goyt 19-Feb-21
Bob H in NH 19-Feb-21
keepemsharp 19-Feb-21
Chuckster 19-Feb-21
keepemsharp 19-Feb-21
Screwball 19-Feb-21
Lewis 19-Feb-21
06-Feb-21
Well after having two knee surgeries when I was in my twenties , and been dealing with ongoing problems for the last 25 years , I am finally getting a full knee replacement on 2/15. Saw the doctor few weeks and said my knee was probably one of the worst he has ever seen. Knee is bone-on-bone , no cartilage left , bone spurs , bad arthritis , and fluid . Guys that had this surgery how bad is the recovery , and how bad is the pain ?

06-Feb-21
Surgery is a piece of cake but for five weeks those PT ladies will kill ya. Good luck.

06-Feb-21
A friend had both his replaced when he was 56. He had like 6 surgeries on his before doing the replacement. He said he was in pain after the surgery but it was a different kind of pain that subsided as time went on. He was diligent with the rehab and 6 weeks later he was back to work. A year later he was pretty much healed up. He still experienced some discomfort on occasion from the scar tissue but hasn’t had to go in to get them cleaned up. This was in 2012 or 13. Rehab is very important. He started rehab within a week and really worked hard. It wasn’t easy doing both knees at once but he didn’t want to be laid up and out of work twice.

06-Feb-21
My good buddy just had both of his done four weeks apart. Tough guy alway been indestructible. He wasn’t ready for for the pain during rehab. Toughing it out and now his legs are straight and looking forward to hunting the mountains and playing hockey next year. Good luck!!

06-Feb-21
I'm 66 and have had both knees replaced, not at the same time. with the first, it came down to having it done or quitting hunting. 1 year after the second my brother and I archery hunted in Idaho, walking 5-6 miles a day. Yes, there is pain during the rehab but it gets better every day - it's not like the constant, unchanging knee pain prior to the surgery. Probably for the first week, you'll be wondering why you had the surgery. but after that, as you improve, you kick yourself for not doing it sooner. Good luck. contact me if you have any specific questions.

06-Feb-21
I'm 66 and have had both knees replaced, not at the same time. with the first, it came down to having it done or quitting hunting. 1 year after the second my brother and I archery hunted in Idaho, walking 5-6 miles a day. Yes, there is pain during the rehab but it gets better every day - it's not like the constant, unchanging knee pain prior to the surgery. Probably for the first week, you'll be wondering why you had the surgery. but after that, as you improve, you kick yourself for not doing it sooner. Good luck. contact me if you have any specific questions.

06-Feb-21
Had a right knee total about 8 years ago. No other choice as just being able to sleep was a chore. Pain was intense for a month but at day 30 it was like a light switch cut on. Best and really only decision I had . Good luck !

06-Feb-21
sounds like your knee is really really bad or your doctor is really really new. good move getting it done...... at least it's a step towards progress and without it every step was a step in the wrong direction.

06-Feb-21

Sunset 's embedded Photo
Sunset 's embedded Photo
After enduring knee pain and multiple shots in both knees for years, I finally opted for total knee replacement surgery on my left knee in December 2019. Had total knee replacement on my right knee in December 2020 (7 1/2 weeks ago). Yes, there is a lot of pain for the first several weeks but with each passing week you’ll be improving instead of deteriorating. I cannot stress enough that you must push the physical therapy as hard as you possibly can and then push it more! No pain - no gain!

10 months after my first knee replacement, Castle Oak and I bowhunted elk in SW Montana. He killed a bull on day 13 of our diy hunt in a hellhole canyon full of blowdowns. Took us all day to pack him up out of that hellhole but the replaced knee held up just fine. Now after the second knee replacement, I hope to be even better this coming September and pack another one out. I’ll turn 70 this year.

Regardless of the pain, put in the hard work during physical therapy and afterwards - it will pay great dividends. Never underestimate hard work and determination - keep grinding.

06-Feb-21
Two of my younger brothers had knee replacement. The pain for a few days or week is pretty rough as is some of the PT. But both said best thing they’ve ever done and would do it again.

06-Feb-21
Had my left one done all was fine until I figured out a way to dislocate it twice I can’t describe how painful that was. I had another surgery in October and the surgeon replaced the bottom and put in a much larger piece that went much deeper it is definitely more stable.Good luck and I hope it works out well for you.Lewis

06-Feb-21
Good luck with your knee replacement. I had my right knee done 7 years ago in late Dec (55 years old). Rehab was painful for the first 3 weeks for me but it continually got better. My mom had her knee done and she was up and about in two weeks with no pain so it all depends. Let the PT folks know what your future plans are and stick with the routine they setup for you. I told them I planned on a 10 day canoe trip to the BWCA/Quetico in June (6 months after surgery) and they had me ready for it. I also went elk hunting in Sept for 2 weeks. I have no complaints and have been doing much better then the 5 years leading up to my replacement.

06-Feb-21
Had it done a bit over 2 years ago. Best thing I could have done

Ask if they do a nerve block, ask for it. Made my first 2 days pain free.

The first couple PT sessions are going to suck. But you have to get that joint moving. Once your quads wake up then you can really progress. DO THE PT RELIGIOUSLY. You will have to do it yourself 2 to 3 times a day to make progress, do what they say, don't over do it, that can be equally bad

Get that range of motion back, it's going to hurt, but its just muscles pulling. If you don't progress the PT will bend and straighten it for you and that WILL HURT

Out the other end its worth it to walk, hike etc pain free

06-Feb-21
Had a knee replacement last Mar. several days before the lock down. cannot express the PT dedication follow up and continue afterwards. Spent last fall falling down in the woods from snags but has progressively been better. Time and patients is everything, at 69 have been through 7 knee surgeries and the replacement is an different experience do to putting in an artificial joint and just takes time for the mind to except it, keep telling myself that I cannot break it and just push on.

06-Feb-21
My wife has had both replaced, one at a time in the last 2 years. 1st one was bone on bone. She was 64 and 65 at time of surgeries. Best thing she has ever done. Key to success is PT. Yes some pain invloved but keep at it and it will be worth it.

06-Feb-21
Had both done I am 58. 8 months apart four years ago. Only regret was waiting as long as I did. Knees were same as you describe. Originally hurt first one while logging when I was 14. Be diligent about your PT. DO NOT do more than your PT prescribes, follow the plan. Pain is relevant, compared to the pain when prior to surgery the recovery was a piece of cake. Ice is your friend!

06-Feb-21
Had my left knee done March, 2014 due to bone on bone, arthritis, etc. Best thing I ever had done. I am currently 6 1/2 weeks post op for my right knee replacement. I will second the nerve block someone suggested. I had in home PT for the first 2 weeks 3X per week. He told me to ice for 20 minutes before I got up in the morning, again after every PT session even on the days he didn't show up and again at night before I went to sleep. I'm currently doing PT 2X per week at a PT facility and 2-3X per week at home on my own. You need to give it a break a couple days a week. Also, I increased my protein intake to around 200 grams per day including a protein shake with iso whey protein (3 scoops) and banana every night before bed. While in recovery, my quad very sore. The surgeon told me they used a cuff around my thigh to restrict blood flow during the procedure. My quad was very sore for the first 4-5 weeks however it is doing pretty good now. I attribute the quick recovery of my quad to my increased protein intake. A couple weeks after surgery, I got a little lazy with working to straighten out my leg and the hamstring started to tighten up to the point I couldn't straighten my leg when walking. It took a painful session to regain that range of motion again but its doing good now. Even though I'm 6 1/2 weeks post op, I feel I am ahead of schedule compared to my first replacement.

06-Feb-21
Had my right one done back in June, 2015. Took a month off, went back to work in July, hunted hard in September and got an elk and moose that year.

The PT situation has been discussed.

Proprioception is something they don't really tell you about, at least my doctor didn't.

My doctor also told me I couldn't stop a pig in a ditch, the shape my right knee was in.

06-Feb-21
Thanks for all the responses, glad to see the people that had it done had very good results. I played a bunch of sports at a high level , I have no trouble with working hard and getting to a end result .

06-Feb-21
Pope,

My wife had her first on November 18. For her it took about 5 weeks of pain meds, reducing after week 3. She admits to a low pain tolerance though.

This is the first weekend she has come up to our cabin since surgery. She was released last week from weekly rehab. She is 64 and glad she did it.

Had a well recommended surgeon. Do your exercises, they are painful she says, but helps immensely in regaining full motion.

Good luck!

06-Feb-21
One of the biggest pains was the groin-high compression socks, they said they were concerned about clots. I was 75 don't know if that was a factor. These PT ladies are good people but they WILL hurt you :)

06-Feb-21
I had left knee done January 2020. I was bone on bone I did prescribed exercises for the month before the surgery. Surgery went fine first two weeks after surgery were painful. Pain gradually subsided over the next few weeks. Physical therapy was not that bad. They push you to get back to normal. I was golfing in March, and did a pretty strenuous elk hunt in September. Best of luck. You won’t be sorry after the first few weeks.

06-Feb-21
I’ve had both replaced and then had to have a revision knee. Your recovery will only be as good as what you put into your rehab. I was at a fellas house and he was walking with a cane. He had a replacement and had limited leg movement. I asked about rehab. He said it hurt too much. He was going to go have the doctor put him under and then bend the knee to get movement out of it. Dumb! So long story short I had mine done in March and was walking 10-12 miles a day in September elk hunting. The other guy is the same age as I am is still using a cane to walk years latter. Could have been avoided had he done his rehab.

06-Feb-21
I had had both replaced at once 11 years ago. Rehab is ugly as others have said, but keep your focus on the long term benefit and you should be fine. End result has been miraculous for me. I'm still guiding elk hunters 10 weeks a year, running pack in fishing trips all summer and skiing over 75 days a year. I wouldn't be able to do any of this if I hadn't gotten the replacements. Stay strong, work hard and you'll be amazed how much better off you will be.

07-Feb-21
Hey Guys,

Just curious for those who are post recovery, where you able to ever achieve 120 degrees ROM and have you been able to keep it?

07-Feb-21
i had my knee done with an almost identical situation as yours presurgery, ill say this and you believe it, the recovering and pt pain are zero compared to the pain prior to everyday walking before the replacement. I had one of the best knee Dr's in America, he always says, strengthen your quads! I walked 40 + miles in Nebraska this year hunting,, zero pain, theres the proof....

07-Feb-21
MEL43, Yes. With my first knee replacement, I reached 120 degrees ROM in 8 weeks. With my second, I reached 120 degrees ROM in 5 weeks and I’m at 130 degrees now - will be 8 weeks post surgery tomorrow.

Pope125 - good luck with yours!

07-Feb-21
120 degree range of motion within 5 weeks each knee. Still have it an more. I still trap water and land. Putting in coyote traps is all on your knees work.

07-Feb-21
Thanks guys. 105 degrees now at 7 weeks.

07-Feb-21
MWL43, I was at 95 degrees when I was discharged. Tuesday I was at 127 degrees and Friday was 130 degrees. In 2 days I will be 7 weeks post op.

keepemsharp, forgot about those lovely compression socks. They suck, they're uncomfortable but they might save your life. Your age was not a factor (I'm 57) in wearing them. Everybody gets them.

07-Feb-21
105 degrees at 7 weeks is slow progress , however pain toleration is different in everyone, the longer that the rehab is drug out the longer and harder imo it becomes, you have to push yourself. Harder...good luck

07-Feb-21
I am 2 years out and well over 120 deg. It's the straightness part I loose if I don't work it

07-Feb-21
I’m a PT so I get paid to inflict pain on you guys. I always tell my patients to stay on the pain meds and stay ahead of the pain, work hard to get your knee straight first as the bend will come as swelling decreases and ice and elevate as much as you can to help mitigate swelling. Most patients have turned the corner by 4 weeks and then I tell them it will be 6 to 12 months before it feels “normal”.

07-Feb-21
Sorry for the double post.

08-Feb-21
I had two partial knee replacements and then a total on 4/17/2019 and another on 6/8/2019. I agree with a lot of the information above although my experiences may have differed a little. The nerve blocks do a good job of managing the pain while in the hospital. For me the intense pain was mostly gone after 4 days. The opiates did a great job of managing it during that time period and I was usually able to find a position in my recliner where I was mostly pain free and I could read, watch TV or sleep for a period of time. Try to have pain pills an hour before PT. During PT I tried to get in the mind set that "It hurts so good" and just focus on result. I think that you can over do the PT. Focus on ROM and not so much strength. Too much exercise increases swelling and hurts your progress. At least once a week my PT would tell me to not walk so much or far because she could see increased swelling. If you can get the ROM initially the strength will come later. More than once my ROM took a step backward and the PT told me that it was just fluid build up causing the reduced movement.

Overall the experience was not near has bad as I had feared. I think that a common problem is getting enough sleep as time goes on. Normal movement while sleeping would wake me up for weeks. The PT wanted me to sleep on my back with my leg straight. That make to hard for me to sleep. I decided screw that and used pillows to get everything comfortable. Then while I was watching TV I would put a looped around the ball of my foot and lift up while with both hands while straightening my leg. I would do 3 sets of 1 minute each several times a day and that got my leg straight w/o hurting my sleep as much. Good luck.

08-Feb-21
I had my right knee replaced in Feb of 2018 and my left knee replaced in Feb of 2019. I was walking with only a cane after 10 days and used it for about 3 weeks just for reassurance. I did not have any major pain. Obviously there has to be discomfort with what they do to your leg. Take, some pain medication before the pain gets bad and you can avoid some of the pain. I would suggest taking pain medication before going to therapy. The therapy can be uncomfortable but it has to be done if you want the best results. My sister-in-law who was nurse told me that she hoped my second knee would go half as good as my first one. Actually my second was quite bit easier. You will be amazed how much better you feel in few weeks. One day you will wake up and suddenly realize that your knee no longer hurts after dealing with pain for years prior to replacement. Good luck and do your therapy and exercises at home and you should be happy with the results.

08-Feb-21
First week sucks, forgot a out the challenge of sleeping

08-Feb-21
Had bilateral knee replacements 3 years ago at age 60. Knees were shot after a lifetime of being in construction, baseball, wrestling, etc. Was in pain for years. Went back to work after 6 weeks. Best thing I ever did. If you need both replaced, I suggest doing them both at the same time. But only if you are in decent shape and have a better half that can take good care of you. I enjoyed the rehab, went to 21 sessions. Its not easy but well worth it

08-Feb-21
If you’re out elk hunting avoid those dang pixie stick dead fall areas.

08-Feb-21
Good luck!!!

09-Feb-21
In Oct. I did my left knee. Same as you except one item. Bone on bone, arthritis, etc. etc. etc. OH and "NO ACL" the surgeon was surprised I was still trying to hunt as my ACL was torn in half and dead on each end. Probably been torn for a few years. Then I also did my right knee just before Christmas. Pain from the surgery was minimal for both of my knees. I was released from the hospital the same day on both and only did 2-3 days of pain meds. Then ibuprofen and tylenol alternating. I did take Tylenol PM for about 3 weeks to help me fall asleep. For me the uncomfortable part is the bone bruising irritation/ache. It lasts about 6-8 weeks for me on both knee's. I am in week 6 of PT and probably 1 more week and then ready to walk completely pain free for the first time in 15 years. I had a DR. keep telling me to put it off until I was 50. WORST ADVICE EVER!!! If it hurts get it fixed and get on with your life. Wish I'd done this years ago but so happy to have it done.

GOOD LUCK & PRAYERS FOR RECOVERY!

09-Feb-21
I just had a total replacement of the left knee on Dec. 18th. Worked with PT for 4 weeks. Doing my exercises on my own now. Still some soreness and stiffness, But that's to be expected as it's been just over 7 weeks since surgery. Hope to be ready by the first week of archery in Montana.

09-Feb-21
You'll be fine, I rehab probably 30 of these a year. Biggest thing I always tell people is don't compare...between you and your buddy, you and your bowsite brethren... or even between knees. Sometimes people get one done and they only need 3-4 weeks of PT and they're good to go, they then have their second one done and I'm seeing them for 10 weeks at no fault of their own. Every surgery is different even though they're all similar. Everyone heals differently, listen to your PT, hit it hard early and enjoy the rest of your life having very little knee pain. I've had people that did absolutely nothing at home and had a full recovery (some are just lucky) and people that really worked hard that didn't quite get there. Give yourself a chance and kick ass with the rehab.

Just survive the first couple weeks, stay ahead of the pain and do your exercises. Wean off a when you need to, everyone is in such a rush to get off the pain meds. Take them, it's important to the recovery....I think sleep often gets overlooked. Take what you need to get through the night.

09-Feb-21
Doctor said I was one of the lucky 1 to 2 percent that had nothing but bad luck. Worst thing I have ever done. Have had total knee replacement and a second surgery trying to fix the first. Only have about 80 degrees of movement and I never gave up on therapy. The therapist did he would work my knee until my eyes would roll back in my head and start to pass out so he gave up. The pain never goes away but I have learned to live with it and still hunt. Just no more 11,000 ft by myself hunting Hope you have better luck.

10-Feb-21
Remember Ice is your friend.

10-Feb-21
Thanks for all the info and encouragement .Got one question ,has anyone gotten more ROM after the surgery than you had before it ?

10-Feb-21
I certainly am much more flexible than I was for many years prior to surgery. If you do your therapy and do not do anything stupid (that stupid part was hard for me). You will be amazed how better you feel after a few months. I was told 18 months for complete healing.

10-Feb-21
more after? depended on what I did before! If I went for a hike, I could barely move my knee that night so yeah! don't have that issue now.

You won't be able to do some things, like my ortho told me my days of reading putts and squatting like a catcher where I sat on my heels were over. He also told me when doing squats, try not to go past thighs parallel to the floor, to much forward pressure on the knee. Remember you don't have an ACL/MCL any more.

19-Feb-21
I just wanted to touch base with the guys that responded to my post, and a little update on my surgery . Well I was operated on Monday 15th, doc said surgery went well , only issue on day of surgery was trying to go to the bathroom . Well after 3 hours of trying to go , I finally went and was out of surgery center at 4pm . Today being 4 days after my surgery , there have not been any surprises . The pain in the knee has not been bad , most of my pain is coming from the Quad/thigh muscle. I found out that pain is from the tourniquet that put on during surgery . Only other issue Im having I haven't taken #2 since the day before surgery . If anyone as any suggestions on that it will be helpful . Im assuming most of that is from the 6 meds the doctor has me on . Then we have the PT , that is pretty much what it is 'PAINFUL'. Thats again for all the well wishes .

19-Feb-21
As far as the number 2? Go get some good hot Mexican food. Extra beans and rice and make sure there is plenty of hot green chili and jalapeños. That ought to get the stomach churning;)

19-Feb-21
The constipation is caused by the pain pills - common side effect. Prunes, apple juice, and stool softeners are your friends - keep them up as long as you’re on pain medication. Good luck with your physical therapy!

19-Feb-21
Go to the baby section at Walmart and get some pear juice. Warm it up and drink some. DO NOT drink more than 8ozs! If it does not work in 8 hours try some more but it will work. Then take some every day until you are going to often.

19-Feb-21
Not sure it's the pain meds, cause I pretty much didn't use them, but also didn't crap for a few days and then just rock hard "rabbit pellets" at first. It'll pass, try some constipation medicine

19-Feb-21
Pope: had the same bathroom problem they finally cathered out about a pint, surgeon said the bladder was slow waking up. We tried two different pain meds, neither worked but they sure plug you up.

19-Feb-21
Yep, pain meds are causing the constipation. I didn't go #2 until 5 days after surgery and then it was like elk pellets. Start on some type of stool softener. The nurses kept asking me if I was farting. I told them yes and they said good. I'll tell you, your quad is gonna be sore for about 3-4 weeks from the tourniquet they used on your thigh. I am 7 1/2 weeks post op now and recovering good.

19-Feb-21
They had me on these PITA compression socks on both legs. I guess worried about blood flow. They were a pain but hang in there and go through the PT ladies.

19-Feb-21
Keep at it, stool softener will really help. That was advised for me surprised they didn't say something. Pain meds do that for sure.

19-Feb-21
Here you go its called a geriatric cocktail 1 dose of milk of magnesium,prune juice,some butter warm enough to melt the butter which acts as a lubricant it works do not get impacted this came from a nurse actually my sister in law

• Sitka Gear