Mertyman 10-Mar-21
12yards 10-Mar-21
Bake 10-Mar-21
BIGHORN 10-Mar-21
t-roy 10-Mar-21
bghunter 10-Mar-21
bghunter 10-Mar-21
15-Feb-21
My wife and I are looking into booking a trip to New Zealand for 2022. (hopefully) I’m looking for input on non hunting activities, daytrips, etc. things to do after the hunting portion of trip. We would be on the South Island, but are open to activities on the north island as well.

The activities on second part of the trip would be geared mostly towards my wife’s tastes. Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

15-Feb-21
"...geared mostly towards my wife’s tastes."

It would help if we knew what that means. My wife would much rather be on a wilderness hike than shopping, after SHE was done hunting, of course.

15-Feb-21
She’s pretty much open to most anything, Ziek. Shopping, hiking, wine tours, spas, photography, or anything else that others on here found interesting/enjoyable, must see stuff while on their trips to NZ.

15-Feb-21
Was there two years ago, did a bus tour of the North Island, and a circumnavigation of the South. Bus tour was better, more local history. Did not go to hunt.

Terry

15-Feb-21

Medicinemann's Link
There is a place on the western side of the south island that is famous for "glowworms". It struck me as being pretty touristy. I think it was near Greymouth or Hoikitika...However, if I have attached the correct link, the second half of the link may be somewhat helpful. Especially that restaurant in Haast, that served the seafood chowder and Foster's ale. I paid $17NZ (in 2013) and my only regret is that I didn't order a second bowl. If you are going down there in late March, it's the rugby playoffs.... BTW, booking your flights in March will be MUCH more expensive than booking them in April, as March is still considered prime travel season (although I don't know how much Covid has messed with airfares)....whereas April is not, and thus much cheaper. Additionally, red stags roar more in early April than late March. Do everything in your power to get aisle seats!!!

15-Feb-21
I just read your thread last night, Jake! Our tentative hunt dates are April 4th—8th, so hopefully that helps with airfare costs. Also, good to know that about the roar, as that will be my primary target, plus, possibly a tahr as well.

15-Feb-21
The seafood was great. People were very friendly. Hunting is very well accepted. Don't forget about the Big Bikkie and Kapiti (ice creams on a stick)! If your wife likes wines, you are golden.....Either take new boots, or make sure that your broken-in boots are absolutely spotless. They are very serious about footwear (and the potential to bring in unwanted bugs, etc). Start watching the exchange rates for NZ dollars. You might be able to accumulate some at a great rate between now and the time that you leave.

15-Feb-21
took my wife and kids a few years ago.shotover jetboat ride was a big hit-you can you tube it to see. We did and over night on a boat in Doubtful Sound (Milford Sound also has it) where you kayak around the fiords early and late and have breakfast and supper on the boat,it was pretty cool with seals and lots of waterfalls. They also have some good wineries and glaciers and Mount Cook to see. We went to a pro rugby game which was a blast also. You can also go to the swazi place to shop

15-Feb-21
No experience myself, but have read for many years about the excellent trout fishing opportunities.

16-Feb-21
Shotover Canyon Swing

16-Feb-21

16-Feb-21
I remember Jake and his Mrs thread back in the day, read like a lot of fun.

I've got a niece that lives in New Zealand, if ya want I can reach out to her and get you her email and your Mrs can get some idea's going?

Good luck, Robb

16-Feb-21
Take a tour of 'Hobbitton' - set from LotR/Hobbit movies.

Borrow the dvd of those movies and there are some 'bonus' features showing the locations where they filmed the movies.

16-Feb-21

FORESTBOWS 's embedded Photo
FORESTBOWS 's embedded Photo
I have a friend over there. He and his wife run a hunting/tour Business. Super people! Mike Biemond Real kiwi hunting.

18-Feb-21
I tossed ya some info buddy

Good luck, Robb

19-Feb-21
Feel free to message me but there are tons of things to do in New Zealand, especially the south island. Queenstown is a huge hub for activities. We did a non hunting trip there a couple christmas’ ago purely on the south island. We did vineyards, fly fishing, penguin tours, parasailing, hiking, river boarding, shopping, touring, and golfing. You can also ski in hunting season. The south island is full of adventure beyond hunting. And theres lots of hunting as I shot 5 animals in 7 days with a bow years ago.

20-Feb-21
Mt Cook is nice peak to Climb

10-Mar-21
PM sent

10-Mar-21
What inyago said! No way I could go there and not fish trout. In fact, I'd go there to fish trout.

10-Mar-21
Saving this thread. I'd like to do Spain and NZ with (non-hunting) wife in the next 5 or 6 years.

Good luck!

10-Mar-21
Once in Queenstown there is a short bus trip that takes you to a ship that goes out to the sea. Lots of tall waterfalls, dolphins and nice scenery. Also, on the north side there is a narrow road that will take you across a high wooden bridge to an old town. We really liked the west coast where you get a good vision of the Tasman Sea. If up north you will see banded cows.

10-Mar-21
Thanks for all of the input so far, guys! We’re still leaning towards going, but haven’t totally committed to it yet, though.

10-Mar-21
T roy, I would go. My wife loved it and she doesn't hunt. Between the overnight cruise on Tasmin sea, helicopter ride, whitewater rafting, jet boat, penguin tour, gondala and hike down mountain and the wine tasting. She loved every minute of it. All those tours too, were not very expensive either.

10-Mar-21
I would add we enjoyed just walking around Queenstown and hitting the bars and resturants. We are pretty simple and Ferburger hamburgers and a small fish and chips place were excellent. Look at staying at Peppers hotel or lodge. Very short walk along the lake to everything in downtown Queenstown

• Sitka Gear