t-roy 06-Feb-21
Tater 06-Feb-21
JohnMC 06-Feb-21
JL 06-Feb-21
Jaquomo 06-Feb-21
bigeasygator 06-Feb-21
BULELK1 07-Feb-21
05-Feb-21
Might have been up here before but what's the best iphone solar charger out there today

05-Feb-21
From best I can tell none are very practical when looking at weight/size vs the time to charge. A battery bank/portable charge that weighs a few ozs, will charge your phone several times and cost $25 bucks give or take. It will charge your phone at night while you sleep or when it is cloudy outside.

05-Feb-21
I've got a battery bank....it's good for maybe a charge and a half. The plus.....I can charge the battery bank with my cell phone cord. I can recharge it with the truck or if I have a 12v battery laying around. I got mine for using OnX on my phone. Using the OnX app seems to go thru the cell phone battery. I did see a guy with a solar charger strapped to his back pack. I'm guessing he was charging a GPS or cell phone as he was hunting/hiking. I have no idea how well it worked.

05-Feb-21
Have you downloaded the area you are hunting onto your phone so it doesn't have to load it?My buddy has used the small power packs.

05-Feb-21
I used a goal zero nomad in Alaska...Charged the power pack at camp during the day when needed and charged my phone at night. It worked fine for me....

06-Feb-21
Small battery bank by anker is what I have.

06-Feb-21

BULELK1's embedded Photo
DUALPOW 30,000 mAh
BULELK1's embedded Photo
DUALPOW 30,000 mAh
I've had real good fortune with this one

About $25 on A-Prime

Good luck, Robb

06-Feb-21
I’ve got a Goal Zero, and it works well.......if the sun shines. Did an Alaskan moose hunt several years back, and we saw actual sunshine for about 4 hrs total, on one afternoon. The small power packs would be a better route to go, IMO.

06-Feb-21
This technology is all new to me. I’m 7 days with no electric in September so which would be better. Solar or battery pack. How do you charge battery pack

06-Feb-21

JohnMC's Link
This one is similar to the one I have. It is $45 dollars and says it will charge a iphone - 7 times, weighs 12 ozs. Unless you are planning on using your phone more than most on a hunt I can't imagine draining that on a seven day hunt. If you think you will only need to charge your phone every two or three days. You can get a lighter one and spend about 1/2 that.

06-Feb-21
^...Amazon Prime has it at $39

06-Feb-21
Another vote for the Anker Powercore. Problem with solar is that you need sun, it trickle charges, and the sun only shines during the day when you're presumably using the phone to navigate, map, log waypoints, etc..

If you download maps ahead of time and put your phone on airplane mode except when you need to call somebody, that little Anker should keep you powered for a week, no problem. Especially if you don't keep your phone on from daylight to dark every day and not sure why you would need to do that anyway.

06-Feb-21
Been a few years since I've looked super hard at any of the new options, but my go to is a Dark Energy Poseidon as a battery pack. They are bombproof and a lot less sensitive to the elements than other battery packs I've used.

I pair the Poseidon with a Suntactics S5 solar charger. It weighs less than a half a pound and is one of the more efficient, light weight chargers on the market.

I generally run the Poseidon as needed and use the Suntactics to recharge it during the day. I've had pretty good luck with that method

07-Feb-21
Make sure ya get one that not only charges it's self but keeps charging the device plug into it.

My first one I bought about 6 years ago did Not do both.....So I would have to unplug it to let it charge in the sun....then plug it in to charge the device, what vicious circle jerk! haha

Good luck, Robb

• Sitka Gear