-Jan-21
I would be surprised if a candle produces enough heat to melt the snow. If you live close enough to check on it multiple times a day... couldn’t you just wipe the snow off? Maybe just leave the blind there and collapse it place before it snows. Set it up again after it snows. I use a pvc pipe that I put a cap socket on the ground end off the pvc pipe to help prevent it from digging into the ground if it is not frozen. I cut the main PVC pipe about 6” shorter then the hub height of the blind. I then use a coupler with smaller piece of pipe for the desired length (the space between the ground and the center hub is not always the same). The top of the pipe is not capped which help keep it in place with the hub.

31-Jan-21
You will need a massive candle to meet your intended Purpose.

01-Feb-21
We use pieces of 2" black pvc pipe (like you use for plumbing). Cut to the right length and notch the top so it fits in the "hub" of your supports. Works great.

04-Feb-21
I use a treking pole in the middle when I'm not in it. I have a snow camo cover for my popup blind

04-Feb-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Just don’t use Roman candles! :-(

04-Feb-21

Muleysareking's embedded Photo
Muleysareking's embedded Photo
Ya say ground blinds and snow? Will this work?

04-Feb-21
I think its clear that your risk is not having a candle thats too large. Your risk is that your candle is too small.

04-Feb-21
Are you asking one of those does for a light for that candle, Muleysareking?? ;-)

05-Feb-21
If I was going to use an open flame I would use the canned heat catering services use to keep food warm on severing table. But with my luck I would burn the blind down.

• Sitka Gear