INbowdude 11-Apr-21
Ytailhtr / Home 12-Apr-21
Mint 12-Apr-21
WYOelker 13-Apr-21
Hawkarcher 13-Apr-21
petedrummond 13-Apr-21
Bou'bound 13-Apr-21
17-Feb-21
Hey all, goin to Texas to hunt boar. Looking for some methods of preparing the meat. I do have a traeger and a smoker. Thanks ahead of time for any input.

17-Feb-21
You can't hidenthe flavor if its "tainted" in a mature boar-some are,some aren't.Slice off a thin piece of ham and throw it in a frying pan if its tainted you'll smell it-if so make sausage,if not cook it low and slow to the safe temperature like domestic pork

17-Feb-21
We hunted hogs in S Central TX for 20+ years. Probably killed and butchered 200 or so hogs ranging from 25 to North of 300 # and never really had a "bad" one.

The key to cooking hogs is to dress them cool the carcus quickly. When cooking remember they'll typically have very little fat, so don't over cook.

If you want to BBQ, remember LOW and SLOW; wrap in foil when they're about 20 degrees below the desired temp to prevent drying out.

Also, if you're going to make sausage you'll want to add fat....about 15% will keep it nice; or add domestic pork at a 60/40 hog to domestic pork ratio.

Hope this helps.

17-Feb-21
Sauté some mushrooms and onions. Deglaze the pan with some Sherry. Then cook in the Sherry in the pan.

17-Feb-21
My favorites:

Loin- Marinate in Stubbs Pork Marinade, grill to about 145 internal temp.

Ribs- Low and slow, with your favorite rub, followed by a mustard coating, foil wrapped with a little apple cider vinegar, until they just about fall off the bone. Sauce and finish on a hot grill.

Remaining meat: I just cut the hams and shoulder meat into chunks, and make carne asade with my Sous Vide (I'd have to look up the recipe). Shred it, and put it on a tortilla with fresh made pico de gallo.

18-Feb-21
Shoulders or hams, 1 cup of apple cider vinegar, 1 cup of water, season to your taste, cover meat with 1 pound of beacon , put in roasting pan with lid on @ 275 DEG. cook until it falls of the bone. I do deer shoulders the same way . Forrest

18-Feb-21
I go to Georgia a couple times a year ad shoot a few hogs. I cook them like I would cook domestic pork. Recently I have been using my Instant Pot which is no more than a pressure cooker. It is amazing how tender it comes out in 45 minutes.

18-Feb-21

Skippy's embedded Photo
Skippy's embedded Photo
Can’t go wrong on the smoker low & slow.

19-Feb-21
Carne Adovada

1 (3½- to 4-pound) boneless pork butt roast, trimmed and cut into 1½-inch pieces 1 tablespoon Kosher salt 4 ounces dried New Mexican Chiles, wiped clean, stemmed, seeded, and torn into 1-inch pieces

4 cups boiling water 2 chicken bouillon cubes

2 tablespoons honey

2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar

5 garlic cloves, peeled

2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano

2 teaspoon ground cumin

½ teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon ground clove

Toss pork and 1 tablespoon salt together in bowl; refrigerate for 1 hour.

Place chiles in medium bowl. Pour boiling water over chiles, making sure they are completely submerged, and let stand until softened, 30 minutes. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees.

Drain chiles and reserve 2 cups soaking liquid, add 2 chicken bouillon cubes. Process chiles, honey, vinegar, garlic, oregano, cumin, cayenne, cloves, and 1 teaspoon salt in blender until chiles are finely ground and thick paste forms, about 30 seconds. With blender running, add 1 cup reserved liquid and process until smooth, 1½ to 2 minutes, adding up to ¼ cup additional reserved liquid to maintain vortex. Add remaining reserved liquid and continue to blend sauce at high speed, 1 minute longer.

Combine pork and chile sauce in Dutch oven, stirring to make sure pork is evenly coated. Bring to boil over high heat. Cover pot, transfer to oven, and cook until pork is tender and fork inserted into pork meets little to no resistance, 2 to 2½ hours.

Using wooden spoon, scrape any browned bits from sides of pot and stir until pork and sauce are recombined and sauce is smooth and homogeneous. Let stand, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Season with salt to taste. Serve with lime wedges. (Leftover pork can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.)

21-Feb-21
Can’t go wrong on the smoker low & slow.

21-Feb-21
I shot a small boat this year,150 # made chicken fried steak out of the back straps, was awesome. Will slice some up and make stir fry tonight

21-Feb-21
Nothing beats wild hog breakfast sausage

21-Feb-21
Butterfly the straps long ways and stuff them with mushrooms, breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese they roll up and tie. Cook however you would like, bake or grill.

11-Apr-21
honest-food.net

Hank Shaw is a master with wild game. There are many splendid recipes, so far I have not found a bad one on the list. Enjoy.

11-Apr-21
I’ve killed and eaten about 30 hogs from the southeast (GA, FL) and a half dozen from Texas. The flavor of wild hogs will be heavily influenced by age, sex, whether the hog is rutting, shot location, field care, and most importantly genetics. Pigs in OK and TX have genetic connection to Russian wild boar. Most pigs in the SE are genetically connected to Hogs brought by the Spaniards. Russian hogs are definitely gamier in flavor IMO. Spaniard hogs taste just like pork from the supermarket, just leaner and a little tougher. Never ate a gamey hog from the SE. Most of my TX hogs had a gamey odor and flavor even though they were properly taken care of in the field. So what to do with gamey hogs? Marinade, marinade, marinade! Soak the meat in milk for a day and it will remove most of the gamey flavor. Strongly flavored marinades work well. Try the Mexican marinade “mojo criollo.” It uses a lot of citrus juices, garlic, and black pepper. Asian marinated that are soy sauce based work fairly well. As others have mentioned, grind some meat into sausage.

11-Apr-21
I’ve killed and eaten about 30 hogs from the southeast (GA, FL) and a half dozen from Texas. The flavor of wild hogs will be heavily influenced by age, sex, whether the hog is rutting, shot location, field care, and most importantly genetics. Pigs in OK and TX have genetic connection to Russian wild boar. Most pigs in the SE are genetically connected to Hogs brought by the Spaniards. Russian hogs are definitely gamier in flavor IMO. Spaniard hogs taste just like pork from the supermarket, just leaner and a little tougher. Never ate a gamey hog from the SE. Most of my TX hogs had a gamey odor and flavor even though they were properly taken care of in the field. So what to do with gamey hogs? Marinade, marinade, marinade! Soak the meat in milk for a day and it will remove most of the gamey flavor. Strongly flavored marinades work well. Try the Mexican marinade “mojo criollo.” It uses a lot of citrus juices, garlic, and black pepper. Asian marinated that are soy sauce based work fairly well. As others have mentioned, grind some meat into sausage.

11-Apr-21
I need to dig up my cookbook, "Swine and Dine"!

12-Apr-21

12-Apr-21
I wouldn't cook any wild hog lower than 165 internal temperature. They will eat carrion and they can carry other diseases. They tend to be pretty lean so I will cook hams and shoulders to about 160 on the smoker then wrap and finish up in the oven so they don't dry out. If they have plenty of fat then I'll cook on the smoker to 195 to 200 degrees for pulled pork.

13-Apr-21
Our favorite it so take a chunk, marinate it in Italian seasoning and apple cider for 24+ hours. Put in is large aluminum pan and cover with Italian dressing and slow cook for hours on the grill. After about 4 hours add a ton of apples and onion and slow cook again. Usually 6-8 hours on low then at the end turn up the heat to make sure internal temp is up to mark...

pull from the fire, let rest shred in the dressings and have the apples onions and dressing all together.

13-Apr-21
I made carnitas while camping last year (friend's hog, I've never killed one). In a Dutch oven with orange juice, coumin and chili powder, et al. Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Cooked to 195 to pull apart and eat on tortillas. Went over great.

Also smoked a front shoulder and leg like I would for domestic pork. Much leaner so dried out easily and had a different flavor. Would brine and be more mindful of wrapping for last couple hours next time.

13-Apr-21
I just turn it all over into Italian sausage.

13-Apr-21
I have found it to be pretty tough most of the time. Slow cook helps

• Sitka Gear