Bob H in NH 15-Feb-21
MathewsMan 15-Feb-21
LKH 15-Feb-21
Candor 15-Feb-21
Chief 419 15-Feb-21
txhunter58 17-Feb-21
808bowhunter 17-Feb-21
15-Feb-21
I have an elk hunt booked for this fall. Planning on flying into Denver and then driving to camp. Has anyone used air travel and how did you manage meat and rack on the return

15-Feb-21
For me. I pack my stuff in boxes and mail back home. I mail my bow back also. Meat I debone and have frozen. Put in coolers and bring in on the plane. Make sure each coolers under 50 Lbs. It pricey But?? Horns I warp up and ship home UPS, last time it was like $250. If it's a smaller bull take a few measurement and split the rack, it be much cheaper to ship. Ed

15-Feb-21
I did it when I lived on Oahu. First off I borrowed a buddies pickup and camper so renting a vehicle was a non issue.

Then I did 45# ice chests with dry ice and paid the fees for each additional 50#.

15-Feb-21
I've done it it frozen meat in boxes with 5lbs/box of dry ice. Keep it under the limits and you pay the standard baggage fees, go over the limits it gets expensive

Ship your clothes, rack etc. back (unless you are bringing the cape, I just brought the antlers/skull cap) and bow via UPS or other.

15-Feb-21
Hi. The last 2 trips, I have shipped clothes and antlers back UPS, one time out of Denver.

Delta charges checked bags (50lbs) of $30 for first bag, $40, $150 and $200 for each after that...I have checked 150 lbs of meat...I then have put about 40lbs of frozen meat in a dry bag in back pack as carry-on and another 20-30 in a smaller drybag.

I have simply put wrapped, frozen meat in 40 liter dry bags from Walmart...They are perfect size for 50 lbs...No issues and no leaking...Meat has stayed frozen from both Missoula and Denver to NY.

It is a pain if you are by yourself and is a separate adventure in itself.

This fall, my return trip will be first class...comes out only slightly more expensive but allows first two checked bags at 70 lbs "free"...plus, you don't have to be one of those guys walking to the back of the plane with 70 lbs in your "carry on." :)

Check your baggage limits. My flights only allow up to 4 checked bags.

Take care. Mike

15-Feb-21
Don’t use the US postal service to ship anything!!

They took over 2 weeks to ship my cooler filled with deer meat from Denver to Louisiana. Everything was rotten and had to be thrown away. That was package was supposed to take three days to get here. I sent another package with a USB jump drive from Louisiana to Oregon. I mailed it on Dec. 5th. It showed up in my mailbox last week as undelivered mail. The package looked like it had been laying in a mud puddle on the side of the road for a couple of months. I have another package coming USPS that is late being delivered.

Avoid USPS if at all possible until this COVID mess has been straightened out. I haven’t had any problems with FedEx or UPS. They’ll be expensive, but USPS is unreliable at this time.

15-Feb-21
Aubs8 has a point. Add up baggage fees, then check a 1st class ticket for just the way home. 2 free 70lb bags, you will get a meal, drinks and a comfy seat. Wife a did that and flew home with 2 mulies, 2 pronghorn and our gun case. For about the same as coach would ha e xost6

15-Feb-21
You can always rent a car for the return trip.

15-Feb-21
Chief 419. You are the first guy I've ever heard of to use the post office to ship meat. Not surprised at the result.

It is the best way to ship gear you don't need right away to your home.

15-Feb-21
No, the most recent CV stimulus package will fix all of the USPS's problems!

Sorry to gum up your thread. My cynicism is high tonight.

15-Feb-21
LKH, I had someone ship the meat to me and didn’t have any input on shipping. It was the cheapest method, but Covid has USPS completely messed up. Get what you pay for I guess. There’s no excuse for damaging packages though, Covid or not.

MathewsMan’s advice is probably the best solution if you have additional time to drive home.

17-Feb-21
Sometimes you can find a processor that will arrange shipping if you process with them. If they don’t they usually know someone who does.

As stated, best to plan on taking a couple of boxes of meat on the plane with you as baggage. I take my gear/clothes in a packer box. Makes it easier to ship home. But you still have to bring your gun home on the plane. So that is still your first checked bag

17-Feb-21

808bowhunter's embedded Photo
808bowhunter's embedded Photo
Ship it frozen in coolers as checked luggage as said. Flying to Hawaii every time and meat is still frozen. No dry ice needed. I always split rack and mail home usps. Slow but cheap. Usually 70$ or so but I wrap a buck of gear in empty pockets. It’s a lot easier when you don’t kill! This is 3 6 point racks headed home

• Sitka Gear